Advice on inherited solar panels

2»

Comments

• Sio810
    Sio810 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Maybe you are been told lies so that the original owner can keep the money, just a thought.
    The only people I have spoken to is the energy company and another company and the property has never been registered for FiT
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Sio810 wrote: »
    The only people I have spoken to is the energy company and another company and the property has never been registered for FiT

Having just sold a house with PV Solar, I had to answer a comprehensive set of questions from my buyers’ solicitor about my PV Solar installation.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,871 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 December 2018 at 11:25AM
    Sio810 wrote: »

Note- As a result of a number of government changes to the FIT scheme in January 2016, Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) certified installations with an issue date and commissioning date of 14 January 2016 or earlier had till midnight of 31 March 2016 at the latest to apply to a FIT licensee. This applies to all MCS technologies (solar PV and wind with a declared net capacity of 50kW or less) under the scheme. If no application was submitted by the deadline, the installation will not be eligible to receive FIT support from any FIT Licensee. Please note that as administers of the scheme, there are no provisions to enable Ofgem to allow an applicant who has missed this deadline to enter the FIT scheme
  • Having just sold a house with PV Solar, I had to answer a comprehensive set of questions from my buyers’ solicitor about my PV Solar installation

Unfortunatley this house is a repossession, bought by a company and sold on to me. My solicitors did a great job of getting the information about the panels, delaying the sale of the house, but there was no information about FiT payments, I imagine because the previous owners did not sign up for them.

Thank you Sevenhills, I am aware of this (although it's probably the only thing I have been able to work out) which is why I'd like to find out how to make the most of the energy generated by the panels rather than it going into the grid. I live on my own and work 5 days a week so apart from supporting green energy I'm not personally getting much from them
  • On another note (for people who are registered for FIT)
    DO NOT get a smart meter as they measure ACTUAL export, if you export less than this you will be paid less
    If you have DEEMED EXPORT then you will be better off.

I'm not sure what you are saying here? The smart meter is separate and plays no part in FIT payment calculations. In fact, it's not necessarily communicating with your FIT payment provider or in my case, it doesn't even communicate with my energy provider. It just shows me energy usage at any given time or period.

You get FIT payment for every unit generated and a standard (deemed) amount for export.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 December 2018 at 1:09PM
    dprice8893 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you are saying here? The smart meter is separate and plays no part in FIT payment calculations. In fact, it's not necessarily communicating with your FIT payment provider or in my case, it doesn't even communicate with my energy provider. It just shows me energy usage at any given time or period.

You get FIT payment for every unit generated and a standard (deemed) amount for export.

Indeed. I installed solar PV in 2012, back in the good old days when the FIT was a sensible figure. I happened to be with nPower at the time for my electricity supply, so put the FIT with them for convenience. It didn't really matter as they all paid the same rate.

I moved supplier to OVO a couple of years later and they fitted a smart meter. Of course it's only smart with the current supplier so nPower certainly could not have seen what I was generating.

I've changed supplier a few more times since and of course the meter is now dumb. I still send my generation readings every quarter to nPower and still get my FIT and deemed export tariff.

Sorry, I realise this does not help the OP, but I thought that I would just clarify the situation with regard to the smart (or no so smart) meter
  • dprice8893 wrote: »

This differs from what a few people have told me

My mates supplier called to 'sell' a smart meter and was told once it was installed he would no longer have to send in FIT readings as the meter registered export and he would be paid on actual not deemed export
    He has a solax immersion controller which greatly reduces his export to almost zero a lot of the time so he refused.
    baldly going on...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    This differs from what a few people have told me

My mates supplier called to 'sell' a smart meter and was told once it was installed he would no longer have to send in FIT readings as the meter registered export and he would be paid on actual not deemed export
    He has a solax immersion controller which greatly reduces his export to almost zero a lot of the time so he refused.

A bit dated but it shows that not all smart meters are the same:

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/08/smart-meters-and-solar-panels-whats-the-sticking-point/

All SMETS 2 meters should have built in export readings; however, there are ongoing issues that suppliers have been told by Govt to sort out ASAP. If a meter is fitted that gives export readings then these have to be used for FIT payments.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'll just stick with my good old SMETS1 meter then!
  • Wunderful
    Wunderful Posts: 4 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 31 January 2019 at 6:45PM
    hi,
    My panels have been in place since 2011 so I may be able to help you.
    1) You can buy a diverter to divert any unused energy generated to heat upt water in the water tank. I do have one, but the company that sold mine also went out of business so you will need a different supplier. I have 10 panels and find that my solar panels provide "free" hot water most of the time between April and October. In winter it is hit and miss depending on how sunny the day is. We do get alot of cloudy days in winter as you will have noticed. My system is grid connected, so your situation may be different.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure