Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 4:26 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Scottish Power
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:26 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Scottish Power 28th Jan 13 at 4:26 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Scottish Power

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 23-10-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Page 3
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 11th Sep 13, 5:59 PM
    • 2,662 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    anotheruser
    Scottish Power were pretty good while I was with them.
    Then rubbish when I left.

Switched to nPower.

SP called and asked "why are you leaving?". I told them I liked nPower / better deal / good android app for sending meter readings. I also said nPower kept my DD's the same and if I was in debt, they just billed me. SC man said they wouldn't do that and we argued about it for a few mins. How cheeky! I was the one who was getting the bills so I think I know. Plus, I can send them (NP) a meter reading and they won't bill me, while SP bills me every time I send a meter reading.

Had another phone call (3 weeks after switching) asking me to come back. Said no.

Had two final bills, both say "gas" but then have electric on the back also. Both are identical and have estimated readings. NP gave the proper readings. No mention when I will receive my cheque.

But I find many companies tend to be good until you leave. Then they turn.
    • wizzywilc
    • By wizzywilc 13th Sep 13, 2:08 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    wizzywilc
    Credit balance switching from Scottish Power
    I switched from Scottish Power to EDF 2 months ago. The switch itself went smoothly, but I've only just realised that my closing account was over 100 in credit, and they hadn't returned this. No problem when I rang them to ask for it back (I always found their customer services quite helpful, switched for price reasons) but I wonder how often this gets overlooked by the company.
  • JOE_STOTTS
    Do a quote via USWITCH or Money saving expert then hit TOPCASHBACK DOT COM!

I switched to Scottish Power last week when they were offering 105 cash back!

They are currently giving 84 cashback at the moment until 16thSeptember!
    • SnakeDoctor
    • By SnakeDoctor 14th Sep 13, 5:07 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    SnakeDoctor
    No bills!
    Does anyone know if SP are having any problems with their billing system?
    I sent them my meter readings 2 weeks ago (and got an email back confirming receipt), but I still cannot view my bill online. Until now it has been available after 3 or 4 days.

Thank you.
  • lynnig
    Terrible!!!
    Hi all,

My contract with SP finished at the end of May this year. I was on SP's standard tariff at the time. I switched to EDFenergy after seeing a rep in a local supermarket during July. I supplied EDF with my meter readings as requested.

EDF sent me an email saying :-
    Electricity Supply Start Date: 2 August 2013
    Gas Supply Start Date: 12 August 2013

I received an email from SP asking me to log into my online account with them to view a bill. I did so and the bill was my final electricity bill up to 1st August 2013. Great that went OK and my bank account was credited with the money the final bill said I had in credit.

I received another email from SP in August asking me to log in to my account again. Final gas bill I thought!?!?! NO it was an estimated gas bill from SP up to 5th September 2013!!?!??!

This means that SP have over charged me for my gas by almost a month and they still have my account open with them when it should have been finalized on 11th August 2013! Today my bank account has been credited with 42 from SP, then immediately debited the same 42! This after I stopped the DD associated with SP in my bank last week! My bank told me they could still credit my account but NOT debit it (that's another story though!).

I have rang SP today several times. Once I was connected and immediately cut off, another time I was told by their automated system to try contacting them online and then cut off. Finally I requested a call back to try and get it sorted out. I waited over an hour for this call back and finally got it. I gave the SP rep my account number and he said "I can't deal with this, our system is being updated and I'll have to transfer you..." After 20mins waiting for the transfer to be answered, I was connected to another SP rep. I explained the situation to him and he said "I'll just put you on hold while I check the details..." The phone played some music again and then went dead but did not give any tone that would indicate a dis-connection from SP. After 40+ minutes I hung up!

OK so we are in October now so here's an update...

Yesterday I got an updated bill from SP. It did NOT say it was final and mentioned a dd of 41 being taken around 14th October! EDF have been dealing with my complaints with them for me and have told me that this is indeed my final bill, after a call to their complaints dept. on my behalf.

Conclusions...
    Having been with SP for the last 3-4years and finding them really good with their customer services on the whole, I have found this whole episode over the last few months with them appalling and a disgrace! Their customer services have been shocking during my switch over to EDF. Their 0845 numbers have cost me in excess of 15 and I have found them almost impossible to reach. I have stopped my dd with them at my bank, to prevent them taking any more of my money, and I am now waiting for them to reimburse the money that they owe me. All this from a gas account which should have been closed almost 2 months ago!!!
    Last edited by lynnig; 02-10-2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: update...
    • swanny65
    • By swanny65 23rd Sep 13, 9:59 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    swanny65
    Just switched via the Energy Club to SP Online Fixed Price Energy December 2014 from Ovo Energy. I will be paying more coming off my Ovo fix but this was the lowest overall increase, including the 100.00 cashback offered.

Will let you know how it smoothly the switch progresses.
    • kuepper
    • By kuepper 2nd Oct 13, 1:04 AM
    • 699 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    kuepper
    They've been the best energy outfit i've ever dealt with - all done online without any hiccups. My deal runs out this month and it'll be a bind to leave them if that's what i do
  • Charlie68
    Fine until I switched away
    [QUOTE=MSE Samantha;58955461]This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Scottish Power

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Cheap Energy Club

I had a trouble free year on a fixed tariff. After the end of the fix period I switched to another company. But then Scottish Power took 50 from my bank account for doing an 'early' switch and I discovered they had put me on another year-long fix without any agreement from me. After writing to their customer service a couple of times and getting no reply I took them to the Ombudsman, got my money back plus 25 for the hassle and a (rather begrudging) letter of apology. I won't sign up with them again.
    • solentsusie
    • By solentsusie 2nd Oct 13, 3:00 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    solentsusie
    Currently with Scottish Power and desperately trying to get away from them.

They have constantly kept trying to put up my direct debits so much that I ended up cancelling it. I was over 300 in credit on my dual fuel account, this credit was constantly creeping up and up until I contacted them to tell them to reduce my direct debit payments or pay me the money back. But they now insisted on attempting to double my direct debit payments yet again.

My friend has had the same problem, they put her direct debit up from 90 a month to just under 200 a month with no notice or justification of why the jump was so high. She was in credit as well.

Moving supplier as soon as possible. They are a bunch of theives and get random excuses as to why they need to put the payments up so much. I now live on my own now my son and his girlfriend have moved out so using less fuel, particularly as there is nobody at home in the day now so no heating will be on. I told them this but this made no difference. Somewhere else will be getting my business.

Yes, easy to switch to but beware when you get there!
    • Dustykitten
    • By Dustykitten 3rd Oct 13, 10:38 AM
    • 16,409 Posts
    • 281,332 Thanks
    Dustykitten
    I've had trouble with them messing about with my Direct Debits. Original figure they set up was wrong (they put an extra one in so I was paying 50 less than I needed to). They couldn't change this to a sensible amount only a much higher amount due to 'their system' so I ended up making one off payments to adjust it. Then they put the DD up massively and would not listen to me that I am very good at monitoring my usage/DD balance.

Coming to the end of my deal and will be switching.

On a positive I find their website good and easy to use.

The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
    • SnakeDoctor
    • By SnakeDoctor 4th Oct 13, 10:26 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    SnakeDoctor
    Anyone else unable to get SP to bill them?
    Input a meter reading on 31 Aug and again on 30 Sep but still cannot get a bill out of them in spite of being told on 18 Sep and 23 Sep that it would be fixed soon.
    Today someone told me that my account has a 'billing block' on it but couldn't tell me why or when it would be removed. She also told me that she couldn't change the tariff that I'm on because of it and suggested that I phone back at the end of the month!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was pleased with SP until their IT systems went t***-up. Maybe I should look for another supplier - or are they all as bad as each other?

Please can the SP Rep sort this for me?

Thank you
  • Cityboy01
    AVOID. they use direct debit agreement as licence to free cash and will resist refund
    Have been ONLINE FIXED PRICE ENERGY with Scottish Power for 1 year this month. I cannot wait to change due to extremely poor communication, customer service and no integrity or ethics when it comes to direct debit charges and refunds.

THE FACTS:
    Claiming my usage was higher than expected they have more than doubled my monthly direct debit (without prior authorisation) from 59 to 141 which resulted in an overcharge for consumption and them owing me 374.05 net as of today (10-Oct-2013). My experience so far:

(1) They claim to review the direct debit charge every quarter but factually do not.The direct debit increase happened over 6 months ago and has not been reviewed since.

(2) They did not refund my credit balance as discussed and agreed over the phone. The consultant was very resistant to my request for a refund and tried to talk me out of reducing my direct debit. I now know he lied to me about refunding me within 14 days. I am still waiting.

(3) They offer an online option to reduce your direct debit payments but charge of c.15+ for doing so. Is this even legal?

(4) Their customer service phone service takes you through the usual labyrinth before suddenly cutting off without warning.

(5) They did not reply to any of my follow-up emails (except the usual automated responses)

My view of Scottish Power is they use customers Direct Debit agreements as licence to help themselves to free cash advances through over-charging, justifying the practice with their "variable direct debit" clause.

AVOID.
    • vickyanne
    • By vickyanne 20th Oct 13, 10:05 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    vickyanne
    Used to be ok but are terrible now. Can never get through to them and when you do the advisers never seem able to do anything. Unfortunately they're always cheapest for us as we have economy 7. Took me all this week to speak to someone about altering our tariff and then a long time to get them to agree to setting the DD at the right amount. They just want to get you to overpay and always be in credit. They usually raise my DD in winter and then drop it in summer??? surely that's not the way a monthly DD scheme should work?
    I think they're a set of money grabbing cheating inept muppets!
    • pandora205
    • By pandora205 21st Oct 13, 2:04 PM
    • 2,825 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    pandora205
    Well I'm already a SP customer on Online Fixed Price Energy November 2013 which is about to finish so I ran my consumption details through the comparison websites to find the best tariff. This turned out to be SPs Online Fixed Price Energy March 2015. When I logged in to the website it recognised me as an existing customer and directed me to swap through my account. However, this deal wasn't showing at all. I've just spent 40 mins on the phone (came home at lunch time to do this too) listening to no music/random bits of music with no idea how long I was queuing for. Anyway, I eventually got through and made the swap.

I also asked whether I could see my Economy 7 consumption as when I was checking yesterday I couldn't find it. Apparently they don't show this online at all, so I had to wait while they checked and then gave me a percentage of usage. This isn't very satisfactory - especially as I'm trying to increase my usage and see how well I am doing. I couldn't see previous months figures apart from a graph, so that wasn't helpful. I think I'll have to keep my own data in future.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
    • pandora205
    • By pandora205 25th Oct 13, 9:13 PM
    • 2,825 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    pandora205
    Another thought, why don't they have online reps here like E-On do. It would be very useful....

Please note Scottish Power!
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
    • DragonQ
    • By DragonQ 25th Oct 13, 9:34 PM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    DragonQ
    Scottish Power are having a laugh with their latest fix (Online Fixed Price Energy February 2015). 34.25p/day standing charge then ~12p/kWh for just electricity. A further 34.25p/day standing charge then ~3.6p/kWh for gas. You'd have to use a hell of a lot of energy for that to be any good!
  • dorset76
    Rubbish. Totally utterly rubbish.

I signed up with Scottish Power in February/March of this year after moving into a new home and had to chase them to send me the terms and conditions, which involved being on hold to their customer services team for hours (not a good start!). I received a letter on April 4 saying that someone would be in touch soon to arrange my boiler inspection, which forms part of my HomeComfort Boiler Care, which is part of what I am paying for by being a Platinum Fixed Energy April 2015 customer. It was one of the reasons I signed up as I thought it would be useful in a new house.

Come September, nobody had been in touch. Literally nobody. No emails, no letters, no phone calls. (I had a baby in April and was quite tied up with her so not really able to chase SP as much as I would like!)

I emailed them in September saying that as I am basically paying for a premium service that I do not receive, as such I would like my Homecomfort payments refunded.

I had one email reply and two phone calls from Scottish Power in the week of Sept 18 - both telling me that my complaint had been passed to senior managers and was being escalated and would be dealt with as a matter of urgency - and then I heard nothing more. It's now the end of October.

If anyone has any advice on what I should do now I'd be grateful. My baby is now six months old and starting to crawl so I have even less time to be chasing up shoddy energy companies. Plus, the weather is getting colder and I still haven't had my bloody boiler checked!

I didn't have to pay energy bills in my old flat - it was included in the rent - so I am new to this and would appreciate any words of wisdom!
    • LesU
    • By LesU 28th Oct 13, 3:41 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    LesU
    I must be one of lucky ones. Was on SP 'fixed until Jan 2014' tariff. My initial DD was a little low after last winter, but when the review came round SP increased the DD to pretty much what I expected. Part of the year I owed them and this part of the year they owe me, but that is just before consumption starts to rise again.

Decided to switch to 'fixed until end March 2015', went on line submitted meter readings, got quotes for all of their products, selected the correct product, got a revised DD calculated, which is slightly lower than at the moment. The consumption estimate is, of course, based on last winter, so may end up too high eventually.
    My account now shows the new tariff and the new DD. All done on-line.

What is more the tariff I selected came out the cheapest in comparisons and I'm only paying 7% more than my last fixed tariff, but fixed for two whole winters. So my increase works out about 3-4% per year.
  • grabbit
    Scottish Power + Regulator = FAIL
    After battling with Scottish Power for several years I finally complained to the ombudsman because of their insistence on re-evaluating my direct debit payments without any factual historical or future data.

Guess what ......
    Toothless, spineless, powerless Ombudsman says that while they should base direct debits on reality, they don't have to.

Goodbye Scottish Power. AND Energy regulator. You are the weakest link !
    • Stoodles
    • By Stoodles 29th Oct 13, 10:00 AM
    • 721 Posts
    • 9,014 Thanks
    Stoodles
    I've just tried to switch to Online Fixed February 2015 tariff, but have been told it isn't yet on their system, so I will be put on a waiting list. I requested an email to confirm that I will definitely be put onto the tariff, but it only confirms I'll be put on the waiting list.

Haver responded "Unless you can provide that assurance, I would be wiser to move to another company who can put me onto a fixed tariff now.", and now awaiting an outcome.

I'm currently with Scottish Power, and have always found them helpful and efficient. Like every energy company, they play the game of trying to hike my DD, but they are always amenable to me telling them what is reasonable.. I'd like to stay with them, but won't if they can't be straight over their tariffs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

232Posts Today

1,235Users online

Martin's Twitter