Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ThePaintedLady
    • By ThePaintedLady 7th Dec 18, 10:38 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ThePaintedLady
    Switched energy provider, billed by old supplier and new supplier...
    • 7th Dec 18, 10:38 AM
    Switched energy provider, billed by old supplier and new supplier... 7th Dec 18 at 10:38 AM
    Good morning, and apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything in my search of the forum.

I recently switched energy providers (for both Gas and Electric) from British Gas to Green Network Energy, moving to their two-year fix. Today is Day 21 and we have had an email saying they will take their first payment today or in the next few days.

Our DD from British Gas came out on different days; Gas was set to come out on the 1st of the month with Electricity coming out on 8th. Our account with BG closed yesterday, and as per the advice in the Cheap Energy Club FAQs we didn't cancel our DD to BG. BG have taken the Gas payment on 3rd Dec, have applied to take the Electricity payment and GNE have applied to take the DD for both; this means approx. 160 has come out of our account.

This is my first switch, so I don't really know how it works, but it's rather frustrating to have paid two sets of payments in one month (and especially frustrating that that month is December, despite trying to reduce spending on Christmas presents this year..!)

Any insights you have would be greatly appreciated, and please forgive my ignorance with regards to posting; I read the rules but I've never been a member of a forum before!

Many thanks in advance
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 7th Dec 18, 10:49 AM
    • 19,726 Posts
    • 13,925 Thanks
    molerat
    • 7th Dec 18, 10:49 AM
    • 7th Dec 18, 10:49 AM
    You are not going to pay for the same energy twice so don't worry there. The DDs are just a payment on account and smaller companies often take the first payment up front as it helps with their cash flow, the big 6 tends to be in arrears. The important thing to know is how is your BG account standing at the moment, in credit or debit ? Just bad luck that it happened in December.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • ThePaintedLady
    • By ThePaintedLady 7th Dec 18, 11:05 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ThePaintedLady
    • 7th Dec 18, 11:05 AM
    • 7th Dec 18, 11:05 AM
    Thank you very much, AFAIK we are in credit, so should hopefully receive that back. I guess we could look at it as enforced savings?! Silver linings and all that!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,867Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Lord Sugar just said "she's talking like she's a 50 year old, she knows it inside out?" Genuine question if ther? https://t.co/6cZJ9d2Cni

• Follow Martin