Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Eyes1000
    • By Eyes1000 1st Sep 19, 6:20 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Eyes1000
    Help, heating confusion!
    • 1st Sep 19, 6:20 PM
    Help, heating confusion! 1st Sep 19 at 6:20 PM
    Hi there,
    Iím a complete newbie to writing on the forum (but have read a lot of really useful threads over the years).

Iím buying a fairly small 1 bedroom cottage (middle of three cottages in a row).

There is no gas in the village and currently the cottage has Dimplex storage heaters in the living room and bedroom, an electric radiator in the kirchen and a radiator towel warmer thing in the bathroom. It has an immersion tank for water and is double glazed.

To work out if I can basically leave things as they are (maybe add in a pellet stove to the living room for cosiness in the winter) or whether I should make some or lots of changes, I have researched the storage heaters, lpg, heat pumps, solar panels, biomass pellet stoves and boilers, electric combi boilers etc and I am totally lost.

Obviously there are pros and cons to everything plus there are lots of vastly different opinions out there (some say storage fine, others say its awful and so on - with every option)

From what Iíve read, the cottage is too small for a heat pump - and Iím not sure I can afford to have a biomass boiler and radiator system as well as a stove...plus I am not sure whether it would be overkill for one person....the Renewable Heating Incentive appeals though...

Mon to Fri - I will be out of the house 3 days a week, working from home 2 days a week.
    And I should add that I like warmth so will need heat in the mornings, evenings/nights and during days I am at home (when it isnít summer). I think this mixed bag in terms of when Iím in and not might mean I donít fit into economy 7 or standard!

Sorry for such a long post but can anyone help?? I could really do with some sound advice

Thanks in advance!
    Elle
Page 2
    • jk0
    • By jk0 2nd Sep 19, 12:26 PM
    • 3,181 Posts
    • 26,905 Thanks
    jk0
    Save yourself a bit of aggro by just using the top-up part of the bedroom duoheat, rather than remove it and have to redecorate?
    • Eyes1000
    • By Eyes1000 2nd Sep 19, 5:54 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Eyes1000
    Hi all - this is amazing - thank you so much for all your ongoing advice....

Freebear - thats really useful intel about both, the price of pellets and in terms of storage...clearly have underestimated the amount of space I would need. Guess that means multi-fuel of any sort is out for me which leaves me with electric...the property already has double glazing so will check the loft re insulation to try and limit the amouunt that is lost...although I have also read that you need to let these old places Ďbreatheí but not over-sealing them?

FrugalMacdugal - thanks very for the name of the heater for the bathroom. The one in the bedroom is way too wide to fit in there so this size would be ideal. The same storage heater is already in the sitting room so the bedroom one would be wasted if I took it out, which seems a shame and Iíd hate to chuck something that still works...so maybe I should live with it - and maybe keeping leaving it on the lowest setting during the day - even if i am not in the room - would mean the house isnít constantly going back to zero before starting to reheat again from scratch...wdyt?

EnerdyRookie - thanks v much for your thoughts - yes I think youíre right about reading on the internet - so much contradictory info that you can go a bit loopy...and much of it just personal opinions. I have no reason to think the current heating was problematic for the elderly lady who lived there (newish storage heaters, newish double glazing and newish carpets by looks of it) itís just that lots of places say electric is super expensive (and Iíve no idea if the £100 per month the last owner paid for electric in total (lighting, heating and hot water) was from her using it a lot all day every day, or being frugal....plus am keen to be as eco-friendly as I can afford...

Coffeehound - thank you! itís really reassuring to know these are decent storage heaters - same with silver coloured immersion tank....I had no idea about this sort of thing (I fear I know nothing! )

ó thank you all again! without sounding melodramatic, it is pretty daunting / scary doing all this on my own so itís so lovely to get support, especially from strangers ó which always restores faith in the human race
    • Eyes1000
    • By Eyes1000 2nd Sep 19, 5:58 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Eyes1000
    Hi jko, thanks v much for this - am probably being very slow here ó but do you mean thereís a top-up heat setting on these storage heaters?
    • jk0
    • By jk0 2nd Sep 19, 7:16 PM
    • 3,181 Posts
    • 26,905 Thanks
    jk0
    Hi jko, thanks v much for this - am probably being very slow here — but do you mean there’s a top-up heat setting on these storage heaters?
    Originally posted by Eyes1000

Yeah. The duoheat has two leads. One is energised overnight, and is connected to elements inside the bricks. The other goes to a thin panel heater on the front of the heater. Switch off the overnight circuit, and the thing will just act as a panel heater.

FTA: You could even leave the night heater on very low to kick in when it's very cold.
    Last edited by jk0; 02-09-2019 at 7:21 PM.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 3rd Sep 19, 4:24 AM
    • 6,782 Posts
    • 5,775 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

I was thinking if you were removing heater from bedroom you could get it fitted in living room to supplement existing heater, seems a pity to just dump it.
    Y'all take care now.
    • Eyes1000
    • By Eyes1000 3rd Sep 19, 7:46 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Eyes1000
    Hi Frugalmacdugal - oh I see, you mean have two storage heaters in the sitting room. Yes that would be a good idea but the sitting room (whole house) is small, with currenrly only two walls where you could put anything against it (sideboard/sofa) and from what I understand, you need more distance around a storage heater than a usual radiator so should really have things in front of it...(I think!)
    • Eyes1000
    • By Eyes1000 3rd Sep 19, 7:50 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Eyes1000
    Aha, thanks jk0! Thatís really useful to know, brilliant (and of course, Ďduoí heat
    - and when you say I could even leave the night heater on v low, would that affect the input charge itís getting overnight?
    • Eyes1000
    • By Eyes1000 3rd Sep 19, 7:53 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Eyes1000
    And out of interest, does anyone have any experience with the new-ish electric combi boilers? I will keep the immersion tank and most of what’s there for this winter, as you all quite rightly suggest, to see the lie of the land but I had wondered about one of these as a possible alternative to immersion....purely because it heats what you need - rather then a whole tank (most of which will go cold on the days I am not in) - but as the technology seems new am not sure if there are good or not..
    • jk0
    • By jk0 3rd Sep 19, 9:25 AM
    • 3,181 Posts
    • 26,905 Thanks
    jk0
    Aha, thanks jk0! Thatís really useful to know, brilliant (and of course, Ďduoí heat
    - and when you say I could even leave the night heater on v low, would that affect the input charge itís getting overnight?

The overnight charge is what I suggested leaving on low. There is jumper to remove inside the heater that will allow the direct heater to continue for a few hours after the night heater starts charging.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 3rd Sep 19, 9:32 AM
    • 3,181 Posts
    • 26,905 Thanks
    jk0
    And out of interest, does anyone have any experience with the new-ish electric combi boilers? I will keep the immersion tank and most of whatís there for this winter, as you all quite rightly suggest, to see the lie of the land but I had wondered about one of these as a possible alternative to immersion....purely because it heats what you need - rather then a whole tank (most of which will go cold on the days I am not in) - but as the technology seems new am not sure if there are good or not..

You don't want an electric combi. You'll have to run it on full price electricity. Stick to what you have, IIWY.
    • Eyes1000
    • By Eyes1000 4th Sep 19, 7:28 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Eyes1000
    Thanks v much jk0 ! Fantastically helpful ��
    • Novice investor101
    • By Novice investor101 7th Sep 19, 11:46 AM
    • 502 Posts
    • 1,448 Thanks
    Novice investor101
    I have gas CH but when I changed the bathroom radiator to a towel warmer & found the bathroom was too cold in the morning (heating only comes on for an hour to take the chill off the house before I leave for work) I used to plug a 2kw fan heater into the wall outside the bathroom & put the heater in the bathroom for 15mins, then take it out again before I had a shower. Warmed the bathroom up lovely & I only needed to do it on the coldest mornings.
    In the end I put a proper radiator back in & drape the towel over it & now just get into the hot shower quicker so I don't bother with the heater anymore.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

440Posts Today

5,160Users online

Martin's Twitter