Resigning after one week

Hi hopefully this is in the right group.
I started a new job last Monday as did my previous boss in another company (after both being made redundant). Early impressions on my side were that it was not the culture and work environment that I am used to and did not like it. Then my previous boss rang me and said that there was an opportunity in her team and basically the job is mine if I wanted it. I accepted the offer as I like working with her.
Therefore I am going to resign. I have a two week notice period but I see little value in it as I have only just started the training. I am planning to resign by email and return the company equipment to the office before everyone comes in to avoid the awkward conversations tomorrow morning.
I know this sounds inpersonal but at the end of the day the company could make me redundant at any time.
I suppose I am asking does this sound ok to do? I know the company would never offer me a job again but I know you should not burn your bridges.

Comments

• Sometimes, you have to do what you have to do.

Days in' is best time as opposed to weeks and months on.

Trust your gut instincts.
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I am planning to resign by email and return the company equipment to the office before everyone comes in to avoid the awkward conversations tomorrow morning.

Seriously? You are going to leave with no notice, putting you in breach of contract, just to avoid having a slightly awkward conversation?

I think you just need to toughen up a little bit and do the decent thing. Go in, tell your manager the situation, and ask if they'll agree to reduce the notice (they almost certainly will). Say goodbye to any new people you met.

For the sake of one short conversation you will leave on much better terms, and also be honouring the contract you have signed.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 April 2019 at 3:53PM
    Hi hopefully this is in the right group.
    I started a new job last Monday as did my previous boss in another company (after both being made redundant). Early impressions on my side were that it was not the culture and work environment that I am used to and did not like it.
    It is your call but you have hardly given the new job a fair chance. Any change will feel strange and it takes time to bed-in.
    Then my previous boss rang me and said that there was an opportunity in her team and basically the job is mine if I wanted it. I accepted the offer as I like working with her. Understandable.
    Therefore I am going to resign. I have a two week notice period but I see little value in it as I have only just started the training.
    Whether you see value in it is irrelevant. If you have agreed to that as part of the T's&C's of your employment then you should stick to it. If you new employer takes the same view they may release you early.
    I am planning to resign by email and return the company equipment to the office before everyone comes in to avoid the awkward conversations tomorrow morning.
    I would find that both rude disappointing from someone that you have had the decency to officer a job to.
    I know this sounds inpersonal but at the end of the day the company could make me redundant at any time.
    That is also irrelevant and is nothing more than your way of justifying you bad behaviour to yourself. If they made you redundant I am sure that they would honour your notice period. I am also sure that you would be very indignant if the did not.
    I suppose I am asking does this sound ok to do?
    No, it does not. Not in any way.
    I know the company would never offer me a job again but I know you should not burn your bridges.

It is more than burning bridges. You would not be able to ask this employer for a reference and, if you are in an industry where people know each other, your poor attitude may come back to bite you at some future stage.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I would say trust your instincts and go, but you MUST fulfil your contractual obligations (they may not insist on it, Hard to believe you’ve become indepsnsible after a week).
    Hand in your notice properly and be prepared to work the 2 weeks but there is nothing wrong with asking if you can leave earlier.
    Some times it’s better for both sides to cut their losses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure