Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 2nd Jan 18, 10:53 AM
    • 1,221Posts
    • 696Thanks
    poppellerant
    Feedback on Utility Point
    • 2nd Jan 18, 10:53 AM
    Feedback on Utility Point 2nd Jan 18 at 10:53 AM
    Having compared my tariff online, this company seems to be the same price as my existing Flex4 tariff with Iresa. But even Googling Utility Point's name didn't instantly find their website. I can't seem to find much, if any, feedback on this company so they must be relatively new. I only found them with Energy Helpline's comparison site.

If anybody has any comments or feedback to make on this company, I'd really like to hear them. Even if you're in the middle of switching, it'd be good to see how they treat potential customers. I did try to call them today, but it seems they are closed.

This is their website: https://www.utilitypoint.co.uk/
Page 1
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 2nd Jan 18, 11:08 AM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    • 2nd Jan 18, 11:08 AM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 11:08 AM
    They were only granted a supply license for electricity on 14th July 2017 so this is probably their launch.
    Zero chance for any feedback.

Just went to their site and asked for a quote for an exact usage. Quoted monthly DD did not match the price when calculated from the tariff details by nearly 2% (and I tried various combinations of whether VAT was added or not). The quote lacked whether it was VAT inclusive as did the tariff details. But still a good price, just wish the maths added up and they showed the workings out.
    Last edited by gsmlnx; 02-01-2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Add price quote
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 2nd Jan 18, 1:39 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    poppellerant
    • 2nd Jan 18, 1:39 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 1:39 PM
    If you calculate your total cost with the units and standing charges, the prices work out fine - bear in the mind the prices shown on the site do appear to include VAT. My issue was working out the discounts - is it £30.00 (Online Account Management Discount) + £6.50 (Dual Fuel Discount) per energy, or total? I'd imagine it is £36.50.

But the site does not show your quote with any discounts removed, so it is difficult to come to any conclusions.

Something else I would like to know is do they support smart meters? If so, that would be a great bonus for me. If not, then it's not big deal for me - I just have to keep reading my meter manually.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 2nd Jan 18, 2:13 PM
    • 6,846 Posts
    • 4,403 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 2nd Jan 18, 2:13 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 2:13 PM
    If you calculate your total cost with the units and standing charges, the prices work out fine - bear in the mind the prices shown on the site do appear to include VAT. My issue was working out the discounts - is it £30.00 (Online Account Management Discount) + £6.50 (Dual Fuel Discount) per energy, or total? I'd imagine it is £36.50.

But the site does not show your quote with any discounts removed, so it is difficult to come to any conclusions.

Something else I would like to know is do they support smart meters? If so, that would be a great bonus for me. If not, then it's not big deal for me - I just have to keep reading my meter manually.
    Originally posted by poppellerant
    Usually the discounts are included in the quoted standing charge. This is why on a fixed contract, the standing charge is not fixed although many suggest otherwise. In other words, if a contract term or condition is breached, a higher standing charge will appear on the bill when the discount is removed.

PS: All suppliers 'support' smart meters. What some are saying is that they do not have the means to take the information from the meter directly or via The Data Communications Company. If you have a smart meter, these suppliers will accept you but you must provide manual meter reads.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 2nd Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    poppellerant
    • 2nd Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, Hengus. The standing charges and unit rates are identical both on Utility Point's website and Energy Helpline's. Neither one seems to have adjust the prices to take into account the discounts.

One thing I do find odd is that Energy Helpline's site shows £13.65 for "discounts & additional charges". I accept that this is (£6.50 x 2) + VAT.

But on Utility Point's site, this is show as £6.50 per energy - this is before VAT. This is on the same page that shows their prices including VAT. It seems their website is mixing up prices which include VAT and prices that exclude it. It isn't too obvious until you compare the prices shows on their own site and those shown Energy Helpline's.

Something else to note, is that Energy Helpline doesn't seem to acknowledge the £30 "Online Account Management Discount". I suspect this is per fuel, so that's £60 in total.

I shall phone Utility Point tomorrow with these points. This test of their customer handling will tell me whether or not I want to switch.
    • SpotlandRules
    • By SpotlandRules 2nd Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    SpotlandRules
    When I did a quote for gas and elec, prices looked good - elec is excellent.

When I did a quote for elec only, it crashed. Does not bode well, IMO.
    • SpotlandRules
    • By SpotlandRules 2nd Jan 18, 3:59 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    SpotlandRules
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:59 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:59 PM
    Should always listen to my gut instinct.

The electricity only quote decided to work and it beat my current EON 12.506p Unit Rate and 16.442 S/C, so I thought I would take the chance.

Completed the sign up and it has hung on "Confirm and Switch". I have tried phoning then, and goes to answer phone after around 1 minute. I need to know if it has gone through, but no one answers the phone.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 2nd Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    poppellerant
    • 2nd Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    That's why I am phoning tomorrow - or rather, will try to. Most small businesses will be closed until the 3rd of January because of Christmas holidays.
    • SpotlandRules
    • By SpotlandRules 2nd Jan 18, 5:14 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    SpotlandRules
    • 2nd Jan 18, 5:14 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 5:14 PM
    Well according to the person I spoke to (will withhold his name) after they rang me back, everything has gone through I I go live on 25.1.18.

Was a very helpful chap and very happy with their prices.

In contract with my gas until June, so will see how the next five months go.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 2nd Jan 18, 6:43 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    poppellerant
    Well according to the person I spoke to (will withhold his name) after they rang me back, everything has gone through I I go live on 25.1.18.

Was a very helpful chap and very happy with their prices.

In contract with my gas until June, so will see how the next five months go.
    Originally posted by SpotlandRules
    Oh they were open today, you just had to leave your name and number? That's unusual, I'd expect somebody to pick the phone up and answer it at the very least.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 2nd Jan 18, 6:44 PM
    • 6,846 Posts
    • 4,403 Thanks
    Hengus
    Looking at Companies House, Utilty Point no longer exists. It changed its name to BoltLand Energy in early December 2017.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10544785
    • SpotlandRules
    • By SpotlandRules 2nd Jan 18, 7:01 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    SpotlandRules
    Think I am going to be pulling out. Looking at Google Maps, 44 Highfield Road is a residential house.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 2nd Jan 18, 7:04 PM
    • 6,846 Posts
    • 4,403 Thanks
    Hengus
    A lot of the new/small companies are nothing more than a person with a laptop.
    • SpotlandRules
    • By SpotlandRules 2nd Jan 18, 7:09 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    SpotlandRules
    Looking at this, it seems to be a two person band, as it was one of the directors I spoke to on the phone.

https://energy-advise.com/utility-point-energy-reviews/
    • SpotlandRules
    • By SpotlandRules 15th Jan 18, 5:03 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    SpotlandRules
    Decided to keep with the switch. Communication has been very good so far.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 15th Jan 18, 5:41 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    footyguy
    Coming up more slightly expensive than Flex 4 for me (on Economy 7), but probably similar to Flex 5 once you take into account their £15 discount for online account management.

No freephone number if there was a need to call them (and if it was permitted if you accept online account management), not even a geographic number.

Lets hope it all continues to go ok for you, as there's also a £30 early exit fee (per fuel) should you want out mid-term
    • SpotlandRules
    • By SpotlandRules 15th Jan 18, 5:58 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    SpotlandRules
    I'm on the variable tariff, not tying myself in, until I have experienced.

0345 come out of my allowances, so not that bothered about freephone and/or geographical telephone number.

Only signed up for electricity as Zog are cheaper for gas.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 24th Jan 18, 4:53 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    poppellerant
    I have decided to take the plunge and started the switch from Iresa to Utility Point. Wish me luck!

Seriously though. My account is in good standing with Iresa, showing credit on both my gas and electricity accounts. Should I cancel my direct debit for the beginning of next month, or allow it to come out as normal? My first direct debit with Utility Point is due in the middle of February, with the view to changing this date after the first direct debit.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 24th Jan 18, 4:58 PM
    • 6,846 Posts
    • 4,403 Thanks
    Hengus
    I have decided to take the plunge and started the switch from Iresa to Utility Point. Wish me luck!

Seriously though. My account is in good standing with Iresa, showing credit on both my gas and electricity accounts. Should I cancel my direct debit for the beginning of next month, or allow it to come out as normal? My first direct debit with Utility Point is due in the middle of February, with the view to changing this date after the first direct debit.
    Originally posted by poppellerant
    FWIW, I wouldn’t give Iresa any reason to block your transfer of supply. That said, I had to threaten legal action to get my credit back. Best of luck.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 24th Jan 18, 5:07 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    poppellerant
    FWIW, I wouldn’t give Iresa any reason to block your transfer of supply. That said, I had to threaten legal action to get my credit back. Best of luck.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Thanks for replying Hengus - I had hoped you might.

You are thinking along the same lines as me, don't give Iresa any reason to block the transfer. I look forward to closing the door on Iresa!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

298Posts Today

1,812Users online

Martin's Twitter