Child friendly finish for plywood

Hopefully someone familiar with woodworking can help me out; I have made rocker board toys from plywood for my daughter (aged 2) and potentially to give as a gift for a 1yr old. I want to finish them way that will make it more durable and hopefully seal the ply so it doesn't chip from the edges.

I think a standard clear varnish would do the job but I am in too minds due to toxicity which I assume is mostly during application and drying, but would it remain and be an issue even after drying? My daughter doesn't chew on toys but I don't know about the 1yr old so possibly varnish is a no.

For a natural, non-toxic alternative would shellac followed by beeswax work? Or would this offer little to no protection of the wood? If anyone has tried and tested alternatives I'd like to hear about them.

Comments

• We've used yacht varnish on some woodwork around the lads but plywood is trickier to call.
    Offhand, use the skills & templates on scrap real wood like trimmed floorboards then let rip with oil & wax? Easy to maintain, nontoxic to chew.
  • daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I've finished sanding and it is looking good as is; the edges are much neater than expected. With it being for indoor/garden on dry days I think I will do as you say and go for oil and wax.
  • We've used yacht varnish on some woodwork around the lads but plywood is trickier to call.
    Offhand, use the skills & templates on scrap real wood like trimmed floorboards then let rip with oil & wax? Easy to maintain, nontoxic to chew.

Yacht varnish will be fine with decent ply.

Back a few years ago, most small sailing craft (Mirror anyone??) used large amounts of ply in their construction and were consequently varnished :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure