Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 2nd Jan 18, 10:53 AM
    • 1,221Posts
    • 696Thanks
    poppellerant
    Feedback on Utility Point
    • 2nd Jan 18, 10:53 AM
    Feedback on Utility Point 2nd Jan 18 at 10:53 AM
    Having compared my tariff online, this company seems to be the same price as my existing Flex4 tariff with Iresa. But even Googling Utility Point's name didn't instantly find their website. I can't seem to find much, if any, feedback on this company so they must be relatively new. I only found them with Energy Helpline's comparison site.

If anybody has any comments or feedback to make on this company, I'd really like to hear them. Even if you're in the middle of switching, it'd be good to see how they treat potential customers. I did try to call them today, but it seems they are closed.

This is their website: https://www.utilitypoint.co.uk/
Page 2
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 24th Jan 18, 5:07 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    footyguy
    I have decided to take the plunge and started the switch from Iresa to Utility Point. Wish me luck!

Seriously though. My account is in good standing with Iresa, showing credit on both my gas and electricity accounts. Should I cancel my direct debit for the beginning of next month, or allow it to come out as normal? My first direct debit with Utility Point is due in the middle of February, with the view to changing this date after the first direct debit.
    Originally posted by poppellerant
    You will still be supplied by Iresa beginning of next month, so you should allow your direct debit mandate to remain in place.

All credits will be accounted for in the final bill.
    In fact, depending on exact timing, if you cancel you may get a final bill that has a credit on that is not honoured by your bank, leading to more issues...

The supplier may mark the final collection as such, and that will inform the bank to cancel the DD mandate anyway ... so you don't have to.
    • SpotlandRules
    • By SpotlandRules 24th Jan 18, 7:00 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    SpotlandRules
    I go live tomorrow. A couple of little niggles, but nothing that an email did not sort out - responded to within an hour.

I could not log into my account and there was no change password option. Within an hour, problem was rectified.

The account page is not too bad Options to enter your meter readings, View usage, view statements, Refer a friend and Efficiency at home.
    Last edited by SpotlandRules; 24-01-2018 at 7:11 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 28th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    poppellerant
    I can't edit my post, so this is the full email with personal details removed:
    Hi XX,

This is to inform you that we received a request to switch your ELECTRICITY supply from Iresa to a new supplier. Please let us know within the next 5 days if you want to withdraw the transfer otherwise we will accept and proceed with the next steps of switching you over to your new supplier.

This information is for ELECTRICITY supply:
    Address: XX
    Supply Number: XX
    Serial Number: XX

Next Steps

Contact us within 5 days of receiving this email if you do not wish to initiate the transfer. If you are happy to transfer to a new supplier, we will wait for the new supplier to send your final reading to us. After we receive the readings, we will proceed with account closure. If there is any CREDIT left in your account after the final charge, this will be refunded to you. Any outstanding payment will also be requested as part of the account closure process.

Thanks. Please contact us on 01157270982 for any concerns or questions.
    I find the part that I have highlighted in red most interesting, as several people have commented on Iresa blocking the switch if the account is in debit.
    • editor1
    • By editor1 3rd Mar 18, 2:55 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    editor1
    Good thread on Utility Point. I too did a Companies House limited search and was struck by the fact that the business has had a change of two Directors - God knows what money they sunk in. As such, keeping a close eye on EUGIE Energy, which of course is backed by a large French business and Outfox the Market, which seems to have grand ambitions.

Sad fact is, OVO Energy started out small, as did First Utility, now both companies in some instances are more expensive than the Big Six, which is a shame as really liked OVO, hence was with them for 4 years.
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 14th Mar 18, 8:25 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    My first statement, they promised me I would receive around 3 March. This would cover 25 Jan - 24 Feb. I emailed them yesterday to give them a nudge, as it was nowhere to be seen.

Their reply

Thank you for your email, we are currently working on the statements and we hope to have this available soon. I am sorry for the delay.
    Not looking good at the moment.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 14th Mar 18, 8:50 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    poppellerant
    My first statement, they promised me I would receive around 3 March. This would cover 25 Jan - 24 Feb. I emailed them yesterday to give them a nudge, as it was nowhere to be seen.

Their reply

Not looking good at the moment.
    Originally posted by PennineAcute
    Oh dear, I am yet to receive a statement but it should be due any day now.
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 22nd Mar 18, 10:58 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    Well, my first statement has arrived and I am extremely happy. 5.30 saving, from what I would have paid with EON.

• poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 23rd Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    poppellerant
    I also received my first statement last night. Their bills make a much nicer change than the ones I receive from Iresa. I was beginning to forget what a bill with actual and accurate readings looks like.
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 27th Mar 18, 5:15 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    The start of my 50 day leaving period has started with Zog. There was not much in it, between Zog and Utility Point and have moved my gas over to Utility Point.
    • Z0rba-cheeks
    • By Z0rba-cheeks 6th Apr 18, 11:55 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Z0rba-cheeks
    Dear UP Customers there is an interesting debate on the MSE Powershop Feedback Forum as the latest offer from UP is undercutting the Powershop Price, if your annual electricity consumption is under 4324 kWh.

if your annual consumption is greater than 4324 kWh then Powershop is cheaper, however the saving is 41.21 if your consumption is 12,000 kWh (minus the UP 30 penalty, is a saving of a mere 11.21).

Powershop has no exit fee and a 12 month contract, however, you need to purchase all your power in advance via "Powerpacks" and some of these are only available for a limited period as low as 4 days in any month.

Just in case you are interested!

See: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74125702&posted=1#post74125702
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 23rd Apr 18, 3:26 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    Okay, moved my gas over to Utility Point and I went live on Friday, 20 April. First payment of 21.70 was also due on this day.

Wednesday, 18 April, checking my online banking, I noticed that there was no direct debit mandate, so I sent them an email asking if this had been set up. I had no reply from them by Friday, and checking my online banking, no direct debit had gone out.

Rang them on Friday, and they said that if it has not gone out by Monday (today) to let them know. So I have fired off another email and we will see what they say. Just want to get this sorted, before it escalates.
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 23rd Apr 18, 3:33 PM
    • 1,630 Posts
    • 1,270 Thanks
    bxboards
    I moved my electric to Utility Point and have had my gas with Zog for a while.

I find by using different suppliers, I have always been able to beat any 'collective' switch deals, and usually I find 1 out 2 of of either gas or electricity is noncompetitive with collectives - never got a good deal from the MSE cheap energy club either!

No isues with Utility Point so far, I opened mine early Feb this year and 'Just Up 18 Wk04 Direct' was cheaper than anyone else I could find - UP only turned up on 1 comparison site, I guess they do not pay enough backhanders... I think 2nd cheapest was Outfox the Market.
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 23rd Apr 18, 3:45 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    Yeah, I moved my electricity over to them in January and have had no issues. Luckily I have caught this DD issue before it can get out of hand. I am hoping that my past experience with them will show they will deal with this promptly.
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 25th Apr 18, 5:59 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    Problem solved. They admitted that they had not set up the DD. So my new DD date, for gas, is 5th May.

Anyone can mess up, it is how they rectify, which matters. Very pleased with the outcome.
    • xsor
    • By xsor 20th May 18, 3:53 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    xsor
    Has anyone else used Utility Point? Seems like they have a more competitive rate now
    • lenar
    • By lenar 21st May 18, 10:21 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lenar
    Using MoneySaving Expert cheap Energy Club to compare, these came out as cheapest to replace my Scottish Power fix which was coming to an end. Was a bit reluctant to go with an "unknown" but took the plunge and have been pleasantly surprised. The switch itself was fast and problem free, direct debit set up and service switched within 3 weeks, and it all went extremely smoothly....just how I like it.
    That's all I can say really, have had no issues, so no reason to contact them so cannot comment on what their response to issues is like.
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 25th May 18, 10:09 AM
    • 1,708 Posts
    • 1,229 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    Just about to take the plunge with Utility Point for Electricity only and stay with Zog for my gas. Zog have been excellent and I've been with them for 2 or 3 years now (providing monthly readings keeps my DD stable and I think they have only changed it once which was this last winter when both me and my wife have been in all the time due to illness and coupled with a bad winter our usage has increased).
    I am hoping UP are going to be as good.
    I am leaving Eon not only due to the fact they are more expensive but despite opting out of smart meter reminders I do keep getting bombarded with them!
    3.975 KW Solar PV. 15 Canadian Black 265w panels with Sunny Boy 3600tl Inverter. SSE facing with 30 degree pitch. In occasionally sunny Sheffield.
    Toyota Auris Hybrid Tourer
    Toyota Yaris Hybrid
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 25th May 18, 11:24 AM
    • 6,846 Posts
    • 4,403 Thanks
    Hengus
    I am leaving Eon not only due to the fact they are more expensive but despite opting out of smart meter reminders I do keep getting bombarded with them!
    Originally posted by hollie.weimeraner
    It will interesting to see whether opting out of smart meter communications has any meaning under GDPR.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    E.ON Smart Meters
    Just about to take the plunge with Utility Point for Electricity only and stay with Zog for my gas. Zog have been excellent and I've been with them for 2 or 3 years now (providing monthly readings keeps my DD stable and I think they have only changed it once which was this last winter when both me and my wife have been in all the time due to illness and coupled with a bad winter our usage has increased).
    I am hoping UP are going to be as good.
    Originally posted by hollie.weimeraner
    Hello hollie.weimeraner and don't worry. Contact from us about smart meters will stop once the switch has gone through. The new supplier will take over responsibility for your meters including anything to do with the smart meter roll-out.

Previously, as you did, it was possible to opt out of smart meter communications. Now, though, customers can no longer permanently opt out of this type of contact as we're obligated to keep checking with them. This is particularly the case with significant developments like the roll-out of SMETS2 meters. As these meters are considerably different from SMETS1, we need to make customers aware of the change and what it means.

As smart meters are optional, customers can reject them at any time. We are, though, committed to offering them to all our residential customers by 2020 and are using several different methods to let them know about this commitment.

Hope this explains why we continued to contact you about smart meters.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 25th May 18, 6:26 PM
    • 6,846 Posts
    • 4,403 Thanks
    Hengus

Previously, as you did, it was possible to opt out of smart meter communications. Now, though, customers can no longer permanently opt out of this type of contact as we're obligated to keep checking with them. This is particularly the case with significant developments like the roll-out of SMETS2 meters. As these meters are considerably different from SMETS1, we need to make customers aware of the change and what it means.

Malc
    Originally posted by E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    Malc - has the Govt now exempted consumers from opting out of smart meter communications under the new GDPR? If so, it makes a mockery of GDPR and consumers!!!8217; rights.

Right 8 is relevant:

Right to object !!!8211; You have the right to object and prevent your data being used for particular purposes, eg. for direct marketing. This right is superseded by legal claims.
    Last edited by Hengus; 25-05-2018 at 6:33 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

232Posts Today

1,235Users online

Martin's Twitter