Asda Price Guarantee to close

Options

Comments

• MalF
    MalF Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Is anyone else still getting the "We're having some problems" error message even when trying to log in on the APG page? Have they done a mass cull of accounts or something? I can check instore shops but can't log in to get any vouchers.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    pumpkin89 wrote: »
    Aldi and Lidl combined have a market share of 13.1%, which is still considerably less than Asda at 15.2%. Yes, the big supermarkets need to keep their eye on the discounters, but primarily they are competing with each other.

With respect, I doubt Waitrose have particularly missed your custom if you were only buying the products with 20% off. There are still plenty of people who aren't that price sensitive.

What I meant there was less incentive to go there after they removed the 20% promotion. Just for your information I did buy products that were not in that promotion.

If you look at thier pricing now on mysupermarket it looks like they have changed thier pricing policy and it's upwards.

If the discounter share is so small, why are the big boys trying to copy them. Why don't they just ignore them. Chargeing what they like and force them out of business.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • pumpkin89
    Options
    robin58 wrote: »
    If the discounter share is so small, why are the big boys trying to copy them. Why don't they just ignore them. Chargeing what they like and force them out of business.

They're trying to copy them because 13% of a big pie is still quite a bit! However, when you look at other European countries which have had discounters for much longer than the UK, they consistently reach about 20-25% market share and then plateau. That's because, while the simple pricing model and streamlined range appeals to a lot of customers, still the majority of people prefer a wider choice and don't mind paying a little extra. Asda are in a difficult position in that they have always competed on price, and so now occupy a bit of a nomansland, but merging with Sainsbury's should shake that up.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I knew it was on the cards. Plus on the BBC News article, it said only 1% of customers actually used it and not been advertised in store or on adverts for two years.

My colleagues that shop at Asda thought APG went 19 months ago.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 September 2018 at 10:45AM
    Options
    MalF wrote: »
    Is anyone else still getting the "We're having some problems" error message even when trying to log in on the APG page? Have they done a mass cull of accounts or something? I can check instore shops but can't log in to get any vouchers.

I have been experiencing this issue since Wednesday (5th September) morning trying to log in to check Tuesday's delivery. See Posts #3 & #5 above)

Another member reported the issue on 1st September.
    I'm getting an error about wizard's working on something when I try and log in.

Also
    ajbell wrote: »
    haven't been able to login to APG for more than 2 days.
  • MalF
    MalF Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    alanq wrote: »
    I have been experiencing this issue since Wednesday (5th September) morning trying to log in to check Tuesday's delivery. See Posts #3 & #5 above)

Another member reported the issue on 1st September.

Also

Thanks for the reply, I did see your post, but it suggested you were able to log in and access instore vouchers but not online ones. So has nobody been able to log in at all? Have they effectively ended APG already, with no warning, as being able to compare but not actually produce vouchers is a bit useless?
  • Davmac
    Options
    Don't know if it is relevant or not, but I was in a branch of Asda on Tuesday (4/9/18) evening and I was using a few APGs at a self service till, when a "happy to help colleague" decided to involve herself.
    Despite the fact that I didn't need her help, she had plenty to say.
    One thing that was relevant was that Asda are doing away with the vouchers in October.
    The other thing she said was that "No one will be able to download the vouchers from tomorrow"
    She was referring to Wednesday (5/9/18).
    If anyone looks at the asda site, there is no where stating you can login and download vouchers.
    Yes you can check the shopping, but that seems to be about it.
  • alanq
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 September 2018 at 2:58PM
    Options
    MalF wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I did see your post, but it suggested you were able to log in and access instore vouchers but not online ones.

I was checking both in-store purchases and deliveries both made on Tuesday 4th. I thought that I made both checks on Wednesday but it seems that I checked the in-store purchases on Tuesday. One only has to wait a few hours to check in-store purchases but up to 24 hours to check deliveries. The voucher I received for the in-store purchases expires on 3rd October. Any voucher that I might have received for the delivery would have expired after 3rd of October.

Andy Murray's message says "This month, we’ll be writing to our APG customers to let them know of the change, and the APG will operate as normal until 3rd October – meaning any customers who want to use it can still redeem their vouchers for 28 days from that date they receive them." which makes no sense.
    https://corporate.asda.com/lowerprices

Is that that meant to be that date? or the date they receive them?
  • alanq
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 September 2018 at 5:35PM
    Options
    Davmac wrote: »
    If anyone looks at the asda site, there is no where stating you can login and download vouchers.

They do say that "the APG will operate as normal until 3rd October". Any reasonable person would read that as meaning that any purchases made before that date will be eligible. Indeed the APG web page says "You can continue to check your shop as normal here until the 3rd of October, and you'll have 28 days after you check to redeem your voucher."
    https://www.asdapriceguarantee.co.uk/

If that is not the case and ASDA has left the APG check screen with a message that "we hope to be back up and running in no time." then it is guilty of seriously misleading its customers.

I reported the issue online to Customer Services 24 hours after I first noticed it . I have received no response other than an automatic acknowledgement. If this was due to a deliberate action I would have hoped that I would have quickly received clarification and the online FAQ would have been updated.

It is looking like I will be spending a lot more time in ALDI in the future.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If they follow the way of Tesco when they removed the brand match - they put up the prices of the brands which the discounters tend not to sell & reduced some prices that don't really have brands such as fruit & veg. Put another way the big supermarkets have decided not to compete against each other anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure