Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • universemaster
    • By universemaster 23rd Feb 17, 8:09 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    universemaster
    Which Suppliers Allow Single Rate Elec Tariffs on Dual Reading (Economy 7) Meter
    • 23rd Feb 17, 8:09 PM
    Which Suppliers Allow Single Rate Elec Tariffs on Dual Reading (Economy 7) Meter 23rd Feb 17 at 8:09 PM
    In particular do SCOTTISH POWER support this?

I live in a leasehold ex-Local-Authority block, where it's a right pain-in-the-!!! to get my economy 7 electricity meter changed.

I've tried and failed twice - work needs prior approval from freeholder/service company and access to communal boxes etc. Also needs time off work, and (for some suppliers) extra cost to change the meter (often >70)

The storage heaters were removed years ago, and we now use gas central heating.

Currently, we use a single rate electricity tariff with nPower. This works fine. I give them two readings and their technology can copy with adding these numbers up! But now I need to change suppliers, but am restricted to those who allow this, too!

Can we start a list of suppliers who support using a single rate electricity tariff with a dual rate meter? I'll edit the post with updates when we get responses to this thread.

It could vary by region so give part of your postcode. I live in E14, so even if to repeat someone else, please let me know if you have info and are in London.

Which Suppliers Allow Single Rate Elec Tariffs on Dual Reading (Economy 7) Meter

npower - Yes (E14)
    Scottish Power - Need to know urgently! But looks like a No - Chrishazle
    Economy Energy - Need to know
    Iresa - Yes - Thanks Raxiel
    Tonik - Need to know
    Bristol Energy - Need to know
    Robin Hood Energy - Need to know
    The Energy Deal - Need to know
    GnERGY - Need to know
    So Energy - Need to know
    EBICo - Need to know
    Breeze Energy - Need to know
    Affect Energy - Need to know
    first-utility - Need to know
    Avro Energy - Yes - Thanks cranford
    The Utility Warehouse - Need to know
    E.ON - Yes- Thanks E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    Octopus Energy - Need to know
    PFP Energy - Need to know
    M&S Energy - Need to know
    Octopus Energy - Need to know
    Green Star Energy - Need to know
    Engie - Need to know
    Flow Energy - Need to know
    Go Effortless Energy - Need to know
    Engie - Need to know
    SSE Southern Electric - Need to know
    Extra Energy - Need to know
    British Gas - Yes - Thanks Chrishazle
    Sainsburys Energy - Yes - Thanks Chrishazle
    Affect Energy - Yes - Thanks Chrishazle

I'll happily add others not listed above.
    Last edited by universemaster; 24-02-2017 at 8:03 PM. Reason: Added British Gas, Sainsburys Energy, Affect Energy from Chrishazle and Iresa from Raxiel
Page 1
    • Chrishazle
    • By Chrishazle 24th Feb 17, 9:14 AM
    • 502 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    Chrishazle
    • 24th Feb 17, 9:14 AM
    • 24th Feb 17, 9:14 AM
    Scottish Power - don't know if they've updated their system, but 4 or 5 years ago I tried to switch to them without success.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    • 24th Feb 17, 9:35 AM
    • 24th Feb 17, 9:35 AM
    Hiya universemaster,

I can see you've got us on your list.

We can bill an economy 7 meter on a one rate tariff, as you know we need both the reads and then we can just charge on the one rate tariff accurately.

You cab change you tariff on the website, or give us a ring if you need to

I'm here to help, if I can do anything else for you.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Guardsman01
    • By Guardsman01 25th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Guardsman01
    • 25th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    • 25th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    I can confirm that Flow Energy allow Single Rate Electricity Tariffs on Dual Reading (Economy 7) Meters
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 25th Mar 18, 4:18 PM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 25th Mar 18, 4:18 PM
    • 25th Mar 18, 4:18 PM
    Before rushing to mess about with a single rate have a look on Uswitch first using Eco 7 and single rate . Even if your night usage is less than 15% of total I think that Iresa Energys Eco 7 rates will most likely beat nearly all single rate electric tariffs.
    In my area, S. Yorks, Iresa are offering 11.5 p day, 8 p night and around 21p a day standing charges.
    With the hour going forward now you would have until 8.30 am to make use of the cheap rate. Most digital timers are drifting so it could be 9 am or later on most meters to use the cheap rate depending on how slow off the correct time relevant to GMT the timerswitch is.
    Stick with the Eco 7 and dont mess about with suppliers totaling the 2 rates
    Last edited by House Martin; 25-03-2018 at 8:27 PM.
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 25th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    • 25th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    • 25th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    The Energy Deal- No longer offering tariffs was part of RHE
    RHE- Yes
    Ebico- Yes
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 26th Mar 18, 7:59 AM
    • 3,100 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 26th Mar 18, 7:59 AM
    • 26th Mar 18, 7:59 AM
    Not on your list, but EDF will totalize E7 reading and charge as though a Standard meter
    • superkoopauk
    • By superkoopauk 26th Mar 18, 9:38 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    superkoopauk
    • 26th Mar 18, 9:38 PM
    • 26th Mar 18, 9:38 PM
    Utility Warehouse offer this I believe.
    • halogen
    • By halogen 27th Mar 18, 7:46 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    halogen
    • 27th Mar 18, 7:46 AM
    • 27th Mar 18, 7:46 AM
    Everwarm seem to be doing this with me. Wasn't intentional though.
    • busybee100
    • By busybee100 1st Apr 18, 2:53 PM
    • 1,198 Posts
    • 2,509 Thanks
    busybee100
    Hi.

Just switched to Usio lite. The online form has requested two readings so they should go to SSE ok. Only hiccup so far is the lite tariff says no need for a smart meter but the online registration form defaults to a page including info for a smart meter. I phoned them and they confirmed no smart meter.

• Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 1st Apr 18, 3:13 PM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 7,517 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Before rushing to mess about with a single rate have a look on Uswitch first using Eco 7 and single rate . Even if your night usage is less than 15% of total I think that Iresa Energys Eco 7 rates will most likely beat nearly all single rate electric tariffs.
    In my area, S. Yorks, Iresa are offering 11.5 p day, 8 p night and around 21p a day standing charges.
    With the hour going forward now you would have until 8.30 am to make use of the cheap rate. Most digital timers are drifting so it could be 9 am or later on most meters to use the cheap rate depending on how slow off the correct time relevant to GMT the timerswitch is.
    Stick with the Eco 7 and dont mess about with suppliers totaling the 2 rates
    Originally posted by House Martin

I can't help with the list as I am with nPower (until they morph into whatever through some merger) and you already know about them. I pay 11.5p all day and all night for leccy and the standing charge is very close too so I think House Martin has a very good point (when does he not?)
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • busybee100
    • By busybee100 6th Dec 18, 11:05 PM
    • 1,198 Posts
    • 2,509 Thanks
    busybee100
    Hi
    Are there any new suppliers which will take the two readings together? I was with Usio and don't really want a smart meter until they are fully compatible.

TIA

• Guardsman01
    • By Guardsman01 7th Dec 18, 9:10 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Guardsman01
    Avro Energy
    • busybee100
    • By busybee100 7th Dec 18, 10:39 AM
    • 1,198 Posts
    • 2,509 Thanks
    busybee100
    Fab thank you. I'm going to ring a few of my cheapest options today so I'll update later.

• wavelets
    • By wavelets 7th Dec 18, 10:45 AM
    • 693 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    wavelets
    Hi
    Are there any new suppliers which will take the two readings together? I was with Usio and don't really want a smart meter until they are fully compatible.

TIA
    Originally posted by busybee100
    You don't need a smart meter - just get yourself a single rate meter if you no longer wish to take advanatge of the low rate electricity on offer 7 hours every day with E7

Interestingly, when the price cap comes in next month for those on a SVT tariff, the normal (day) rate on E7 is capped at a lower rate than the corresponding single rate too
    (and there is no difference in the standing charge cap)

Ebico, supplied by Robin Hood Energy, can supply a single rate tariff despite having an E7 meter.
    - well they have for us, despite us never requesting it - but that may just be RHE incompetence.
    (when there is no electricity being used at the premesis, it doesn't make any difference - just that we were moved to their zero standing charge tariff)
    Last edited by wavelets; 07-12-2018 at 10:57 AM.
    • busybee100
    • By busybee100 7th Dec 18, 11:09 AM
    • 1,198 Posts
    • 2,509 Thanks
    busybee100
    Utility Point's response

Yes, under "I know my amount" on the quote, enter your total usage and then a 0 in the box below, this will provide you single rate tariffs. You will still need to provide us with 2 readings when with us

• busybee100
    • By busybee100 7th Dec 18, 11:14 AM
    • 1,198 Posts
    • 2,509 Thanks
    busybee100

Interestingly, when the price cap comes in next month for those on a SVT tariff, the normal (day) rate on E7 is capped at a lower rate than the corresponding single rate too
    (and there is no difference in the standing charge cap)
    Originally posted by wavelets

Hi wavelets

So the price cap for day rate on E7 is less than a single rate? Sorry don't know what the V is for, variable?

• busybee100
    • By busybee100 7th Dec 18, 11:42 AM
    • 1,198 Posts
    • 2,509 Thanks
    busybee100
    I gave up on one select as I was on hold for 15 mins.

Peoples energy answered quickly, chap with a lovely Scottish accent.

Yes they also offer a single tariff for E7 meters. He said to sign up as E7 then ring to be put on to the standard tariff.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

2,716Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Lord Sugar just said "she's talking like she's a 50 year old, she knows it inside out?" Genuine question if ther? https://t.co/6cZJ9d2Cni

• Follow Martin