Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scorzonthedawes
    • By scorzonthedawes 18th Sep 19, 8:53 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    scorzonthedawes
    Conservatory Warranty Not Honoured
    • 18th Sep 19, 8:53 PM
    Conservatory Warranty Not Honoured 18th Sep 19 at 8:53 PM
    Hi folks, would really appreciate some advice on how to proceed here.

We had a small conservatory built just over 10 years ago by those that "fit the best" - you know who I'm referring to. Warranty was 10 years on build, 10 years on roof glazed units and lifetime on windows and door sealed glazed units.

After about 4 years we started to notice some paint bubbling and within another year or two rusty stains on part of the inside wall. This progressively worsened over the following years, they've visited several times under warranty to fix it, they've tried different things, nothing has resolved it, damp keeps coming back, even coming through the replastering work (within about 4 months of them doing it) that they did a year ago after they thought they had finally fixed it.

We've maintained a constant phone and email dialogue with CustServs in recent years but we've found the engineers they've sent to be shoddy and in some cases untrustworthy. They've told us one story to our faces and then written a report for CustServs that is literally the exact opposite.

We are now out of the warranty period and CustServs are seriously trying to avoid sorting it. We contend with them that this is not about the warranty period because this was flagged years before end of warranty and they have never ever fixed the original problem. Their last word is, it's now only a slight damp patch (after a long hot summer, who knew) and that we should be satisfied with that. No further work required.

BTW early on this year in the spring we found that ants had come through the wall (I proved they hadnt got in elsewhere) and were building a nest in the cavity that had formed behind the replastering work they had done. So is it any wonder that water is getting in there!! They seem completely disinterested in this last fact.

How should we proceed. Is it worth trying to appeal directly to someone high up within their organisation, MD, CEO, but it sounds like a corny move to me? We've requested face to face meetings with senior CustServs folk, but they are not keen. Or is this something that we could approach trading standards or an industry watchdog about? Or are we just heading towards trying to take some form of legal action?

Any thoughts and advice from the wise and sage collective would be most welcome.

Cheers

Graham
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 18th Sep 19, 9:00 PM
    • 4,670 Posts
    • 6,260 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 18th Sep 19, 9:00 PM
    • 18th Sep 19, 9:00 PM
    Hi folks, would really appreciate some advice on how to proceed here.

We had a small conservatory built just over 10 years ago by those that "fit the best" - you know who I'm referring to. Warranty was 10 years on build, 10 years on roof glazed units and lifetime on windows and door sealed glazed units.

After about 4 years we started to notice some paint bubbling and within another year or two rusty stains on part of the inside wall. This progressively worsened over the following years, they've visited several times under warranty to fix it, they've tried different things, nothing has resolved it, damp keeps coming back, even coming through the replastering work (within about 4 months of them doing it) that they did a year ago after they thought they had finally fixed it.

We've maintained a constant phone and email dialogue with CustServs in recent years but we've found the engineers they've sent to be shoddy and in some cases untrustworthy. They've told us one story to our faces and then written a report for CustServs that is literally the exact opposite.

We are now out of the warranty period and CustServs are seriously trying to avoid sorting it. We contend with them that this is not about the warranty period because this was flagged years before end of warranty and they have never ever fixed the original problem. Their last word is, it's now only a slight damp patch (after a long hot summer, who knew) and that we should be satisfied with that. No further work required.

BTW early on this year in the spring we found that ants had come through the wall (I proved they hadnt got in elsewhere) and were building a nest in the cavity that had formed behind the replastering work they had done. So is it any wonder that water is getting in there!! They seem completely disinterested in this last fact.

How should we proceed. Is it worth trying to appeal directly to someone high up within their organisation, MD, CEO, but it sounds like a corny move to me? We've requested face to face meetings with senior CustServs folk, but they are not keen. Or is this something that we could approach trading standards or an industry watchdog about? Or are we just heading towards trying to take some form of legal action?

Any thoughts and advice from the wise and sage collective would be most welcome.

Cheers

Graham
    Originally posted by scorzonthedawes
    After over 10 years I don't think you'll get anywhere. As you are discovering, conservatories are cheap, medium-term temporary structures built by a trade that isn't regulated and is arguably staffed by some people not capable of proper building work. As you don't trust their tradesmen, I suggest getting a decent handyman in to fix the problems then sending Everest a letter asking them to reimburse the costs. If they don't do so (I expect they won't), you could try taking them to court but I don't expect you to win.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 18th Sep 19, 9:18 PM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 2,494 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 18th Sep 19, 9:18 PM
    • 18th Sep 19, 9:18 PM
    If you're in England, Wales or NI, then the Limitations Act applies after 6 years, which means there's nothing you can do legally to enforce any claim.

In Scotland, it's 5 years from when you knew there was a problem.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 19th Sep 19, 12:00 AM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 4,035 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 19th Sep 19, 12:00 AM
    • 19th Sep 19, 12:00 AM
    If you're in England, Wales or NI, then the Limitations Act applies after 6 years, which means there's nothing you can do legally to enforce any claim.
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    That is six years from the point that the problem was raised, so there is another two years before time runs out. But these companies have a huge legal department and a correspondingly large budget to fight any claim.

By the sounds of it, water is getting in behind the plaster (faulty flashing perhaps) and causing mild steel fixings or plaster beadings to rust. The solution is to identify the soucre of the damp, fix it, then remove any rusting fixings/beads and replaster. The fixings should be replaced with stainless steel, and plastic beads used.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Frank99
    • By Frank99 19th Sep 19, 5:01 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Frank99
    • 19th Sep 19, 5:01 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 5:01 PM
    Check if the Company has any social media pages and if so vent your concerns on the comments sections of their posts, anything that potential customers can see forces them to act quickly to finding a solution (shutting you up).
    Failing this i would leave some negative reviews!
    Enjoy everyday like it's your last!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

667Posts Today

6,167Users online

Martin's Twitter