Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • orangesnaps
    • By orangesnaps 15th Nov 18, 4:40 PM
    • 57Posts
    • 25Thanks
    orangesnaps
    Outfox The Market Direct Debit changes
    • 15th Nov 18, 4:40 PM
    Outfox The Market Direct Debit changes 15th Nov 18 at 4:40 PM
    We switched from Eon to OTM on late May of this year. Our monthly debit is £100.21, we are currently £370+ in credit. Our monthly bill is £50-70 & that's with the meter reading (no estimates). I've just got an email that they are hiking our DD to £140.29 without any way to decline it. I don't agree with it. Once the bill for this month comes which will be about the same usage from last month, we will be in credit for £400+. How much more do they want?

We can't switch without avoiding the exit fee as we are in a fixed tariff with them.
    From our experience with Eon, they gave the customer the option to lower the direct debit to a certain point.
    Last edited by orangesnaps; 15-11-2018 at 5:19 PM.
Page 2
    • Ally W
    • By Ally W 15th Nov 18, 6:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ally W
    Rip Off
    Dear Sirs.

Sent to OFTM , I await a response from the bandits

Today I received my email regarding the new direct debit scheme in which you calculate my annual electricity usage as a monetary value as opposed to the normal industry standard of KWh.

Please take time and fully digest the contents of this email.

You have advised the following

Annual Cost £2321.70 Existing DD £154.78 Winter DD £270.87 Summer DD £116.09

As you will see my current direct debit is £154.78 which annually equates to a usage of £1857.36. In very recent emails with your company attached we agreed that based on my annual usage for the previous 4 years including the last 12 months up to 8th October 2018 my usage would be calculated on an annual consumption of 14000 KWh. As you do not list the estimated KWh usage I can only assume that the price quoted is based on that figure.

Over the next 12 months you have estimated that I will spend £2321.70 plus the £323.91 that I am presently in credit with you. That is a grand total of £2645.71

When you compare this against last yearís spend of £1758.22 (Taken from my bills) you have estimated an increase in electricity consumption of £563.48 but when you add in my the credit on my account this equates to an increase of £887.39. Taken as a percentage of last yearís bill, this represents an increase of 50.4%.

In your email of 13th November 2018 advising the price increase (2 days ago) you quoted my annual costs as follows

Projected Annual cost £1856.45 New cost £2032.18 Increase £175.73

My direct debit was set for £154.78 giving me the annual usage of £1857.36. With your 10.9% increase as detailed in the aforesaid email my annual bill was to be £2032.18. When you divide this figure into 12 equal monthly payments it amount to a direct debit of £169.35 and this does not take into account the credit I carried over from last year.

Can you also please provide me with the KWh estimate you have used to calculate next yearís usage on as it is not detailed in any of you correspondence. Based on my explanation above I would like you to justify the 50.4% increase you have saddled me with.
    • orangesnaps
    • By orangesnaps 15th Nov 18, 6:11 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    orangesnaps
    That was two months ago maybe more, they would have sent an email asking you whether you accept the price hike think around £3.5 p/m for us. Was around £56, now £59.6 p/m
    Originally posted by hareng
    That was from a chat today. I am on a fixed tariff so wasn't affected with the price increase. I still object to the direct debit change, do they think people get paid more for winter? I am already in credit for nearly £400, how much more do they want? And before anyone else say if I am sure that I'm in credit. I submit my meter readings every month & on time as they require it to be the last day of the billing cycle to avoid estimated bills.
    Are they going to be refunding people who are in credit?
    • poggs
    • By poggs 15th Nov 18, 6:19 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    poggs
    I plan to stay with then as they are still by far the cheapest for my whack tariff.

However I going to take advantage of the new rules that state I can request a refund of credit on demand and do so every month.

So if they go bust, I've not got £300 stuck in the administrators account!
    • Fleurs
    • By Fleurs 15th Nov 18, 6:21 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Fleurs
    I changed to OtM a couple of months ago as did my mother and her friend (both in their 80's). I'm disgusted with this and have replied to their email saying "Please note I would strongly object to this and they certainly donít give me or anybody peace of mind - please donít treat your customers like idiots. This isnít what I signed up to. Evenly spread payments should mean ANNUAL as I get paid the same amount each month - not more in winter and less in summer. Funny how you are introducing it as winter approaches and not summer? Does this imply you have cash flow problems?

This really disappoints me about OtM. I have 4 accounts I have switched to OtM and I will seriously consider changing if you implement this.

Thank you,"

I wonder if Ofgem would take issue with this behaviour? Has/is anyone else going to complain/made a complaint?
    • hareng
    • By hareng 15th Nov 18, 6:26 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    hareng
    Same here Orangesnaps i object to paying more over the winter where money is most needed, i would rather opt for an average.

Looking back have had two direct debits with the price hike i agreed to. Still £50+ p/m cheaper than all other providers based on actual usage.
    • Myfirsthome
    • By Myfirsthome 15th Nov 18, 6:38 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Myfirsthome
    Last week I had an email from outfox the market advising of a price increases. My new estimated cost for the year was £402 (I'm a low user. I live on my own and only really sleep in my house as I'm out all day and most evenings). This is based on my usage for the past year. I currently pay £38.66 per month via direct debit.

Today I've had another email from them advising that they are changing their direct debit policy to cover higher winter usage and lower usage in the summer. My new direct debits will be a whopping £67.88 october-March. This is a 75% increase!! And down to £29 from April-September. They've also re-estimated my annual costs at over £570 which is a 43% increase from two days ago!
    • clivewilliamson
    • By clivewilliamson 15th Nov 18, 6:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    clivewilliamson
    Shocking
    I've sent an email off to OTM complaining about the policy and the timing, no reply as yet. I have inquired about charges for cancelling and moving stating that I think they've broken my contract.

Having a look on the ombudsman website you have to let your complaint either go for 8 weeks with the supplier or have reached a deadlock as confirmed by correspondence from them.
    • Butch_Dingle
    • By Butch_Dingle 15th Nov 18, 6:49 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Butch_Dingle
    Switched this morning, can I stop them taking a direct debit of £109?
    Originally posted by sam.4000
    Yes you can - cancel your direct debit through your bank but cancel at least 3-4 working days before it is due. Like you, I've also signed up to move my energy away from OFTM (did this a few days ago) and today received the shocking news that my regular £67 monthly direct debit is going up to £115 per month As a result, I've cancelled the DD and will just pay them by credit/debit card once my new supplier gives them the transfer readings in a few weeks. They definitely accept payment over the phone as I've paid via credit card previously. Bye bye and good riddance OFTM
    • martyp
    • By martyp 15th Nov 18, 6:53 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    martyp
    3. Now this is the interesting one she let slip, their costs have gone up and they need to increase OUR DD's to make sure they cover THEIR costs over the winter period!
    Originally posted by orangesnaps

That was my suspicion, maybe they've planned out the price increases over the coming months and are charging in advance?

We might have an increase every month or near enough for months to come...
    • toshi
    • By toshi 15th Nov 18, 7:09 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    toshi
    I also feel that they would have some cash flow problems, suddenly they attempt to get cash in advance (before high usage Winter time) .. Our energy consumption is fairly low, but they intend to collect 15% more usage than actual use.

They also now offer "PAY 6 MONTHS IN ADVANCE AND FIX YOUR TARIFF plan...." Well same variable tariff with 6 month advance payment.. (They really try to get cash in advance here again)

The price-wise, OFTM offers still one of the cheapest tariffs to us, it is OK to me to have winter higher DD, but (as an ex-Iresa customer lol) I rather am concerned about their desperation to get cash in advance.. as we have seen before..
    Last edited by toshi; 15-11-2018 at 7:49 PM. Reason: minor correction
    • Deeonehere
    • By Deeonehere 15th Nov 18, 7:11 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Deeonehere
    I currently pay £148 a month, my account is £436 in credit. Had an email this morning telling me my DD was going up to £207, had one this afternoon telling me that it is now going up to £362!! That is almost 150% increase. Have increased my annual cost from £1778 to £3107. This is an absolute joke. Will be calling them, and cancelling my DD.
    • orangesnaps
    • By orangesnaps 15th Nov 18, 7:37 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    orangesnaps
    I also feel that they would have some cash flow problems, suddenly they attempt to get a cash in advance (before high usage Winter time) .. Our energy consumption is fairly low, but they intend to collect 15% more usage than actual use.

They also now offer "PAY 6 MONTHS IN ADVANCE AND FIX YOUR TARIFF plan...." Well same variable tariff with 6 month advance payment.. (They really try to get cash in advance here again)

The price-wise, OTM offers still one of the cheapest tariffs to us, it is OK to me to have winter higher DD, but (as an ex-Iresa customer lol) I rather am concerned about their desperation to get cash in advance.. as we have seen before..
    Originally posted by toshi
    I suspect that they have cash problems. I know the unit rates that we are currently on are low but I think the risks outweigh that. I won't be surprised if they go bust soon. I am going to request to get a refund as we are nearly £400 in credit. Funnily enough (or not) they say the one of the reasons that they've change the direct debit is to avoid people having too much credit in the first place but this is what's happening to my account.
    I am going to switch to a different provider & they better not charge the exit fees.
    • you_llneverwalkalone
    • By you_llneverwalkalone 15th Nov 18, 7:42 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    you_llneverwalkalone
    We currently pay £38pm and our direct debit is increasing to £53 then down to £23 in April.

We,ve always been low users & our estimated yearly usage is £454. Based on 2168 units for Electric & 3960kw for Gas.

Luckily it seems we have not been hit with a major hike in payments unlike most in this thread.
    • IrishWasherWoman
    • By IrishWasherWoman 15th Nov 18, 7:52 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    IrishWasherWoman
    OFTM: Likewise, likewise, likewise - thank goodness I'm not the only one reeling in shock and anger!
    Will take others' tips of contacting the ombudsman, ofgem etc.
    Could switch away, but I've checked and OFTM is way cheaper!
    Does anyone know what would happen if I cancel my DD and instead, set up a Standing Order at the bank for the amount I'm currently paying?
    Has anyone else tried this yet? Any response to it from OFTM?
    • hareng
    • By hareng 15th Nov 18, 7:55 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    hareng
    Should i stay or should i go.

Trouble is next best on here and several others is an extra 36% increase just shy on £1k pa based on 2017 usage of Gas 7315kw and Elec 4005 and do work from home.

Been with OFTM about 8 months variable tariff, up to now no complaints.
    • IrishWasherWoman
    • By IrishWasherWoman 15th Nov 18, 8:00 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    IrishWasherWoman
    Martin, work your magic on oftm!
    Does Martin Lewis actually read the forum threads? Surely he can't be ignorant of this high-handed move by Outfoxthemarket.
    I'd love him to lean on them and the powers that be to get this made fair again.
    • Wheres My Cashback
    • By Wheres My Cashback 15th Nov 18, 8:12 PM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 38,143 Thanks
    Wheres My Cashback
    Does Martin Lewis actually read the forum threads? Surely he can't be ignorant of this high-handed move by Outfoxthemarket.
    I'd love him to lean on them and the powers that be to get this made fair again.
    Originally posted by IrishWasherWoman
    No he doesn't. The only way to ensure he gets to see this is by using Twitter.
    • Marchofthemallards
    • By Marchofthemallards 15th Nov 18, 8:21 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Marchofthemallards
    I'd love to be able to afford to move away on principle, but looking at the cheap energy club results, these guys are the cheapest by far.

Even the cheapest on CEC are charging almost as much per month as OFTM will be in the 'expensive' winter months. I'm staying put until there's a better deal.
    • bobothebear
    • By bobothebear 15th Nov 18, 8:23 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    bobothebear
    I was one of the early adopters like January time.

Mine is gonna increase from £65 to £112 over winter.

Screw that I've just done a switch to Peoples Energy tonight for £73 a month.
    The whole point of a DD is to follow a graph that if your amount is correct and usage stays much the same 12 months down the line you are net £0. This is essentially paying what you are using at that point in time because they probably are struggling.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 15th Nov 18, 8:26 PM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    hubb
    Well I earn cashback on my Santander account for DD so if they overcharge me it will earn me something until they pay it back.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,758Posts Today

6,100Users online

Martin's Twitter