Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 2nd Jan 18, 10:53 AM
    • 1,249Posts
    • 706Thanks
    poppellerant
    Feedback on Utility Point
    • 2nd Jan 18, 10:53 AM
    Feedback on Utility Point 2nd Jan 18 at 10:53 AM
    Having compared my tariff online, this company seems to be the same price as my existing Flex4 tariff with Iresa. But even Googling Utility Point's name didn't instantly find their website. I can't seem to find much, if any, feedback on this company so they must be relatively new. I only found them with Energy Helpline's comparison site.

If anybody has any comments or feedback to make on this company, I'd really like to hear them. Even if you're in the middle of switching, it'd be good to see how they treat potential customers. I did try to call them today, but it seems they are closed.

This is their website: https://www.utilitypoint.co.uk/
Page 10
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 7th Dec 18, 11:10 AM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    wavelets
    I'm trying to switch to Utility Point online but after they show the tariffs available, I can't seem to go any further. Any advice?
    Originally posted by esmerelda98
    Are you able to sign up online, Maxwell? I still can’t.
    Originally posted by esmerelda98
    What issue are you having signing up with them online?

Their "Direct" tariffs are only available direct from them.
    (i.e you cannot switch to them via a comparison site, although the comparison site may show them, but ask you to go direct to the supplier's website)

Get an online quote from their website, and at the bottom of your quote, there is a 'Switch Now' button
    Last edited by wavelets; 07-12-2018 at 11:14 AM.
    • esmerelda98
    • By esmerelda98 7th Dec 18, 12:02 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 930 Thanks
    esmerelda98
    The 'switch now' button was missing but the Chat Rep told me that pressing the area on the screen where it should be should work. Thanks for replying.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 7th Dec 18, 12:15 PM
    • 7,810 Posts
    • 3,838 Thanks
    Stompa
    Their website seems to be misbehaving. If you get a quote and then click on 'Tariff Information', you get taken to a page where all the relevant numbers are missing.
    Stompa
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 7th Dec 18, 12:44 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    wavelets
    Their website seems to be misbehaving. If you get a quote and then click on 'Tariff Information', you get taken to a page where all the relevant numbers are missing.
    Originally posted by Stompa
    Site works fine for me.
    Has the 'Switch Now' button, and all the information included in the 'Tariff Information'
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 7th Dec 18, 1:33 PM
    • 7,810 Posts
    • 3,838 Thanks
    Stompa
    Site works fine for me.
    Has the 'Switch Now' button, and all the information included in the 'Tariff Information'
    Originally posted by wavelets
    Very odd, it still doesn't for me (I tried 2 different browsers). It was the same yesterday.
    Stompa
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 7th Dec 18, 1:58 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    wavelets
    Very odd, it still doesn't for me (I tried 2 different browsers). It was the same yesterday.
    Ah, there does seem to be an issue with some results.

My first results only gave me one tariff option "Just UP 18 Week 38 Direct"
    ... and it all worked

Just did another comparison for a different region, and non-E7 usage, and it gave 2 results - this includes UP Energy Saver as an alternative.
    - this fails to have any info under Tariff Information

(But the 'Switch Now' is there - it's nowt a button, and only appears when I move the cursor above 'Tariff Information')

I'll add some screen shots to explain better ....

Edit: so it seems to be an issue based on the supply region

Here were the results for the Eastern Region

And when I clicked on 'Tariff Information'

But When I did a quote foir the London supply region (different usages), my first results page was

Then expanding, say, the first offering

Moving my cursor above 'Tariff Information'

And then clicking on 'Tariff Information'

Last edited by wavelets; 07-12-2018 at 2:19 PM.
    • esmerelda98
    • By esmerelda98 7th Dec 18, 2:31 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 930 Thanks
    esmerelda98
    I have the same problem as Stompa. No tariff information and the ‘switch now’ button is invisible.
    • Chocmonster7
    • By Chocmonster7 7th Dec 18, 4:05 PM
    • 2,332 Posts
    • 2,072 Thanks
    Chocmonster7
    "Early exit fee £72" WOOOOW
    Originally posted by Maxwell007

That's £30 each for dual fuel plus the VAT, seems to be a standard charge for these types of fixed deals.
    • Terresa
    • By Terresa 7th Dec 18, 5:12 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Terresa
    Strangely I've not yet received my monthly statement this month. In previous months it's always appeared either on the last day of the month or the first day of the next month.
    Is your bill for last month available yet? Ours is available via our online account, dated 04/12/2018

What is the last day of your billing cycle?

We get billed up to the last day of the month, so provide our meter readings on that day (and so get non-estimated bills)

We've never had the bill produced that day, or even the first of the following month. Look at our past bills, they seem to be dated between the 2nd and the 6th of the following month.

Bearing in mind the 1st & 2nd of December 2018 were Saturday & Sunday, having a bill dated 4th is not bad at all.
    • JustMeHere
    • By JustMeHere 10th Dec 18, 10:57 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JustMeHere
    For those having trouble seeing the tariff information and switch buttons, I had the same issue as well until I realised that it's a 'responsive' site and when I increased the size of the browser window the tariff details and switch buttons suddenly appeared. I was using Chrome on a Macbook if that helps.
    • Streaky Bacon
    • By Streaky Bacon 13th Dec 18, 12:13 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Streaky Bacon
    I'm have a look at UP now because I missed a tariff with another supplier.

The feedback here seems OK, as it does on TrustPilot, but the Google reviews are pretty awful, which worries me.

Many of the complaints are about how contactable the company is (plus the DD hiking issue).

I have just called them to ask about switching and, per the Google reviews, I was asked to leave a voicemail instead.

I then decided to try another means of contacting them, so went to their contact page:

https://www.utilitypoint.co.uk/Contact

I can't say that I am impressed. It suggests a Web Chat, but there seems to be no link to it. It also suggests email, but provide no address or link.

Also, under their Feedback and Complaints Procedure it just says

"We pride ourselves on our excellent customer service, but if something's not quite right we'd really like to hear your feedback to help us improve."

with no link to further information. Not exactly what I would consider a "complaints procedure".

Even their postal address doesn't have a postcode.

Now, I must admit that I am tempted by their tariff , but all of the above are red flags.

Just wondered if any current customers had any thoughts on this.
    Last edited by Streaky Bacon; 13-12-2018 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo
    • rabbitmoon
    • By rabbitmoon 13th Dec 18, 12:21 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    rabbitmoon
    Hi Streaky,
    I'm currently in the same boat and eyeing up Utility Point. On the contact page you referenced, the email address appears as a link when hovering over the email icon (help@... - this is a pretty old-school way of doing email links, as most people use gmail etc rather than Outlook). There is a postcode showing for me in the bottom right below the address (BH17 7FJ) not that it fills me with confidence. The whole site looks pretty shoddy - they must be a very small company (perhaps even just a couple of people?) who can't be bothered to man the chat function while they're busy christmas shopping and whatnot.

Also: the "our story" navbar link (from the homepage) is a joke, leading to blah blah "Efficiency. Dedication. Together." fluffery. Not really a 'story' of development and still absolutely no information about the company or people. Think I'd rather pay a bit more for some reliability (the illusion of at the very least).
    Last edited by rabbitmoon; 13-12-2018 at 12:25 PM.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 13th Dec 18, 12:25 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    wavelets
    I'm have a look at UP now because I missed a tariff with another supplier.

The feedback here seems OK, as it does on TrustPilot, but the Google reviews are pretty awful, which worries me.

Many of the complaints are about how contactable the company is (plus the DD hiking issue).

I have just called them to ask about switching and, per the Google reviews, I was asked to leave a voicemail instead.

I then decided to try another means of contacting them, so went to their contact page:

https://www.utilitypoint.co.uk/Contact

I can't say that I am impressed. It suggests a Web Chat, but there seems to be no link to it. It also suggests email, but provide no address or link.

Also, under their Feedback and Complaints Procedure it just says

"We pride ourselves on our excellent customer service, but if something's not quite right we'd really like to hear your feedback to help us improve."

with no link to further information. Not exactly what I would consider a "complaints procedure".

Even their postal address doesn't have a postcode.

Now, I must admit that I am tempted by their tariff , but all of the above are red flags.

Just wondered if any current customers had any thoughts on this.
    Originally posted by Streaky Bacon
    On the 'Contact us' us page you link to, there is an option to email
    If you click on that icon, it should open your email client, with their email address already loaded.

If that is not working for you, then hovering over the icon shows their email address is

help@utilitypoint.co.uk

As regards no postcode, take a look at the bottom right of the page

If you have any cause to complain, this page explains what to do ... and even offers the option of doing so using an online form
    https://www.utilitypoint.co.uk/Complaints
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 13th Dec 18, 12:26 PM
    • 1,335 Posts
    • 974 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    I've been with them since July for electricity only.
    I emailed them once and got a reply in a couple of days.
    And yes they did put up my DD by 12% to cover the winter use which was a little annoying but nothing major in cost terms. That was why I emailed them.
    Always supply the meter reading on the last day of your billing cycle to avoid them estimating it. I once put in a reading 3 days early and their estimate was equal to 6 days use not the 3. Again not major, just annoying.
    • Streaky Bacon
    • By Streaky Bacon 13th Dec 18, 12:51 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Streaky Bacon
    Thanks for all the above.

The somewhat shoddy website is a little off putting, but is probably offset by the tariff

It sounds as if their responsiveness is not great, but probably acceptable, as long as they actually solve the problem when they respond.

Would still like to see the web chat working (or at least saying that it is not currently available).

Always supply the meter reading on the last day of your billing cycle to avoid them estimating it.
    Originally posted by gsmlnx
    I assume that this is done online, and works fairly smoothly. Is that correct?
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 13th Dec 18, 1:03 PM
    • 1,335 Posts
    • 974 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    I assume that this is done online, and works fairly smoothly. Is that correct?
    Originally posted by Streaky Bacon
    Yes you log on to the website and enter the reading(s) only.
    So far no issues and the reading is shown on the page after you submit it along with the previous readings.
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 13th Dec 18, 1:28 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    I have used web chat, when it has both been online and offline. Online, India is brilliant. Offline, India usually replies within 24 hours.

I have found them to be a breath of fresh air. It is on an infrequent occasion that I have had to contact them.

The last time was about 4 weeks ago, when my latest bill showed that I had had my online discount removed. A quick message to them and with 72 hours, a new bill issued with my online discount restored.
    • Streaky Bacon
    • By Streaky Bacon 13th Dec 18, 1:46 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Streaky Bacon
    OK thanks. Well I think I am going to give them a go.

Tomorrow is day 1 of 49 for the end of my current contract, so I'll submit the request tomorrow (UP do seem to offer to cover the exit fee, but will be cleaner to apply tomorrow).

Does anybody have any feedback on the process for claiming accrued credit amount refunds during the contract?
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 13th Dec 18, 2:03 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    I have got the odd £25 referral credit here and there. When I have asked for this to be credited to my bank account, it has taken around 10 working days.

They are a new company, only started trading this time last year, so I doubt there will be anyone with crediting account after leaving experience.

I have been with them since January of this year. I did not fix with them until April, as I was testing them out for the first few months.
    • Spin Doctor
    • By Spin Doctor 17th Dec 18, 9:25 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Spin Doctor
    Utility Point seasonal charge variation
    I'm switching to Utility Point's Energy Saver package. Beware - the information screen on their Energy Saver page describes how their prices are 25% higher than your average monthly payment from January to June, and 25% less than your average in July to December, depending on tariff. This is misleading, as this information page only concerns the Energy Saver tariff.

However, the +/- % does vary depending on which energy supply company area you're in, which isn't mentioned on the information page. In my case, its 33% above my average monthly payment in January-June and 33% below average in July-December. UP customer help have accepted that their information is misleading and have fed this back up the line to their senior management.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,696Posts Today

8,957Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Right back to self imposed twitter exile until Thur - trying to be off work (not v successfully)

• Too painful to talk about. That result really was offsensive. For rancid cheese & onion to beat powerful salt & v? https://t.co/FJchchPk0o

• If you think this hypothetical's bad, here's some of my past polls - Which past PM would u resurrect to aid politi? https://t.co/N61QGBOJ6b

• Follow Martin