Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • orangesnaps
    • By orangesnaps 15th Nov 18, 4:40 PM
    • 57Posts
    • 25Thanks
    orangesnaps
    Outfox The Market Direct Debit changes
    • 15th Nov 18, 4:40 PM
    Outfox The Market Direct Debit changes 15th Nov 18 at 4:40 PM
    We switched from Eon to OTM on late May of this year. Our monthly debit is £100.21, we are currently £370+ in credit. Our monthly bill is £50-70 & that's with the meter reading (no estimates). I've just got an email that they are hiking our DD to £140.29 without any way to decline it. I don't agree with it. Once the bill for this month comes which will be about the same usage from last month, we will be in credit for £400+. How much more do they want?

We can't switch without avoiding the exit fee as we are in a fixed tariff with them.
    From our experience with Eon, they gave the customer the option to lower the direct debit to a certain point.
    Last edited by orangesnaps; 15-11-2018 at 5:19 PM.
Page 1
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 15th Nov 18, 4:55 PM
    • 5,424 Posts
    • 20,878 Thanks
    Merlin139
    • 15th Nov 18, 4:55 PM
    • 15th Nov 18, 4:55 PM
    We can't switch without avoiding the exit fee as we are in a fixed tariff with them.
    From our experience with Eon, they gave customer the option to lower the direct debit to a certain point.
    Originally posted by orangesnaps
    Copy of a web chat from this morning:

Me 9:58 AM
    Personally I am not interested why your company has brought this in.
    I did not sign up to this policy and do not want it forced on me.
    If it is going to be forced on me then as your company is changing the T&C's that I signed up to I wish to leave OFTM at no penalty to myself

Fiona 10:00 AM
    We are not forcing you sir. As this policy will be implemented, you are not forced in switching away from us, without an exit fee

Me 10:01 AM
    So I can leave without exit fees?

Fiona 10:03 AM
    Yes you can

Me 10:04 AM
    Off to another company I will go and thanks for all the fish!

This came from the Email showing the transcript of the Webchat so its in black and white as far as I am concerned.
    3.975 kWp PV SolarEdge System South Facing 10% Shading Installed 21 May 2014 Located in Mid East Yorkshire.
    • AnneAMD
    • By AnneAMD 15th Nov 18, 4:59 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    AnneAMD
    • 15th Nov 18, 4:59 PM
    • 15th Nov 18, 4:59 PM
    I have found myself in the exact same predicament.We currently pay £140 per month and are £123 in credit and they want to increase our DD by £106 per month to £246. In spite of their recent price hike, is unlikely we will go into a negative position with them as our energy usage (whilst high) is pretty stable. I have just had a very heated online chat with them and they are referring me to their credit department. From a family budgeting point of view I would prefer to pay the same amount per month through the year.
    Money Saving Experts, Any advice on how we stand on this would be much appreciated.
    • nswan
    • By nswan 15th Nov 18, 5:00 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nswan
    • 15th Nov 18, 5:00 PM
    Had an email almost doubling my direct debit from October 2019to March. Not impressed at all. I have not had any “bill shock” ��
    Last edited by nswan; 15-11-2018 at 5:02 PM.
    • Madmummyof6
    • By Madmummyof6 15th Nov 18, 5:00 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Madmummyof6
    I signed up a couple of months ago. Used my actual yearly usage from my yearly British Gas statement and then added a bit to cover myself. SIgned up at £155 a month. Total for the year £1860. Great. Now they want £271.29 a month from October to March and £116.27 a month April to September, totalling £2325.30!! British Gas was cheaper and that's saying something!
    • orangesnaps
    • By orangesnaps 15th Nov 18, 5:01 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    orangesnaps
    • 15th Nov 18, 5:01 PM
    • 15th Nov 18, 5:01 PM
    Thank you for that. I tried to access their web chat but they have switched it off. I will try them again tomorrow. In the meantime, I will look for other providers.
    • Katebero1
    • By Katebero1 15th Nov 18, 5:07 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Katebero1
    • 15th Nov 18, 5:07 PM
    • 15th Nov 18, 5:07 PM
    Hi, just got an email from Eco 7 energy to say that my DD will be £94 in the summer and £220 from October to March, are they having a laugh. I thought the point of DD was to allow people to budget, otherwise go back to quarterly billing? This can't be right? If I don't get a satisfactory response then I will be leaving regardless as I don't get paid more in the winter than the summer!
    • Nanodave
    • By Nanodave 15th Nov 18, 5:13 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Nanodave
    • 15th Nov 18, 5:13 PM
    • 15th Nov 18, 5:13 PM
    I wonder if there is something fishy going on here. My supply only began this week. The original direct debit was a flat rate of £75.71 which x 12 = £908.52. They have changed to a higher rate for the 6 winter months, followed by lower charges in the summer months but their calculation gives a 12 month total charge of £1135.65 which is completely out of line with MSE's current estimates for them. I tried phoning but they are engaged and their web chat is turned off.
    • Tiff0807
    • By Tiff0807 15th Nov 18, 5:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Tiff0807
    • 15th Nov 18, 5:20 PM
    • 15th Nov 18, 5:20 PM
    I switched to outfox the market last month - wish I hadn’t now! Was originally paying £125 and they’ve increased it to £211pm. Have just looked at my first bill and noticed they have charged £18.25 membership fee when I was told it would be £13.99. I don’t recall receiving an email with this price hike?
    • orangesnaps
    • By orangesnaps 15th Nov 18, 5:21 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    orangesnaps
    Had an email almost doubling my direct debit from October 2019to March. Not impressed at all. I have not had any “bill shock” ��
    Originally posted by nswan
    well, they are certainly giving us quite the shock with this change.
    • orangesnaps
    • By orangesnaps 15th Nov 18, 5:22 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    orangesnaps
    I switched to outfox the market last month - wish I hadn’t now! Was originally paying £125 and they’ve increased it to £211pm. Have just looked at my first bill and noticed they have charged £18.25 membership fee when I was told it would be £13.99. I don’t recall receiving an email with this price hike?
    Originally posted by Tiff0807
    I think it's in their t&c's where they can change it if they think it won't match your usage. I wish we never went with them. This is so frustrating and annoying, not what people would like to deal with in the run up to Christmas/holidays.
    • AnneAMD
    • By AnneAMD 15th Nov 18, 5:31 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    AnneAMD
    I wonder if they are in financial trouble...
    I had a Membership fee increase a few months ago
    a Rate increase last week
    And now they want a massive hike in our Direct Debits for the winter months.
    This stinks of 'get the customers in' by offering cheap energy and then sneak in extra charges as time goes on. Nobody wants to switch just before Christmas as switching means we are out of pocket for a few weeks because of payment overlaps. I wonder what OFGEM would say ??
    • sam.4000
    • By sam.4000 15th Nov 18, 5:33 PM
    • 1,292 Posts
    • 5,663 Thanks
    sam.4000
    They must be in am absolute mess and I presume are making a last ditch attempt at saving them selves.

I was paying my last company £46 a month and this covered my usage over a 12 month period. This ended in August, outfox set my direct debits at £65 a month and when I contacted them they wanted to leave it a few months the to see my usage before they lowered it.

Email today winter direct debits £109 and summer £ 47.

Switched this morning, can I stop them taking a direct debit of £109?
    • Cetshwayo
    • By Cetshwayo 15th Nov 18, 5:37 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    Cetshwayo
    Ah just came on to ask this question. We are refugees from Iresa/Octopus.

They want to ramp DD from £103 to £181 (Oct-Mar) and £78 (Apr-Sept), just more hassle and my Iresa account isn't sorted nor my Octopus account............arghhhhhhhhhh!
    • martyp
    • By martyp 15th Nov 18, 5:43 PM
    • 788 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    martyp
    Good to see a thread is already going on this as I'm disgruntled as well, albeit a fair amount less impacted than others by the looks of it.
    I switched in September and have so far endured a price rise for each month since but the direct debit think is less than pleasing. I was pleased to be paying just £40 a month for my electricity and gas and with my previous suppliers was also paying under £50 a month for both. Now I'm being advised over £70 a month for the winter then £30 a month for the Summer months. Not great to have a nearly doubled direct debit right before Christmas...
    I argued the case on chat (looks like I'm lucky to have got that according to other reports on here) and got a fantastic response that this Winter is the harshest one for years???!!
    I was curious to know how they knew that as so far it's been mild...
    I also pointed out that paying just under £50 a month with my previous suppliers I ended up with about £150 credit balance when I switched and barely ever went into debit.
    The response was that I could request a refund and that everyone was affected the same, chat as follows (advisor name removed as don't want to incriminate them as they were probably just saying as advised):

Me: Is it possible to opt out of the direct debit arrangement?
    Advisor: All customer's are affected by this change Sir
    Me: I prefer to have a regular fixed monthly payment and the plan is nearly twice what I pay at the moment right before Christmas
    With my old supplier I paid about £50 all year round and ended up with a credit balance
    Advisor: We do understand your concern Sir
    This change is being implemented so that your account does not go into debt during the winter - one of the harshest in recent years
    Me: The estimate is based on me having very high usage over winter but I think this would result in me having a big credit balance.
    How do you know it would be one of the harshest as it's been very mild so far?
    Advisor: Sir with regards to your credit balance, if you are very high in credit we can request a refund
    This would be better than being in debt
    Me: I stayed in credit with both my previous suppliers paying about £50 a month all year round. £70+ a month is way more than the £40 a month I'm paying now and right before Christmas is when I need the money the most so December isn't a good time for me
    How much would I need to be in credit for to get a refund as I may ask when I'm £100 in credit
    Advisor: I do understand this
    Me: I had about £150 credit balance when I switched over
    Advisor: Sir whenever you do think you're too high in credit simply contact us and we will request a refund
    Me: How long does a refund take though?
    Advisor: Once approved, up to 10 working days
    Me: How would it be approved?
    Can that be done just through chat?
    Advisor: To clarify
    If you are ever high enough in credit where you think it warrants a refund, simply contact us via phone. webchat or email
    If our refunds department approve your request
    Within 10 working days a refund is issued and visible in your account
    Last edited by martyp; 15-11-2018 at 6:50 PM.
    • sam.4000
    • By sam.4000 15th Nov 18, 5:47 PM
    • 1,292 Posts
    • 5,663 Thanks
    sam.4000
    Good to see a thread is already going on this as I'm disgruntled as well, albeit a fair amount less impacted than others by the looks of it.
    I switched in September and have so far endured a price rise for each month since but the direct debit think is less than pleasing. I was pleased to be paying just £40 a month for my electricity and gas and with my previous suppliers was also paying under £50 a month for both. Now I'm being advised over £70 a month for the winter then £30 a month for the Summer months. Not great to have a nearly doubled direct debit right before Christmas...
    I argued the case on chat (looks like I'm lucky to have got that according to other reports on here) and got a fantastic response that this Winter is the harshest one for years???!!
    I was curious to know how they knew that as so far it's been mild...
    I also pointed out that paying just under £50 a month with my previous suppliers I ended up with about £150 credit balance when I switched and barely ever went into debit.
    The response was that I could request a refund and that everyone was affected the same, chat as follows (advisor name removed as don't want to incriminate them as they were probably just saying as advised):

Me: Is it possible to opt out of the direct debit arrangement?
    Advisor: All customer's are affected by this change Sir
    Me: I prefer to have a regular fixed monthly payment and the plan is nearly twice what I pay at the moment right before Christmas
    With my old supplier I paid about £50 all year round and ended up with a credit balance
    Advisor: We do understand your concern Sir
    This change is being implemented so that your account does not go into debt during the winter - one of the harshest in recent years
    Me: The estimate is based on me having very high usage over winter but I think this would result in me having a big credit balance.
    How do you know it would be one of the harshest as it's been very mild so far?
    Advisor: Sir with regards to your credit balance, if you are very high in credit we can request a refund
    This would be better than being in debt
    Me: I stayed in credit with both my previous suppliers paying about £50 a month all year round. £70+ a month is way more than the £40 a month I'm paying now and right before Christmas is when I need the money the most so December isn't a good time for me
    How much would I need to be in credit for to get a refund as I may ask when I'm £100 in credit
    Advisor: I do understand this
    Me: I had about £150 credit balance when I switched over
    Advisor: Sir whenever you do think you're too high in credit simply contact us and we will request a refund
    Me: How long does a refund take though?
    Advisor: Once approved, up to 10 working days
    Me: How would it be approved?
    Can that be done just through chat?
    Advisor: To clarify
    If you are ever high enough in credit where you think it warrants a refund, simply contact us via phone. webchat or email
    If our refunds department approve your request
    Within 10 working days a refund is issued and visible in your account
    Originally posted by martyp
    How do they know it is going to be a harsh winter. It's been a mild Spring?
    • orangesnaps
    • By orangesnaps 15th Nov 18, 5:57 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    orangesnaps
    This is what I got from the comments on facebook.

" So just got through to them on the phone and this is what they said. 1. They have a new system that has estimated our usage over the winter
    2. They can review the DD's after 14 days, yet the DD will take effect from 10 days
    3. Now this is the interesting one she let slip, their costs have gone up and they need to increase OUR DD's to make sure they cover THEIR costs over the winter period!

I will be taking my account elsewhere I am not paying more money to prop up a business that is in trouble!"
    • lwsceltic
    • By lwsceltic 15th Nov 18, 6:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lwsceltic
    Just had "the" email and subsequently started the switch process to another supplier 10 mins later! Bye, bye OFTM.
    • hareng
    • By hareng 15th Nov 18, 6:04 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    hareng
    Its all from a generic email theres no increase when you work it out.

I am in credit but email says direct debit is not covering, it is.
    I would rather pay an average and build up in summer carrying it forward and over the winter, balances out same without paying extra where you most require that dosh. Quite the opposite to OFCOM recommendations.

As you can see from this theres no increase 12 x £59.60 p/m present = 6 x £83.44 + 6 x £35.76 both total £715.20

Estimated
    Annual
    Cost

Current

Direct Debit

October to
    March

Monthly Direct Debit
    April to
    September

Monthly Direct Debit

£715.20
    £59.60
    £83.44
    £35.76

Last edited by hareng; 15-11-2018 at 6:21 PM.
    • hareng
    • By hareng 15th Nov 18, 6:08 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    hareng
    3. Now this is the interesting one she let slip, their costs have gone up and they need to increase OUR DD's to make sure they cover THEIR costs over the winter period!
    Originally posted by orangesnaps

That was two months ago maybe more, they would have sent an email asking you whether you accept the price hike think around £3.5 p/m for us. Was around £56, now £59.6 p/m
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

298Posts Today

1,812Users online

Martin's Twitter