Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • westy_1981
    • By westy_1981 19th Sep 19, 6:47 PM
    • 71Posts
    • 6Thanks
    westy_1981
    Which balance transfer option is best? Fee or not to Fee . . .
    • 19th Sep 19, 6:47 PM
    Which balance transfer option is best? Fee or not to Fee . . . 19th Sep 19 at 6:47 PM
    Hi, wondering if anyone can help with the following;

Looking to transfer approx. 1k via balance transfer to an existing (dormant) CC that I haven't used in a while.

Transfer options are;

1) 0% interest p.a. over 24 months with a 3% fee

2) 4.9% interest p.a. over 36 months with a 0% fee

3) 0% interest p.a. over 9 months with a 3% fee

What is the best option? I can pay it off with required DD per month at the required amount to complete payment of total balance within the 9 / 24 / 36 month timeframe. . .

Which one will cost the least? or makes the most sense and why? (Calculations would be much appreciated)

Thanks in advance
Page 2
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 19th Sep 19, 8:02 PM
    • 3,882 Posts
    • 2,869 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    Thanks Ben - am I right in thinking that if I take the 0% fee option and 4.9%pa and pay it all off in under 12 months then I wouldn't incur any interest?? Or have I got it wrong?
    Originally posted by westy_1981
    Option 2? You'd pay 4.9% interest from the moment the balance transfer hits the card.

With options 1 and 3, the balance transfer fee is 30 if you transfer 1,000.

With option 2 you'd pay ~26 in interest if you made payments of ~86 a month towards the debt and paid it off over twelve months.

For the sake of a fiver, option 1 might be best because it gives you the opportunity to pay it off over 24 months for 30.

According to What's The Cost:

• Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 19th Sep 19, 8:08 PM
    • 3,613 Posts
    • 2,008 Thanks
    Ben8282
    The problem with option 2 is that there are so many different possibilities depending on how much you pay each month.
    When I said 6-7 months I was assuming a 1% minimum payment (10 per-month) with a lump sum payment at the end.
    The chart above illustrates a different option with a larger monthly repayment.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 19th Sep 19, 8:14 PM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 1,680 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    Glad to see my own spreadsheet is fairly accurate. If I put in 85.56 I get exactly the same result as SnowTiger. 78 per month takes a month or so longer to clear the debt and is almost bang on the 30 break-even point.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,370Posts Today

7,922Users online

Martin's Twitter