Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 2nd Jan 18, 10:53 AM
    • 1,217Posts
    • 694Thanks
    poppellerant
    Feedback on Utility Point
    • 2nd Jan 18, 10:53 AM
    Feedback on Utility Point 2nd Jan 18 at 10:53 AM
    Having compared my tariff online, this company seems to be the same price as my existing Flex4 tariff with Iresa. But even Googling Utility Point's name didn't instantly find their website. I can't seem to find much, if any, feedback on this company so they must be relatively new. I only found them with Energy Helpline's comparison site.

If anybody has any comments or feedback to make on this company, I'd really like to hear them. Even if you're in the middle of switching, it'd be good to see how they treat potential customers. I did try to call them today, but it seems they are closed.

This is their website: https://www.utilitypoint.co.uk/
Page 3
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 25th May 18, 9:02 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    wavelets
    Malc - has the Govt now exempted consumers from opting out of smart meter communications under the new GDPR? If so, it makes a mockery of GDPR and consumers!!!8217; rights.

Right 8 is relevant:

Right to object !!!8211; You have the right to object and prevent your data being used for particular purposes, eg. for direct marketing. This right is superseded by legal claims.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    It's not really 'Direct Marketing' though is it?
    (although GDPR does not actually define what 'Direct Marketing' is either )

But you are already a customer of the supplier, and a new meter is not charged for, nor will it affect the energy you are purchasing through it or the tariff you are paying for it.

The supplier is not making any money out of supplying these meters - quite the contrary in fact.

A smart meter is the next generation of a gas and electricity meter. They're being installed by energy suppliers in every home in England, Scotland, and Wales. Smart meters come with an in-home display screen that shows you exactly how much energy you're using in pounds and pence, in near real time and will bring an end to estimated bills.

Smart meters measure how much gas and electricity you're using, as well as what it;s costing you, and display this in on a handy in-home display.
    With a smart meter, you can wave goodbye to complicated meter readings. The smart meter shows a digital meter reading and automatically sends the reading to your energy supplier at least once a month, so you will receive accurate, not estimated, bills.

The Government has directed that everyone will be offered the opportunity to upgrade to a smart meter by their energy supplier.
    Smart meters will be provided and fitted by your energy supplier, along with a handheld in-home display, at no extra cost.

So this probably all means that the supplier has compelling other reasons to keep the customer informed.

On the same basis, are you suggesting suppliers should no longer provide customers with details of their lowest cost tariff for them as they currently are mandated to do?
    (unless they have specifically opted in to receive such informative and cost saving information)

GDPR is a shambles that simply costs everyone money, as is everything else that comes out of Brussells/Strasbourg.

Roll on Brexit
    Last edited by wavelets; 25-05-2018 at 9:06 PM.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 25th May 18, 9:31 PM
    • 6,828 Posts
    • 4,385 Thanks
    Hengus

GDPR is a shambles that simply costs everyone money, as is everything else that comes out of Brussells/Strasbourg.

Roll on Brexit
    Originally posted by wavelets
    As GDPR is now fully enshrined in UK Law - for good or bad - it is here to stay after Brexit. I believe that GDPR opt out should apply to smart meter communications. Saying ‘no’ should mean ‘no’ - but that is just my view.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    E.ON and GDPR
    Malc - has the Govt now exempted consumers from opting out of smart meter communications under the new GDPR? If so, it makes a mockery of GDPR and consumers!!!8217; rights.

Right 8 is relevant:

Right to object !!!8211; You have the right to object and prevent your data being used for particular purposes, eg. for direct marketing. This right is superseded by legal claims.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Hello Hengus.

From time to time, we need to keep in touch with our customers so we can let them know about changes to our products and services particularly where they're likely to affect their accounts. We won't, though, send marketing materials where customers have told us not to. Neither will we share personal data with other organisations, including those in the E.ON group, for marketing purposes unless we've prior permission to do this.

As wavelets says, smart meters are the next generation of electricity and gas meter. We're not selling them but we've a regulatory duty to offer them to all our customers by 2020. As you know, the roll-out has changed considerably since it started and is evolving all the time. We need to make customers aware of these changes so they're in a better position to judge what's best for them going forward. This includes being able to opt out of the scheme. We don't consider this type of communication to be marketing but a service requirement similar to things like meter reading requests, letting them know about changes to prices, terms and conditions or anything stopping them changing supplier.

Hope this explains.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 8th Jun 18, 12:53 PM
    • 7,783 Posts
    • 3,815 Thanks
    Stompa
    Oh well, I've taken the plunge. It's now a couple of hours after I hit the 'Submit' button, and still no confirmation email from them. I hope that's not a bad sign!
    Stompa
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 8th Jun 18, 1:13 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 694 Thanks
    poppellerant
    Oh well, I've taken the plunge. It's now a couple of hours after I hit the 'Submit' button, and still no confirmation email from them. I hope that's not a bad sign!
    Originally posted by Stompa
    Don't worry about it, you will get an email in a few days time.

I shall say one thing I am not liking about Utility Point - their phone lines don't seem to have a queuing system. You listen to some music for around 60 seconds, only to be told to try later and you are then disconnected. I'd rather spend a little time in the queue to have my query dealt with, instead of redialling to get through to somebody.

Credit where credit is due, though - they are pretty good in replying to your queries. I recently received a reply to my email on a Sunday morning.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 8th Jun 18, 2:50 PM
    • 7,783 Posts
    • 3,815 Thanks
    Stompa
    Don't worry about it, you will get an email in a few days time.
    Originally posted by poppellerant
    Not to worry, it's now arrived.

I shall say one thing I am not liking about Utility Point - their phone lines don't seem to have a queuing system. You listen to some music for around 60 seconds, only to be told to try later and you are then disconnected. I'd rather spend a little time in the queue to have my query dealt with, instead of redialling to get through to somebody.
    Originally posted by poppellerant
    Yes, I did a test call prior to switching, and got through to a person in about a minute. I subsequently did a couple more and got that message both times. I agree, I'd much rather be able to get through even if that means a longer wait.
    Stompa
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 8th Jun 18, 7:06 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    From my six months experience of UP, I have always found it best to fire off an email. Always a quick response.

Due to me messing up on my bank balance, my May DD was not honoured. I fired off an email asking when they would represent it. They replied with it would be easier if we took it by card payment. Can I email them a time and date that I would be available to take their call.

This I did and bang on the time, they called me and little problem over.
    • spud
    • By spud 16th Jun 18, 8:56 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    spud
    I moved to UP from Affect due to low standing charge which as a low user saved around 15%.
    Initial problem with website where it wouldn’t accept my DD was sorted out fairly quickly over the phone.
    Transfer has just completed without issue and automated emails kept me updated. So far so good.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 29th Jun 18, 9:18 AM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 694 Thanks
    poppellerant
    I'm growing tired of not being able to speak to anybody on the phone and being asked to try again later or leave a message because they are too busy.

I emailed them earlier this week. At the time of emailing, I was unaware that their website was down. So I don't know if they received my email when the website was down. And I can't speak to anybody to ask because they don't seem to have sufficient staff to answer the phone.
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 29th Jun 18, 11:55 AM
    • 218 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    If over 48 hrs, I would guess they do not have it.

Try India on the online chat.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 1st Jul 18, 10:33 AM
    • 7,783 Posts
    • 3,815 Thanks
    Stompa
    Well my switch has now completed, and it all went very smoothly. My only complaint is that, since initiating the switch to a fixed tariff around 3 weeks ago, they've dropped their prices by around 2%.
    Stompa
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 1st Jul 18, 10:40 AM
    • 37,983 Posts
    • 22,089 Thanks
    Quentin
    Note though they now only fix for 12 months - presumably you are fixed for 15!
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 1st Jul 18, 11:42 AM
    • 7,783 Posts
    • 3,815 Thanks
    Stompa
    Note though they now only fix for 12 months - presumably you are fixed for 15!
    Originally posted by Quentin
    True enough.
    Stompa
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 1st Jul 18, 12:36 PM
    • 1,630 Posts
    • 1,269 Thanks
    bxboards
    Well my switch has now completed, and it all went very smoothly. My only complaint is that, since initiating the switch to a fixed tariff around 3 weeks ago, they've dropped their prices by around 2%.
    Originally posted by Stompa
    That happened to me but when I joined early on it was the Just UP 18 month fix, I reckon it's better to get the longer lock-in.

I've had no problems with them at all, I moved to them very early before they were on comparison sites as they were cheapest by miles for me.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 2nd Jul 18, 5:24 PM
    • 7,783 Posts
    • 3,815 Thanks
    Stompa
    Hmmm, yesterday (which was supposed to be my switch date) UP sent me an email saying "Today marks the beginning of us supplying you with energy", which I assumed meant the switch was complete. However, after speaking to my previous supplier, it appears that whilst gas did switch on Jul 1, electricity would not be doing so until Jul 11.

Now I don't have a huge problem with this, but I'm inclined to think that UP really should have made this clear in their email.
    Stompa
    • cherrysftw
    • By cherrysftw 10th Jul 18, 1:26 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cherrysftw
    Hey folks, I'm looking to switch to UP, these are what I'm getting:

Electricity: 12.7806p per kWh / 11.02p per day

Gas: 3.1941p per kWh / 11.02p per day

I've been searching for days now, and I think this is the best I've got. Does this seem half decent for a west london 3 bedroom? I know they vary by area/property type.

Thanks.
    Last edited by cherrysftw; 10-07-2018 at 1:46 PM.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 10th Jul 18, 4:19 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 694 Thanks
    poppellerant
    Hey folks, I'm looking to switch to UP, these are what I'm getting:

Electricity: 12.7806p per kWh / 11.02p per day

Gas: 3.1941p per kWh / 11.02p per day

I've been searching for days now, and I think this is the best I've got. Does this seem half decent for a west london 3 bedroom? I know they vary by area/property type.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by cherrysftw
    Do you know your annual usage? Or have any meter readings which are roughly a year apart?
    • cherrysftw
    • By cherrysftw 10th Jul 18, 9:38 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cherrysftw
    I dont have accurate readings unfortunately since my parents weren't giving readings at all (shocking). I would imagine its somewhere near the average of 3000 kwh electricity and a bit higher on gas at about 18-19K kwh.

I thought the unit/standing rates were pretty good for a fixed tariff, dont you think? Quite cheaper than anything on the comparison.
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 11th Jul 18, 8:51 AM
    • 1,708 Posts
    • 1,229 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    I moved to UP in May and the switch from EON has gone really well. EON refunded my credit balance within 5 weeks and I have just received my first request from UP for a meter reading. They weren't the cheapest but the only ones cheaper have been slated for CS.
    3.975 KW Solar PV. 15 Canadian Black 265w panels with Sunny Boy 3600tl Inverter. SSE facing with 30 degree pitch. In occasionally sunny Sheffield.
    Toyota Auris Hybrid Tourer
    Toyota Yaris Hybrid
    • groovygraham
    • By groovygraham 11th Jul 18, 11:49 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    groovygraham
    Hi,
    Just signed up to UP today as my gas deal with SSE had gone from £269 a year to £404! Quoted off UP £279 so happy with that being a VERY careful user on a low income.
    I did read of others not being able to complete at the DD and Sign Up stage. I had the same issue until I turned off my Ad Blocker then all went through fine
    I used the referral code from another page on the forum. Hopefully benefit from that
    Last edited by groovygraham; 11-07-2018 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,037Posts Today

7,774Users online

Martin's Twitter