Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • orangesnaps
    • By orangesnaps 15th Nov 18, 4:40 PM
    • 57Posts
    • 25Thanks
    orangesnaps
    Outfox The Market Direct Debit changes
    • 15th Nov 18, 4:40 PM
    Outfox The Market Direct Debit changes 15th Nov 18 at 4:40 PM
    We switched from Eon to OTM on late May of this year. Our monthly debit is £100.21, we are currently £370+ in credit. Our monthly bill is £50-70 & that's with the meter reading (no estimates). I've just got an email that they are hiking our DD to £140.29 without any way to decline it. I don't agree with it. Once the bill for this month comes which will be about the same usage from last month, we will be in credit for £400+. How much more do they want?

We can't switch without avoiding the exit fee as we are in a fixed tariff with them.
    From our experience with Eon, they gave the customer the option to lower the direct debit to a certain point.
    Last edited by orangesnaps; 15-11-2018 at 5:19 PM.
Page 45
    • hubb
    • By hubb 7th Dec 18, 11:13 AM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    hubb
    Good luck anyone emailing them about cancelling DD. They do not respond.
    • paters
    • By paters 7th Dec 18, 11:16 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    paters
    Reading other peoples experiences with OFTM, you've got somewhere between Bob Hope and 'no hope' of getting even a reply.
    Originally posted by dprice8893

If they don't reply, then go ahead and reverse the DD. At least you've got something to go back on if OTM try to bill you the £25 fee.
    • Organza_Lace
    • By Organza_Lace 7th Dec 18, 11:20 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 2,606 Thanks
    Organza_Lace
    Good luck anyone emailing them about cancelling DD. They do not respond.
    Originally posted by hubb
    Correct. The only way you will get any response out of them is if you phone them and sit in the queue.

I rang last night and got a promise that the email sent to me yesterday was an error in accounts and no money would be taken out in the future. Even so, i'm still going to check my bank account on a daily basis in case they try and sneak a crafty direct debit in. They want £262 every month.....Thats almost the whole of my bill money gone on one utility!
    • Organza_Lace
    • By Organza_Lace 7th Dec 18, 11:46 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 2,606 Thanks
    Organza_Lace
    I just dont believe it. Ive just had to cancel another direct debit set up by OFTM.
    • moselej1
    • By moselej1 7th Dec 18, 11:52 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    moselej1
    OTFM direct debit
    Iíve cancelled direct debit and switched to SSE.spent 35 mins in phone queue and guy I spoke to just told me the increase is to do with new structure of taking higher payments thro winter and lower thro summer.However if they go bust then they are collecting an awful lot of over payments.He advised if I donít like it then to switch to new supplier and hung up on me.
    Iím going to keep an eye as to whether they re set it up.
    • Organza_Lace
    • By Organza_Lace 7th Dec 18, 12:07 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 2,606 Thanks
    Organza_Lace
    He advised if I don’t like it then to switch to new supplier and hung up on me.
    Ive had the same 'if you dont like it, leave conversation but in all fairness, they must be having to deal with thousands of irate customers and at the end of the day, they are only saying what they are being paid to say.
    • wild666
    • By wild666 7th Dec 18, 12:16 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    wild666
    I am cancelling my DD next Friday that's when I move to the new supplier. I will email them also and tell them it has been cancelled and if they try to take any more payments I will take them to court for trying to obtain money by deception, Fraud. I will have them in court so quick they won't know what's hit them.
    Someone please tell me what money is
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 7th Dec 18, 12:21 PM
    • 718 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    wavelets
    Iíve cancelled direct debit and switched to SSE.spent 35 mins in phone queue and guy I spoke to just told me the increase is to do with new structure of taking higher payments thro winter and lower thro summer.However if they go bust then they are collecting an awful lot of over payments.He advised if I donít like it then to switch to new supplier and hung up on me.
    Iím going to keep an eye as to whether they re set it up.
    Originally posted by moselej1
    OFTM are not collecting 'overpayments', but rather are collecting payments more aligned to usage.
    i.e. in summer you use less, so will pay less; in winter you will use more so will pay more.

Most suppliers collect a simple fixed amount eaxh and every month (although some of the small ones do also collect higher payments over the fisrt winter, if you join them in the rum up to this period, and some do not allow you to go into debit at all - as that is one way the smaller suppliers keep their prices low)

If you are with a supplier that collects a fixed amount every month, and join them say at the end of winter, they are the ones that will accrue large credits on customer accounts.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 7th Dec 18, 12:30 PM
    • 718 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    wavelets
    I am cancelling my DD next Friday that's when I move to the new supplier. I will email them also and tell them it has been cancelled and if they try to take any more payments I will take them to court for trying to obtain money by deception, Fraud. I will have them in court so quick they won't know what's hit them.
    Originally posted by wild666
    How will you do that?
    • Organza_Lace
    • By Organza_Lace 7th Dec 18, 12:40 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 2,606 Thanks
    Organza_Lace
    if they try to take any more payments I will take them to court for trying to obtain money by deception, Fraud. I will have them in court so quick they won't know what's hit them.
    Originally posted by wild666
    it would be a lot simpler and less stress if you just reversed the direct debit.
    • Barneybear1
    • By Barneybear1 7th Dec 18, 1:01 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Barneybear1
    Wavelets I think you have miss read peoples posts, oftm are not increasing the dd by 70%for winter but by in excess of 100% despite being in credit in my case.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 7th Dec 18, 1:13 PM
    • 718 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    wavelets
    Wavelets I think you have miss read peoples posts, oftm are not increasing the dd by 70%for winter but by in excess of 100% despite being in credit in my case.
    Originally posted by Barneybear1
    Barneybear1 I think you have miss read my posts

I have not said that OFTM are oftm are increasing the dd by 70% for winter (although the manner in which they intend to collect payments is indeed one part of the current issue)

The fuller picture is given in theis recent MSE article
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/11/outfox-the-market-hikes-energy-bills-a-third-time-and-increases-/

And there has been a report of a further price rise here:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/11/outfox-the-market-hits-customers-with-fourth-price-hike-in-just-/

But if, having taken everything into consideration (the OFTM error they have accepted, the change to their collection process, the 4th increase in 6 months, your account balance currently, etc) you still feel the change to be unfair, well MSE have an article about that too

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/lower-energy-direct-debits/
    • Barneybear1
    • By Barneybear1 7th Dec 18, 1:31 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Barneybear1
    Wavelets you stated
    OFTM are not collecting 'overpayments', but rather are collecting payments more aligned to usage.
    i.e. in summer you use less, so will pay less; in winter you will use more so will pay more.

This is simply not true, they are trying to take far more than winter aligned usage, they rebuked the previous did price increase, but since have tried it again with a even h
    • Barneybear1
    • By Barneybear1 7th Dec 18, 1:32 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Barneybear1
    Even higher dd hairbrainef scheme
    • ukcobra
    • By ukcobra 7th Dec 18, 1:37 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ukcobra
    Fed up waiting for a email response, it has been 3 weeks so far. Currently waiting on their IVR. 35 people in the queue, and it appears to be a 30+ minute wait.
    • peterx
    • By peterx 7th Dec 18, 2:19 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    peterx
    Fed up waiting for a email response, it has been 3 weeks so far. Currently waiting on their IVR. 35 people in the queue, and it appears to be a 30+ minute wait.
    Originally posted by ukcobra
    Whats the point as they are not authorised to do anything about D/D or amounts.
    • ukcobra
    • By ukcobra 7th Dec 18, 2:40 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ukcobra
    Update : After waiting 45 minutes on hold and a 15 minutes conversation.
    It appears that the Customer Phone Agents are equally unable to actually do anything.
    I have a credit of £233 , and my current Direct Debit is £159 p/m, they want to increase it to £239 p/m.
    They will offer a D/D review by a finance colleague, to take into account my credit balance. They cannot say when this will happen.
    They will NOT offer a refund of the credit account, they say they need to keep the money to pay for 1 months usage. So they want their cake and eat it as well.
    I told them they were in breach of Condition 27 of the Gas Supply License, where they have to refund a credit amount if the customer asks for it.

In summary, I wasted an hour to get no where with OFTM.
    They want the extra money, they don't want to refund any credit. They are not listening to their customers, which will be their downfall.

So I am waiting still on their Finance review to reduce the D/D.
    If they fail to change the D/D, then it will get recalled by my bank, I told OFTM this. I will also make a complaint to OFGEM about them failing to follow their own process and non-compliant with Condition 27 of the Gas Supply License.
    The Agents are stressed, they are spending all their time talking to some very unhappy customers. Shame on their management for putting them into this position.
    • Organza_Lace
    • By Organza_Lace 7th Dec 18, 2:48 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 2,606 Thanks
    Organza_Lace
    The Agents are stressed, they are spending all their time talking to some very unhappy customers. Shame on their management for putting them into this position.
    I totally agree.
    • randm
    • By randm 7th Dec 18, 3:07 PM
    • 382 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    randm
    i had the same email regarding foxglove setting up a d.d.
    can i ask, is foxglove outfox ? because my current dd is taken by outfox, and also, is this new dd just because outfox is doing the winter price upping, or are outfox and foxglove both going to take dd from me
    (trying to get an answer from them is impossible)
    they are still the cheapest for me until 1st jan, when i have set up a switch.
    • Bob Hamer
    • By Bob Hamer 7th Dec 18, 3:22 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bob Hamer
    OFTM have finally gone too far! I am £105 in credit after 5 months with them and they want to increase my DD by 49%. Well it isnít going to happen - iím off. Just done a 12-month fixed deal with Octopus which will save me £35 per month. The way OFTM is behaving suggests to me they have a cash flow problem and they wonít be around much longer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

175Posts Today

2,284Users online

Martin's Twitter