Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 21st Nov 18, 1:23 PM
    • 418Posts
    • 149Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: Ofgem proposes new tests for energy suppliers to get licences
    • 21st Nov 18, 1:23 PM
    MSE News: Ofgem proposes new tests for energy suppliers to get licences 21st Nov 18 at 1:23 PM
    New energy suppliers may have to pass financial and customer service tests in order to obtain a licence, the energy regulator has said...
    Read the full story:
    'Ofgem proposes new tests for energy suppliers to get licences'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 21st Nov 18, 1:33 PM
    • 6,840 Posts
    • 4,395 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 21st Nov 18, 1:33 PM
    • 21st Nov 18, 1:33 PM
    Oh MSE - you really need to do your research. This change is not down to MSE or ML: that said, I do not doubt that the added pressure helped. I think that Citizens Advice may have been there first: but we really shouldn’t let the facts get in the way of another MSE success!

https://wearecitizensadvice.org.uk/to-supply-or-not-supply-7e2b5ea5dc5f

Quote: GB Energy’s failure has highlighted Citizens Advice’s long standing concerns about the licensing process in the energy market. We think that there need to be more checks and balances put in place before companies start supplying this essential service to households. Unquote

Note the date: Feb 2017
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 6th Dec 18, 1:53 PM
    • 4,094 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 6th Dec 18, 1:53 PM
    • 6th Dec 18, 1:53 PM
    I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the customer service test: It would appear that the Big Six have already failed in customer service so does it mean that new energy suppliers will need to have better procedures than the Big Six? Comes across to me as dice which are heavily loaded.

What really needs to be done is to appraise unrealistic low prices. At this time suppliers either maintain their low prices and go bust or increase their prices, lose their customers and still go bust. There is a third option as with Outfox which enforces prepayment of energy a la Powershop.

Personally, I don't envy whoever's job it is to construct these tests and then to answer inquiries when the new procedures fail.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 6th Dec 18, 8:32 PM
    • 12,739 Posts
    • 17,364 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 6th Dec 18, 8:32 PM
    • 6th Dec 18, 8:32 PM
    Ofgem's customer service test: how many packs of custard creams can the supplier bring to our offices and we can eat before we puke violently all over our office carpets that are paid for by the taxpayer?
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
    I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 6th Dec 18, 9:48 PM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 69,690 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 6th Dec 18, 9:48 PM
    • 6th Dec 18, 9:48 PM
    Why pick on custard creams?
    • joe134
    • By joe134 7th Dec 18, 10:11 AM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    joe134
    • 7th Dec 18, 10:11 AM
    • 7th Dec 18, 10:11 AM
    Ofgem have to be seen to do something to warrant their existence and big bucks, even if it is only a whitewash.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,528Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Lord Sugar just said "she's talking like she's a 50 year old, she knows it inside out?" Genuine question if ther? https://t.co/6cZJ9d2Cni

• Follow Martin