Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jen.
    • By Jen. 13th Sep 19, 10:37 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Jen.
    AMOMA.com Closure and Upcoming Bookings
    • 13th Sep 19, 10:37 PM
    AMOMA.com Closure and Upcoming Bookings 13th Sep 19 at 10:37 PM
    Today I received the following email from AMOMA.com
    ďCease trading notification

Your booking will probably be cancelled by our suppliers.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Dear Clients,

Since its creation, AMOMA has always strived, with success, to find the best value for money for its customers.

Entities that claim to act as "price comparators" are, in effect, media agencies that redirect consumers to entities like ours against paying a cost per click. These media agencies are sometimes owned by companies operating in the same segment as ours, which has a negative impact on free competition. They are currently in a dominant position in the market and we think that this is to the detriment of the end consumers. Indeed, having taken the place that is theirs today, these entities unilaterally impose unsustainable financial conditions for us, because we work at the fair price to benefit our customers, not to benefit these media agencies.

The result is a market concentration in which only a very small circle of majors Online Travel Agencies can survive. You probably also know that the public authorities are currently opening investigation procedures against these entities, notably in Australia, Spain - and most recently, as reported in the press, in the United States.

However, these commercial practices that are unilaterally imposed on us make the continuation of our activities impossible. We therefore regret to have to inform you of the cessation of our activities, with immediate effect.

For those who have booked rooms via our website:
    Contact the reserved hotel to inquire about the provision of the service.
    Contact your payment institution or your travel insurance.
    While we regret to have to announce the above, we send you, Ladies and Gentlemen, Dear Clients, our best regards. ď
    In April this year, I made a booking for the Hilton Leeds for 2 nights in December. This booking was paid in full at the time £144.
    I have already contacted the hotel to confirm if the booking has been cancelled, if it has - how do I go about getting this money refunded? I guess AMOMA wonít be refunding me... I paid using my Capital One credit card, am I likely to receive a refund from them?
Page 2
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 14th Sep 19, 9:16 AM
    • 3,871 Posts
    • 2,538 Thanks
    glider3560
    This is a bit worrying on the CC front. I assume Amoma is a travel agent ?

Santander T&Cs

You paid the supplier of the goods or services directly using your credit card (Note Ė if you paid a third party such as a travel agent, PayPal or Amazon Marketplace then you may not have section 75 protection)
    Originally posted by Yoshino1
    The service you contracted Amoma to do was book you a room at Hotel X. They failed to do that, so Section 75 applies.

Where it wouldn't apply, for example, is if the hotel went bust having booked through Amoma. Since your contract is with Amoma and not the hotel, Section 75 wouldn't cover this scenario.

• Yoshino1
    • By Yoshino1 14th Sep 19, 9:19 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Yoshino1
    Thanks, I have started the section 75 process so will need to wait and see what happens. They didn’t offer the option of requesting a chargeback when I asked.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 14th Sep 19, 9:21 AM
    • 3,871 Posts
    • 2,538 Thanks
    glider3560
    Thanks, I have started the section 75 process so will need to wait and see what happens. They didnít offer the option of requesting a chargeback when I asked.
    Section 75 also allows you to claim for additional costs, e.g. if the hotel is more expensive to book through another website, you can claim that too.

• eco_warrior
    • By eco_warrior 14th Sep 19, 9:31 AM
    • 515 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    eco_warrior
    Thanks, I have started the section 75 process so will need to wait and see what happens. They didnít offer the option of requesting a chargeback when I asked.
    It might just be how they work. Chargebacks, Section 75 and even some fraud cases are very similar and can be looked at in different ways. Main thing is to submit the claim.
    • Saff4
    • By Saff4 14th Sep 19, 9:56 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Saff4
    Help!
    We booked a hotel through Amoma 2 weeks ago for Bologna 27-30 Sept.
    Last night we received an email from Amoma informing us they have shut down with immediate effect. They are not offering refunds to anyone.
    We have contacted the hotel in Bologna and they have said Amoma have cancelled our booking.

We took out annual travel insurance with Admiral on Monday (5 days ago) however, we didn t set it to kick in until the day before we fly to Bologna (26th).

Amoma have kept £273 of our money and we have no idea what to do! We ve never been in this situation before.

Is it worth us contacting Admiral travel insurance even though our insurance doesn t kick in until the day before we fly?

I contacted Barclays (my bank) last night but because I paid on a debit card, I don't know if they are able to help me.
    • nilsrune
    • By nilsrune 14th Sep 19, 10:10 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nilsrune
    Amoma bankruptcy
    After receiving the e-mail from Amoma I immediately contacted the hotel, only to find out that it is closed and won't open until Dec 6. I've also bought air ticket, ski rental and transfer paid with different cards. I'm in a limbo situation, not knowing if the hotel will honor the booking or not.
    • iwaqarc
    • By iwaqarc 14th Sep 19, 10:19 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    iwaqarc
    Good morning all,

I'd just like to tell everyone that the best and only thing you can do is to call your bank.
    My wife woke me up at 0430 as she received an email from amoma.com saying that they've ceased trading. Instant worry regarding Hotel booking that was for next week and then all morning calling turkey and hotel to find out if booking was confirmed or not.

Net result
    Turkey confirmed no booking was made
    So what you need to do is to get an email confirmation from the hotel that there is no reservation.
    Then you need to call your bank and they will use that email from your hotel, as proof to then open a case.
    My wife was on the phone to Lloyds and during our call, more people started calling up with the same problem.
    You need to speak to the Dispute team at your bank.
    Eventually - we've got our money back, my wife spoke to someone called Dawn (she was amazing, really sympathetic and super helpful).

So, my wife has her money back
    Only condition now is that if Amoma.com do give my wife her money then the bank will take back the money they gave back to her (otherwise you've got the same money twice).

So now - I thought I'd post this to help others, so I can now take a shower, have breakfast and take the family out after our very stressful morning.

BTW, I did learn however that if you booked using a credit card then under Section 75 you can claim back your money quicker (less hassle), my wife used her debit card - hence a little more effort.

Out of interest, Amoma.com is registered in Switzerland

Hope this post helps you all
    • Jackcaerphilky
    • By Jackcaerphilky 14th Sep 19, 11:08 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jackcaerphilky
    Amoma
    booked hotel in July (found deal on Trivago) for next week. Got the Amoma email yesterday so checked with the hotel, no booking.... Called Barclays as I paid on my credit card and they say I have to get Trivago to sort it out and if they won't sort it Barclays will help but only if I have an email from Trivago explaining why they won't. Not happy £771.00 down the plughole. Thought I was safe going through Trivago, shouldn't they vet the companies they promote on their website??? Won't ever use them again and will be making sure no one I know uses them either.
    • Yoshino1
    • By Yoshino1 14th Sep 19, 11:26 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Yoshino1
    I think the Trivago bit is a red hearing. You booked through Amoma so you donít need anything from trivago as they are not part of the contract. You wonít get anything from amaoma as they are now gone so iíd Suggest getting conformation from the hotel showing the room is cancelled. Send this along with a screenshot of the Amoma website showing itís closed down along with a short description of the problem and that should do the trick.
    • moe1416
    • By moe1416 14th Sep 19, 11:27 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    moe1416
    Amoma
    I have booked three room is antalya for me and for a friends. we are 9 persons and the total amount is 3500$!! you would imagine my situation right now.
    I have contact the hotel before getting the email. the said two rooms were confirmed and one is still not. when i called today they told me the two room that they were confirmed are not now! they were cancelled today morning. the other one that was not confirmed is confirm now !!
    what a situation Im in right now!! even this room might be cancelled anytime IDK!!
    forgot to mentioned that my trip is a multi city and i dont know what to do since my booking is on Sep.16 so I dont have that much time
    • Jackcaerphilky
    • By Jackcaerphilky 14th Sep 19, 11:31 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jackcaerphilky
    I'll give it a go... Ta...
    • Ejwijnhoven
    • By Ejwijnhoven 14th Sep 19, 1:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ejwijnhoven
    Hi,

We're already on holiday & recieved the same email last night.. we panicked & confirmed with the hotel we were moving on to & they responded that we were still booked in! However, after 3hrs of traveling we get there to find it had been cancelled today!!! Luckily they still had our room available so we took that @ a cost 😭😭😭😭
    • BettyJohn
    • By BettyJohn 14th Sep 19, 1:50 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BettyJohn
    I got the same email. I have a hotel booked in london on Oct 11 for 3 nights and when i booked i got a confirmation with a voucher i can access to print and it says in black and white that the hotel has been paid for. Still worried but dont see how they can refuse when it states i have paid. I rang hotel who says its on their system but not sure if i should still be worrying.
    • Nicole62
    • By Nicole62 14th Sep 19, 2:08 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nicole62
    I received the same email last night at 11pm. Our holiday is on the 24th of September. I contacted the hotel and they emailed me back saying the room had been cancelled in the morning. The hotel offered me the room but for their rates of £2000 for a week. No thanks.

I've rung Virgin Credit Cards and they have started a dispute to claim the money back. I hope that will be successful as I've paid Amoma £749.
    What I do find worrying is that I have read my annual Travel Insurance with Puffin, and it states that they won't refund any cancellations through a travel company. <cancellation is not because of the failure of your travel agent, tour operator or due to the advice of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.>> Amoma is a travel agent so hopefully Virgin CC will come through.
    We have booked another hotel as we bought our flight tickets etc. separately.
    • Nicole62
    • By Nicole62 14th Sep 19, 2:10 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nicole62
    I got the same email. I have a hotel booked in london on Oct 11 for 3 nights and when i booked i got a confirmation with a voucher i can access to print and it says in black and white that the hotel has been paid for. Still worried but dont see how they can refuse when it states i have paid. I rang hotel who says its on their system but not sure if i should still be worrying.
    Originally posted by BettyJohn

I think everybody who booked with Amoma got a confirmation and a voucher that they had paid. It's worth nothing. Amoma had cancelled our hotelroom already so you better check whether your room is still reserved and then pay whatever they charge.
    • Derekon
    • By Derekon 14th Sep 19, 2:23 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Derekon
    I am have booked 5 nights in Barcelona in October with AMOMA.....I emailed the hotel direct this morning.

Iím now on my 4th email to them with a simple question.....is my room PAID or not? All Iím getting is ďyour reservation is still activeĒ......which I think means NO, they have not received my money and theyíre telling me to check in a day or two before I fly.....as if!!! I feel Iím in no mans land.....will VISA credit card refund me for this ?

Derek
    • DocSausage
    • By DocSausage 14th Sep 19, 2:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DocSausage
    I've had a nagging feeling of impending doom about Amoma since I booked our hotel for Oktoberfest about 10 months ago.
    I got onto the web as soon as I got the email last night and managed to rebook at not too much more. I've not had a reply from the original hotel but I expect the worst.
    The only silver lining is knowing I was right all along but that's not much consolation.
    • born again
    • By born again 14th Sep 19, 2:42 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    born again
    I only paid the balance last week so raging I didn't hear anything sooner or I would've cancelled and only lost their £80 deposit instead of £900!!😠
    Originally posted by emmamcm1
    Do you think that the company know that they will be going under and want the public to know.... While they are trying to save the company?
    They will be doing their best to resolve the issue and keep trading.

Their staff will not have any idea what is going on. They are the one's I feel sorry for as they have lost their jobs and income. No refunds for them...

Your booking will be covered by Visa/Mastercard chargeback. Amex will have a way of dealing as well, but I have no idea on their procedure.
    All you need to do is contact your card provider and they will advise what you need to do to get a refund.
    The fact they have no money makes no difference to customers getting their money back.
    • emmamcm1
    • By emmamcm1 14th Sep 19, 3:33 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    emmamcm1
    What I meant was that if they had gone under last week I wouldn't have had to pay the balance. I know they're not going to give any clues. As I said it wasn't booked for me either plus it was booked by debit card not credit card so I'm sorry if I'm angry about it and not exactly thinking of the staff. I've been reading about families left stranded on holiday as their hotels cancelled. Should they be thinking of people they don't know losing their jobs or worrying about where they're getting the money from to sleep tonight in another country??
    • Sue5M
    • By Sue5M 14th Sep 19, 3:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sue5M
    Hotel say booking is paid for
    Got the same email last night. My booking was made on 8/9 for 8/10. I phoned the hotel this morning, they said booking had been made and paid for. Think I may email them and ask them to notify me if Amoma cancel the booking.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,997Posts Today

8,068Users online

Martin's Twitter