Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dexterlivi
    • By dexterlivi 1st Sep 19, 8:45 PM
    • 63Posts
    • 9Thanks
    dexterlivi
    Is there anything positive about Virgin Media
    • 1st Sep 19, 8:45 PM
    Is there anything positive about Virgin Media 1st Sep 19 at 8:45 PM
    My Talk Talk contract is close to finishing and I have been looking at other providers, Was interested in Virgin media until I saw the recent reviews on one of the well known review sites. 1 star rating out of 5. Does anyone have anything more positive to say to try and redress the balance before I change provider
Page 1
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 2nd Sep 19, 4:19 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,071 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 2nd Sep 19, 4:19 AM
    • 2nd Sep 19, 4:19 AM
    The majority of people are happy enough. Ive only ever had one outage that lasted a day and a half in the last 10 years. The rest of the time it's very reliable.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • prowla
    • By prowla 2nd Sep 19, 5:26 AM
    • 10,641 Posts
    • 9,511 Thanks
    prowla
    • 2nd Sep 19, 5:26 AM
    • 2nd Sep 19, 5:26 AM
    At risk of tempting fate, my experience over several years as a customer is that Virgin broadband is excellent.

They do make me have a phone line too. (When I say "make me" I mean it's cheaper to have BB with their phone line than without, though I never use the phone.)
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 2nd Sep 19, 8:15 AM
    • 4,607 Posts
    • 2,686 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 2nd Sep 19, 8:15 AM
    • 2nd Sep 19, 8:15 AM
    If it works it's fine, unfortunately when it doesn't work then good luck with their foreign call centres who are truly poor.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 2nd Sep 19, 11:16 AM
    • 3,986 Posts
    • 1,162 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 2nd Sep 19, 11:16 AM
    • 2nd Sep 19, 11:16 AM
    generally techically/speed they are good (unless in a congested area).

It's the price, and sticking to price agreements which is poor
    • cranford
    • By cranford 4th Sep 19, 7:56 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    cranford
    • 4th Sep 19, 7:56 AM
    • 4th Sep 19, 7:56 AM
    Been with VM for 7 years now with normally excellent service.
    No charges or threats of charges for fixing problems. Only had one problem when BB speed went down to 50mbps and modem was replaced. Had the occasional outage when normally they let you know in advance that they are upgrading.
    Currently get about 450mbps wireless on a 500mbps package.
    On a Special offer for 1 yr contract of £99 a month but it will go up to £140 if I don't try to get a reduction.
    Two V6 boxes (can view either box recorded content), Sky HD Sport, Sky Cinema, BT Sport (one channel in 4k), loads of other channels, landline phone unlimited (1hr per call) and a VM mobile sim (on EE) which has no data, call or text limits.
    • dexterlivi
    • By dexterlivi 4th Sep 19, 5:28 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    dexterlivi
    • 4th Sep 19, 5:28 PM
    • 4th Sep 19, 5:28 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Always good to get a more balanced viewpoint.
    • captaincork
    • By captaincork 15th Sep 19, 4:08 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    captaincork
    • 15th Sep 19, 4:08 PM
    • 15th Sep 19, 4:08 PM
    I was with them for years. The trouble starts when older parts of the network become too crowded or start to deteriorate . It starts with frequent drop outs, your fault reports are ignored, staff are rude and abusive. This seems deliberate to just get you to go away. Often they just hang up. Very poor customer service.
    If you do change, keep a close eye on your bills, when things start failing make plans to move as you will never get any improvement. Remember it is not actually Virgin Media but Liberty Global ,a huge greed driven American multi national company with all that entails for the hapless customer.
    Those reports on trustpilot are genuine angry and abused customers so be aware.
    • DaveBullock_
    • By DaveBullock_ 16th Sep 19, 3:22 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    DaveBullock_
    • 16th Sep 19, 3:22 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 3:22 PM
    I am currently with Virgin Media and they have been excellent! Setting up was a bit of a hassle but was expected due to having to wait for it to be installed but since its been installed we haven't had issues. fairly cheap and very quick! superb.
    • metrobus
    • By metrobus 18th Sep 19, 7:03 AM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 773 Thanks
    metrobus
    Service was good but the twice yearly price increase of 10% a time is disgusting.
    Yes, you can keep phoning and threaten to leave to keep the price down a bit but I got feed up with this constant battle and just left in the end.
    They know so many will forget or not bother about the constant price increases.
    • Wellard Mann
    • By Wellard Mann 18th Sep 19, 9:23 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Wellard Mann
    Iíve been with Virgin for many years and find the broadband service reliable, with only a few outages in that time. Itís expensive Ė I recently cancelled the TV subscription and now only have the broadband and landline Ė with frequent price increases. Dealing with their call centre is very wearing and time consuming but thatís typical of any service provider in any sector as far as I can make out.

I doubt I could get a more reliable or faster connection from any of their competitors. The only realistic option for me is BT FTTP, which is being rolled out in the area, but I probably wonít switch. I donít really need the speed boost as I only do web browsing and stream NOW TV, both of which work fine. Besides, switching from Virgin to Openreach is a bit of a hassle, I doubt BT service is any better and I doubt there will be any difference in price in the medium term.
    • hareng
    • By hareng 18th Sep 19, 6:43 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    hareng
    Check local area before signing up.
    Some areas it seems good, others not so well. Round here know of 3 outages within 1 1/2 weeks several hours on end, seems quite regular.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,795Posts Today

8,126Users online

Martin's Twitter