Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jen.
    • By Jen. 13th Sep 19, 10:37 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Jen.
    AMOMA.com Closure and Upcoming Bookings
    • 13th Sep 19, 10:37 PM
    AMOMA.com Closure and Upcoming Bookings 13th Sep 19 at 10:37 PM
    Today I received the following email from AMOMA.com
    “Cease trading notification

Your booking will probably be cancelled by our suppliers.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Dear Clients,

Since its creation, AMOMA has always strived, with success, to find the best value for money for its customers.

Entities that claim to act as "price comparators" are, in effect, media agencies that redirect consumers to entities like ours against paying a cost per click. These media agencies are sometimes owned by companies operating in the same segment as ours, which has a negative impact on free competition. They are currently in a dominant position in the market and we think that this is to the detriment of the end consumers. Indeed, having taken the place that is theirs today, these entities unilaterally impose unsustainable financial conditions for us, because we work at the fair price to benefit our customers, not to benefit these media agencies.

The result is a market concentration in which only a very small circle of majors Online Travel Agencies can survive. You probably also know that the public authorities are currently opening investigation procedures against these entities, notably in Australia, Spain - and most recently, as reported in the press, in the United States.

However, these commercial practices that are unilaterally imposed on us make the continuation of our activities impossible. We therefore regret to have to inform you of the cessation of our activities, with immediate effect.

For those who have booked rooms via our website:
    Contact the reserved hotel to inquire about the provision of the service.
    Contact your payment institution or your travel insurance.
    While we regret to have to announce the above, we send you, Ladies and Gentlemen, Dear Clients, our best regards. “
    In April this year, I made a booking for the Hilton Leeds for 2 nights in December. This booking was paid in full at the time £144.
    I have already contacted the hotel to confirm if the booking has been cancelled, if it has - how do I go about getting this money refunded? I guess AMOMA won’t be refunding me... I paid using my Capital One credit card, am I likely to receive a refund from them?
Page 3
    • Ladley
    • By Ladley 14th Sep 19, 5:09 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Ladley
    We booked a hotel in July for Phuket for 5 nights. The only one not booked through hotels.com.

Hotel say reservation is there but emailed twice on email and still nothing. Tried to ring but time difference and lack of English is hindering at the moment. Just hope travel insurance/CC will sort.

Stuck as rooms might book up yet don't want to pay twice and lost money we have already spent!
    • Nicole62
    • By Nicole62 14th Sep 19, 5:26 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nicole62
    I am have booked 5 nights in Barcelona in October with AMOMA.....I emailed the hotel direct this morning.

I’m now on my 4th email to them with a simple question.....is my room PAID or not? All I’m getting is “your reservation is still active”......which I think means NO, they have not received my money and they’re telling me to check in a day or two before I fly.....as if!!! I feel I’m in no mans land.....will VISA credit card refund me for this ?

Derek
    Originally posted by Derekon

I have asked our hotel the same question and they basically said that they didn't receive any money. If we had showed up, and Amoma wouldn't have ceased trading, that's when the hotel gets their money so it's fair to assume that, even though Amoma has our money, they didn't pay the hotels. It's infuriating.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 14th Sep 19, 5:29 PM
    • 4,177 Posts
    • 5,193 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    if the company has ceased trading , how come they are (24 hrs later) contacting hotels and cancelling bookings
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 14th Sep 19, 5:34 PM
    • 3,871 Posts
    • 2,536 Thanks
    glider3560
    if the company has ceased trading , how come they are (24 hrs later) contacting hotels and cancelling bookings
    Originally posted by twhitehousescat
    The hotel booking industry is quite complex, with multiple intermediaries on many bookings. Some of these intermediaries probably haven't been paid yet (and don't expect to be paid) so will cancel the bookings.

• bobcardwell
    • By bobcardwell 14th Sep 19, 5:45 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bobcardwell
    Contacted the apartments and have just received a reply. They know about Amoma going bust but havent heard directly from them. They dont receive payment in advance but they dont know if Amoma have paid their suppliers. Will let me know when they hear something. I want to book something else but cant be sure that my Amoma booking will definitely be cancelled. I paid with a crdit card thanfully, so I should get my money back....
    • born again
    • By born again 14th Sep 19, 6:33 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    born again
    Should they be thinking of people they don't know losing their jobs or worrying about where they're getting the money from to sleep tonight in another country??
    Originally posted by emmamcm1
    Would rather be stuck away. And have been back when Clarkson went bust in 1974. Not so easy to sort things out than as it is now.
    If you have so little money that you can't afford a delay, then should you be going?

Thankfully now there are good systems in the banking sector to sort these issues out.
    • Jossie1711
    • By Jossie1711 14th Sep 19, 8:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jossie1711
    Me too - and the hotel isn't answering the phone
    I booked a 4 night stay with the Titanic Chaussee Berlin Hotel beginning 27th September. I too got the Amoma email today and have tried to call the hotel and they are not picking up the phone. I have emailed the hotel too and yet to get an answer. So I'm totally in the dark. Shame on Amoma and baffled by this so called 4 star hotel. My bank have opened a dispute so hoping to get refunded via this route.
    • C_Daydreamer
    • By C_Daydreamer 14th Sep 19, 8:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    C_Daydreamer
    I got the same email
    I want to cry. I paid for a 4 night's stay at a hotel through Amoma costing in total £316. All on my Visa Debit card.
    We rung up the hotel and asked if our booking is still there and they said there's been a lot of cancellations through Amoma but our booking now still there at the moment.
    They also said as there's a delay in cancellations over the weekend to call them back during the week to check back in.
    I feel physically sick. I'm never booking through a third party website again.

I don't know what or if I can even do anything as I paid with a debit card for the entire amount.
    Help please!
    • BettyJohn
    • By BettyJohn 14th Sep 19, 8:45 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BettyJohn
    I also paid for the whole amount by debit card aswell! Hopefully something can be looked into by either the bank or travel insurance
    • Dannyj778
    • By Dannyj778 14th Sep 19, 9:24 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dannyj778
    Similar position
    I have contacted my hotel and they have me confirmed that my booking is still fine. They told me that they usually receive payment after check out however. So where is my money?
    I can't help but feel the hotel is rather unlikely to receive money from Amoma.

And I paid in a debit card. Is there any protection with this?
    • Dannyj778
    • By Dannyj778 14th Sep 19, 9:31 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dannyj778
    Debit card
    I believe most debit cards have some similar types of protection to a credit card, however I've never had to use it. I have contacted NatWest Bank today about this issue and they've asked me to contact Amoma. If they (Amoma) confirm that our money is as good as gone, then the bank can start proceedings to Reclaim the money.
    I think. If we hear nothing, then I guess I can start proceedings too
    • Nicole62
    • By Nicole62 14th Sep 19, 9:41 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nicole62
    I believe most debit cards have some similar types of protection to a credit card, however I've never had to use it. I have contacted NatWest Bank today about this issue and they've asked me to contact Amoma. If they (Amoma) confirm that our money is as good as gone, then the bank can start proceedings to Reclaim the money.
    I think. If we hear nothing, then I guess I can start proceedings too
    Originally posted by Dannyj778

How can you contact Amoma? There's nobody there anymore, no contact number, nothing. They don't want to know.
    Read what iwagarc posted. You need to get the hotel to send you the cancellation of your reservation and then you can contact the bank.
    I also wonder about hotels who say that the reservation is fine. Have they really received the money?? I seriously doubt it as Amoma didn't pay in advance, that's for sure.
    • Jorge189
    • By Jorge189 14th Sep 19, 10:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jorge189
    yes
    Those two work together , the money would go to Amoma and than to Hotelbeds . They are partners .
    So I do not sugest doing the transaction , it may get stuck with Amoma .
    • nilsrune
    • By nilsrune 14th Sep 19, 11:00 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nilsrune
    Fraud?
    I think Amoma should be investigated for suspected fraud. Charging us knowing the hotels won't be honoring the vouchers isn't a proper way to conduct business.
    • melpaulned
    • By melpaulned 15th Sep 19, 3:05 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    melpaulned
    Hi all. Same boat here, booked in Feb for accommodation in Tokyo in December. Paid $1400 in full.
    Hotel still has our booking (so far) but it's not been paid. They are paid by the supplier. I'm 99.9% sure it will be cancelled. I'm going to wait a couple of days and see what happens then I'll have to rebook with a cancellation clause in place (just until they cancel it). I'm waiting to hear from my credit card company.
    • Shawbee
    • By Shawbee 15th Sep 19, 8:02 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Shawbee
    I've booked a hotel for 7 nights in phuket in december - hotel says booking is confirmed/paid for but i only booked it 2 weeks ago. It doesn't feel quite right, maybe if i booked months ago i would believe that the hotel was paid for, but i have a feeling it could be cancelled during the week.

Booked with Amex - but not sure if they will cover it. Not too sure whether to open a merchant dispute or just believe that the payment went through?

Very deflating. I booked every other hotel directly with the hotel, except this one! £900 is so much money to lose..
    • Shawbee
    • By Shawbee 15th Sep 19, 8:07 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Shawbee
    Got the same email. Had booked jw marriot in dubai for next month. Called them directly and they said booking is valid and i dont have to pay. I wonder if it stays this way a few days down
    Originally posted by htariq
    Would you be able to keep us updated? I'm afraid this might happen to me as well
    • Ladley
    • By Ladley 15th Sep 19, 8:43 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Ladley
    Is there light at the end of the tunnel?
    So slight update

We booked our hotel in Thailand back in July for November. Mrs booked on her CC with Lloyds.

Hotel just say confirmation, kept asking us to go to travel agent and they couldn't understand it doesn't exist anymore. won't say if they have money or not.

Lloyds have started Section 75 (10-15 working days) and today they have started a chargeback (7-10 working days)

They have been really good and say we don't have to contact anyone, even the hotel. Just hope they don't booked up in the next week or 2 as all our transfers are from there!
    • Jane10289
    • By Jane10289 15th Sep 19, 11:11 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jane10289
    My reservation has not been cancelled yet, should I re book anyway? I’m afraid of the price raising!
    • nilsrune
    • By nilsrune 15th Sep 19, 12:11 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nilsrune
    Refund from Norwegian
    Since I paid Amoma with my Norwegian card I have opened a recovery case with them. I also bought the air ticket from Norwegian, but I don't think they will be willing to refund that?
    Anyone familiar with Norwegian's policy?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,228Posts Today

6,886Users online

Martin's Twitter