Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 29th Aug 19, 4:44 PM
    • 4,770Posts
    • 44,082Thanks
    dolly84
    NST September - A Simple September
    • 29th Aug 19, 4:44 PM
    NST September - A Simple September 29th Aug 19 at 4:44 PM
    NST: September 2019
    A Simple September

I always find September a bit like the New Year. The kids are going back to school, routines are getting back to normal, the house needs a really good clean after the holidays and I need to get back on top of everything again. With indulgent times looming later in the year for those of us who celebrate it, September seemed a good month to really scale things back a bit.

So with that in mind the theme for September is simplicity. Enjoy simple pleasures, cut down on things coming in to your space, get rid of things (in the best way possible) that are cluttering your home, only buy what you really need (this is aimed at me in particular), think about every unnecessary penny you spend moving you further away from your long term goals. Shop local, shop sustainably.

The rules:
    • The challenge runs for the month of September.
    • Pay to your debt/mortgage/savings first and live off the remainder.
    • Plan your spends in advance - budget carefully.
    • Take your lunch to work everyday, keep away from vending machines/canteens.
    • Aim for 15 NSDs (keep one if you only buy reduced goods, or medication, or fuel).

Anyone care to join me?
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
Page 11
    • greent
    • By greent 13th Sep 19, 6:45 PM
    • 8,190 Posts
    • 83,205 Thanks
    greent
    Happy Anniversary wishes coming up to all applicable turtles!

dolly - that doesn't sound good - there's certainly no need for excessive swearing - and never at all for such words as 'C...' Fingers crossed you can get to the bottom of what's troubling DD x

Another spend day today... sigh.... I think I'm having Spendy September Bought some bits for DS1's uni house share, a new pair of flipflops for me (mine are battered and I live in them in the Summer and want a good condition (sole wise) pair for Fl0rida) Did swap a bag of fabric recycling at H&M for a £5 off £25 voucher, though - stashed in my purse for when jeans shopping with students is required...
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £3757/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £518.64/£500
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 13th Sep 19, 7:38 PM
    • 3,408 Posts
    • 34,901 Thanks
    XSpender
    Thank you for the anniversary wishes

Happy anniversary for Sunday! It's ours two days later. Our first date was Sunday 15 years ago!

P.S. and no we didn't get married two days after our first date, rather 10 years and 2 days later, lol.
    Originally posted by thriftylass
    Happy anniversary for Tuesday, our first date was 9th September, moved in together 3 months later but took 4 years to get married.

XSpender - snap! to the wedding anniversary! We'll be at 18 years, and are always surprised at how many years it has been!
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    Happy anniversary! We are at 12 years on Sunday, feels like 2 at the most

Iíve managed a NSD (4/15) as DH was so late back from work he couldnít be bothered to go get the new game he has been waiting ages to be released
    • misstara
    • By misstara 13th Sep 19, 7:51 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 23,131 Thanks
    misstara
    A spend day today as I walked to the next village to get a couple of items from the shop (no shops in the village where my parents live) and then caught the bus back.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £0
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £666.94 (16.4% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 23/60
    Emergency fund - £210/£1000. Car fund - £320/£1000.
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 13th Sep 19, 7:54 PM
    • 3,084 Posts
    • 33,498 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Congratulations to all those with anniversaries. I would have been married for 32 years this week but fortunately have been happily divorced for 26 of them. My marriage was such a disaster that my anniversary is now an international day of mourning.

Hope you het to talk to DD dolly. We were discussing how much easier mum of twins life will be now that her twin's little boy is at preschool. I said it doesn't work like that, the problems change but I always felt that i was running to try to catch up and at 61 it still feels like that a lot of the time.

I can now stand on two legs rather than leaning so my weight is all on the right side. When your body is compensating to help an injury it can soon lead to other problems (knee taking the strain from an injured ankle, then your hip takes the strain from the knee and your spine starts to twist).

Stairs are okay but not planning to start running up and down them. Will continue cautiously. To take advantage of the weather i have painted 5 chimney pots today, 3 large old fashioned ones and 2 modern much smaller ones and planted many plants (chrysanthemums, pansies, geraniums). Not sure they are all where mum wants them but they are all in soil and have been watered in. Did nearly all of it sitting down.

Despite having a shower, washing my hair and washing my hands and scrubbing my nails several times I still have some blue paint on me and some dirt under my fingernails (tops are clean but there are intractable bits at the base). I should sleep well tonight.

Mum had mentioned having a bag of breaded mushrooms in so I cooked those and made a large salad to go with them. Mum did not have much of an appetite so I only did a small salad for her. She felt okay this morning but faded a bit as the afternoon wore on. Maybe she's had too many visitors (nails done Wednesday, cleaner there yesterday, mum of twins in the evening and hairdresser this morning). She ate nearly all of the food I gave her. Brought a lot of salady bits back.

Came back home to drama. Told the driver to stop behind the car that was already parked, then realised it was a police car. Was hoping the man next door was okay but then saw the action was around number 4. We have a new young man in the rented house (spoke to his dad when he first moved in) and i think there has been some partying going on. I think things got out of hand and he's so young he doesn't know what to do.

Neighbours from 2 and 6 were with him and a few young people milling about. Since i hadn't seen anything and had nothing to contribute I came straight into the house. DS3 only knows that it involved breaking glass. I could hear someone in the backs for a while, sounding upset but someone was talking to them so stayed out of it.

Today i am grateful for getting a couple of biggish jobs ticked off my list, for a delicious meal and for finding my old glasses (left at mum's specifically for painting).
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST Oct No 1 No Debt No mortgage
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 13th Sep 19, 8:20 PM
    • 9,371 Posts
    • 71,920 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for a walk in the woods with dh, for it still being shorts weather, for stripping a couple of strips of once-mouldy-wallpaper (tho dh did most of it!), for writing a letter and posting it, for dd being back home having had a wonderful week of activities in Devon, for a much quieter day after a week of manicness.
    NST October mudman #2; NSD 10/15; Ex 10/21; remove bagfuls 2(40)

Mortgage £15,451 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 13th Sep 19, 10:22 PM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 30,640 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 10 checking in
    Hi all

Definitely trying for simple September - another NSD today making 6/15 NSDs to date.

Sorry to hear about your work problems dolly84, it doesn't sound like a very pleasant place at all. I hope you can get to talk to DD & that she will confide in you.

Lovely Autumn day today, outside doing some gardening & helping DH to put screens up attached to big shed. Picked more crab apples & yet more blackberries.

All food from stores. Quiet day & very glad of it. Relatives visiting on Sunday so will need to be domesticated tomorrow. Always rather be out than in, but it will be nice to see them. Will make a cake, flavour to be decided.

Found out some items to sell, will list tomorrow.

Checking in to say hi: Hello Turtles!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 14th Sep 19, 7:18 AM
    • 2,544 Posts
    • 23,506 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Good morning lovely Turtles.
    In an amazing mood this morning- I was in the kitchen sweeping and hoovering broken glass at 10pm, it annoys me when glasses jump off the draining board when nobody is near them. It just seems rude and attention seeking, somehow.
    Anyway, the house is even tidier - the kitchen drawers of doom are clear. All of them, and they will be winging their way to the tip once I clear it with DH (they came in from the shed when we moved in -the bottoms are rotten and it was only a stop gap anyway. They will look much better as recycled wood chip. It was all his tat in there anyway. I call it tat, it is his crafting supplies - easily mistaken! So nothing has been thrown away, just similar things put together, 3/4 empty boxes of the same thing, combined into one box, type stuff. Anyway, more nasty things to leave the house. My recycling pile is getting very large.

I still have the major dilemma of what to do with all these bicycles. I fear I will have to brave the shed after I clear the rest of the kitchen/laundry/downstairs bathroom. I could do with a couple of those bicycle posts they stick in the high street. How much????? good lord.

I have one large crate left in the kitchen to clear. I am making progress.
    This morning, after 1 goes to ping pong, we are heading into town. DS1 needs to open a bank account and buy graph paper (not an easy thing to find anymore) and DS2 needs trainers (it got put off as he did not have PE this week) DS3 wants to buy a doughnut, and DS4 will no doubt have a tantrum. I have a £1.50 H&B voucher to use, and a £3 S&M voucher.

New recipe to try for lunch - baked lentil balls (think falafel with lentils instead of chickpeas), salad, pittas, and a garlic yogurt dressing I made that I want to use up - it is lush. Honestly, the kids would have it on cornflakes if I let them!

Also it is DHs birthday coming up and we want to check out the new monthly 100% vegan market in town. Then football this afternoon. I have a plan. What could possibly go wrong???

So I will remain on NSD6 but tomorrow will be filled with free park run, blackberrying, and scrumping apples.
    Hugs to dolly and dollydd

Congratulations to all those celebrating anniversaries, be that wedding, or freedom ones.
    MFW5/16 £118,340 10/17£109,49 12/17 £108,8 1/18 £108,33/18 £108,5 4/18£108,1 5/18£106,9 6/18£105,9, 7/18£105,3 8/18£103,9 9/18£102,9 10/18£101,9 11/18£101,3 12/18£100,7 1/19 £99,999 2/19 99,500 1/3 £98,91/4 £98,5 1/5 £97,9 1/6 £97,5 1/7 £96,9. 1/8 £96,500 1/9 £95,970.00 1/10 £95,500 MFW 2019 #65
    L&C Referal code- https://referme.to/GNNHtJo
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Sep 19, 8:14 AM
    • 32,404 Posts
    • 191,546 Thanks
    Karmacat
    All go on here ... I keep reading and not posting, and I really notice that life isn't "simple" - more or less what John Lennon said, life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans! But our attitudes and our own activities can focus on simple, all the same. Mine has been, this week: get more sleep, and do the garden as much as I can. Not bad results, actually. More simplicity today: the horticultural show and a walk round the village if I can get that far (half an hour each way to where I'm thinking of). Hope everyone has a good'un.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th Sep 19, 8:28 AM
    • 5,081 Posts
    • 45,265 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hello
    I seem to have blinked and lost 5 days of my life this week. I don't know if it's as I'm getting older but it seems to have taken a while to get into the swing of being back at school this year. Plus I've been battling the hormone fairy and two very anxious kids this week. So I've just kept going as much as I possibly could and suddenly it's the weekend.
    Chalked up another 3 nsd's during the week and was in bed and asleep very early last night so I'm almost raring to go today. I've put the Christmas gin on - doing blackberry and pear this year. Toni'sfriend - I got my recipe from foxgloves. It's about 300g of sugar per 750ml of gin, plus 300g ish of fruit. You put it all together in a big kilner style jar and give it a good shake every day - takes about 3 months to properly be ready but worth the wait...
    Hoping to be a bit more productive and a bit more positive generally today - my secret is not making too many plans and then whatever I get done is a bonus.
    NST October #11 nsd = 5
    I am honestly trying my best
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 14th Sep 19, 3:18 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 22,254 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Thank you, CCL. That sounds fantastic. I think I'll give it a go and try it out on the gin loving
    lovely cousin.

Dolly - That sounds really awful. I hate swearing but sadly it seems to be the norm these days.

Today was weekly shopping day. Not too bad considering I bought a joint of roast beef for Sunday dinner. Still have almost half the budget for this week left. Would have been more but Himself's been at the chocolate counter again.

Other than that I made a supply of various kinds of soup for the Boy's lunches and made a kind of flexible meal plan for next week. Really need to try and run down the freezers again.

The Boy was going to join us for part of our holiday in the Lake District in December and drive us back home but he's been called for jury duty two weeks before we go. We already have train tickets for the journey down but it might be prudent to buy them for the return just in case whilst we can still get them at a cheap rate. Train travel is so expensive here. Anyway we'll see. Still got a little bit of time to decide.

Another early night for me.
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 14th Sep 19, 4:10 PM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 4,692 Thanks
    lcc86
    Afternoon all, what a glorious day outside! Yesterday was definitely not a NSD, I got an old tattoo covered up, I've had it planned for months and the money came from savings so I'm not going to beat myself up for spending money. I did also buy extra food yesterday at work. Today I've been for a really long walk with a friend early this morning, it was really nice to just catch up and enjoy the scenery. Put the slow cooker on to make a sweet potato and coconut curry, almost finished and once cool it'll go in the freezer. Watched some TV this afternoon and about to go out for dinner tonight. It's within the entertainment budget. Tomorrow it's an early start for horse riding and then volunteering, we're having a 50th anniversary party where I volunteer so we'll be rewarded with cake at some point!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original diary
    Trying to enjoy moments not things!
    • greent
    • By greent 14th Sep 19, 5:07 PM
    • 8,190 Posts
    • 83,205 Thanks
    greent
    NSD 3 managed today - have been at work and then flopping around this afternoon. OH is out tonight but I don't control his spending....

Lovely weather- 2 loads of washing done and line dried. May try and iron some to catch-up tv tonight - am on taxi duty for OH and neighbour so it may help me stay awake!

Simplifying: Large bag of various small items put outside (under porch) for collection by shoebox appeal volunteer over next few days. Holey pair of ds3's (clean!!) Boxers added to recycling. 9 small hotel bars of soap turned into laundry liquid. 2 very old and rank smelling and weird texture ones binned. Various leftovers consumed by people.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £3757/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £518.64/£500
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 14th Sep 19, 5:11 PM
    • 9,371 Posts
    • 71,920 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today has been a lovely day. Full of simple pleasures. We all slept well. Dd and l returned some library books and got her a front door key cut. Also got a phone number of a trusted locksmith as neighbour needs to change her door lock. The washing got line-dried. I've needlefelted a snowman with an acorn cup for a hat. Did a little more clearing and hoovering. Dinner is simmering away and dh is nearly home.

It has felt like a holiday,not just a Saturday.

Dolly - you've been dissatisfied with your job for a while, so it sounds best to leave it behind. Hope your dd feels better soon.
    NST October mudman #2; NSD 10/15; Ex 10/21; remove bagfuls 2(40)

Mortgage £15,451 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 14th Sep 19, 7:42 PM
    • 5,789 Posts
    • 46,216 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all
    Lovely day today
    Still on 6 / 15 NSDs as I ordered new trousers for OH today. I discovered he doesn't have a single pair without a stain that won't come out, a hole, ragged hems or some other problem. I have told him he will be murdered if he wears the new ones in his workshop, which is where all the stains, holes etc come from!!
    Simple sort of day - did some housework, made all food at home, picked some blackberries
    Started a shopping list, as I will need to go early next week. Planning on going away in our old camper van for a couple of nights towards the end of next week, to make the most of the (still hopefully) nice weather. Won't be too spendy, as we always take most of our food with us.

• sashanut
    • By sashanut 14th Sep 19, 10:53 PM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 30,640 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 10 checking in
    Hi all

Another lovely Autumn day, washing dried on line & able to have another go at black spots on stone slabs. Bought expensive cleaner for it online, DH managed to ruin a pair of trousers by getting it on himself & no difference that I can see. Found another couple of bottles of stuff bought previously, now trying those. Seems better..

A quiet day again, much appreciated..All food from stores but not an NSD as needed caster sugar & am buying some bits for DH birthday online - from his list. Am picking the things that I prefer & not the hideous stonewashed jeans he has on there.

Some progress on decluttering, have found a purse to take to CS plus I think I've sold another one. Still a few to go. How did I acquire so many? None with any cash in of course..

Checking in to say hi : Hello turtles!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 15th Sep 19, 8:52 AM
    • 4,770 Posts
    • 44,082 Thanks
    dolly84
    DD had a good first day at work. DH, DS & I went for a lovely walk then called into our favourite town, it was very busy and had a lovely atmosphere, the sun was shining, children were playing in the river, buskers were out. Small spends on some shirts for DS from the charity shops, a shirt for DH, a coat for DD and a lovely ceramic lidded bowl for the dining room - a lot of things for not much money.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 15th Sep 19, 9:15 AM
    • 2,544 Posts
    • 23,506 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Today I am going to have to be creative if I want to get NSD7. Have taken one kid to Parkrun already, and have a massive long list of things to do. I am on a mission to get as much done today as possible.

DH comes back tonight and I am afraid I will get nothing done when he returns. He is too distracting for his own good.
    MFW5/16 £118,340 10/17£109,49 12/17 £108,8 1/18 £108,33/18 £108,5 4/18£108,1 5/18£106,9 6/18£105,9, 7/18£105,3 8/18£103,9 9/18£102,9 10/18£101,9 11/18£101,3 12/18£100,7 1/19 £99,999 2/19 99,500 1/3 £98,91/4 £98,5 1/5 £97,9 1/6 £97,5 1/7 £96,9. 1/8 £96,500 1/9 £95,970.00 1/10 £95,500 MFW 2019 #65
    L&C Referal code- https://referme.to/GNNHtJo
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 15th Sep 19, 12:10 PM
    • 3,084 Posts
    • 33,498 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Fellow turtles. I have a bit of a dilemma. Okay I'm tying myself in knots overthinking things and trying to decide if I'm really saving the planet or just being self-indulgent.

It has been a spendy weekend. Plus my sleeping pattern has gone a bit awol (lots of sleep, slow wake up, only feeling like getting going late, can't sleep) so I don't know how to count my NSDs as I have spent at odd times (SM order done in the wee small hours and only went to sleep after 6 am - went downstairs at 4 am to start loading the dishwasher and washing machine and sort rubbish).

I admit I have succumbed a couple of times to the lure of 'targeted ads' (must learn to get rid of some of the cookies - atm i am just permanently deleting ones that I don't like). The first purchase was fine as the sticks I bought to help keep the sinks flowing were also advertised on the CAT (the Welsh quarry one not the rain deforestation one) website but they were out of stock.

This weekend I bought 2 pairs of 'boots' (non slip, comfy, arch supporting) for about £40 (10% discount for 2, free shipping) in nearly the sort of emerald green I would have bought DMs in if I had ever been able to justify the expense of buying DMs for myself and one in a brighter than navy but goes with a lot of my clothes blue.

I keep telling myself it's okay to have more than one pair of shoes (I have a pair of proper walking boots to wear in the depths of winter providing I have no injuries, my new very expensive - for me - mountain climbing trainers which are going to be on my feet nearly all the time, plus a pair of pull on fake fur lined boots which are really just slippers that are acceptable to wear outside the house).

On the other hand I am wondering if they were too cheap and whether they will not be what i think they are. Was it an impulse purchase led by the pretty colours (rather than the grey with a flash of turquoise trainers). I hadn't got more footwear on my to buy list.

As i had already spent money and knew one weekend day was going to be a spend day, I went out yesterday for about an hour and a half (new walking programme plan) visited 3 shops (+ browsed 3 cs) ticked lots off my list (spent about £28 but £7 was things mum wants or has asked me to look out for and another £10 was a further stock up of washing pods (changing the product and I like the old one so buying the half price ones when I see them - had to hunt for them before this).

A couple of pre-decided minor indulgences (mood not quite right and tummy problems too). The only thing I wanted and couldn't find was a tin of paint for painting the outside metal chairs (left me about 12 years ago by a previous house occupant and destined for a new life as a support framework for my large eco bag planters). Wanted the covering up rust spots paint and they only had aerosols.

Lots of price and availability details jotted down for bedding plants (mum mostly) and metal/ recycled planters plus things I want to buy later on (white chocolate coins for DS3's 'stocking' which may be a reindeer made from a brown paper bag, twigs and a red pompom this year). I have to judge the timing of the planter buying just right as one side of an aisle had been replaced with Halloween and 'that festival' stuff. Want to get the planters reduced if I can but need to get them before they're replaced by an avalanche of glitter, tat and baubles.

I had also decided to bring forward the purchase of a s0d@stre@m. I had a sale price offer so looked at the options. Cordless, electric one touch or one with a glass carafe (cheapest to most expensive), gas in singles or annual plan of 12 (all canisters returned to manufacturer and next 4 dispatched).

Cheapest also came in a choice of colours (okay I have a shallow side - I picked the pale blue which goes with bamboo tray I bought in the sale and put away for 'C' and the kettle and toaster i bought in 2004 when I had the kitchen refurb) and I could have an extra 5% off by signing up for emails). Last night I decided to go for the annual plan (not strictly annual just a commitment to a 12 bottle, 4 at a time purchase) and also worked out that it's going to cost roughly twice what I currently pay for bottled water. Then I panicked and didn't buy.

Then I decided I should just commit to giving up bottled fizzy water altogether (indulgent) and also call a halt to buying decaff coke from a company I detest heartily (along with MacD, D1sney and Nestlay for world domination). Then later on I realised that this didn't solve the problem of what to do at mum's. Her tap water is absolutely vile, so do I go back to hauling bottles of my own tap water there?

This shopping is exhausting, no wonder i normally try to avoid it. The other question was if switching to a few low cost swaps (safety razor, switch back to wooden dishwashing brushes - had to go to Southport last time I wanted these - and maybe buy my beebombs as now is the best time for planting).

I do realise I should be scouring gum tree and freegle/ local community for 2nd hand/ unwanted oldies (still pondering the adult tricycles I looked at last week) but I have had some bad experiences / not much luck with them and I also have trouble 'accepting' (help, compliments) and am much more comfortable giving.

This morning the preview of the Amnesty catalogue popped up in my 'mail' and there are so many lovely things and much more choice than there used to be (including a turtletastic cotton carrier bag and a vegan panettonne). Think I have to have a long hard look at my bank balance and set a strict limit on spending on the boys (done buy our own present pacts with the eldest two in recent years so this may be indulgence by proxy. Have to remember I am poor (by most people's standards, in dire poverty by Western standards).

Thank you for listening to my ramblings. Today i am grateful for how good I feel on 4 hours sleep (there was lots of resting), for the luxury of choice, for food, clean drinking water, money in my purse (and DS2's pocket), warmth, shelter, a bed with clean sheets, reasonable health, a functioning but embattled NHS, being Able To Walk unaided, for benches to rest awhile, for good books, fun games (battling slugs atm), for my own space even if the state of it drives me to despair (my neglect, physical limitations plus the other 2 people living here - time for another talk), for sewing for pleasure not as a chore, for fresh air, nature's changing seasonal glories and the constant entertainment value of town centre, edge of the car park living.

I may go shopping today. It's on my walking plan (may even make it to the canal festival). The plan is to hit little Arseda and Tessimo for the last hour bargains (A is 3 pm - 4 pm and T is 4 pm - 5 pm) particularly for bread and veg. I have seen reports of several food banks being overwhelmed by demand so if I get to Tessimo I will buy £10 of stuff to donate (I seem to remember that if you put it in their donation box T will add 10% to the value of donations).

Oh and yesterday i unscrewed the bath plughole (only saw it once i had my new spectacles) in an attempt to gain easier access to the u-bend blockage. only to find that the plughole and the pipe beneath are not in line. Discussed it with my cohabitees and they spent some time working on a number of options with no success - with have to call/ message Mr and Mrs Builder to upgrade us as none of us can have a shower or bath until it's fixed.Let's hope 'cleaning the bathroom' isn't as troublesome as 'unscrewing the plughole'. Grateful for only writing a 3 item to do list.

Oxfam online shop is 12 years old and offered a 12% discount to celebrate. No s0d@ stre@m only a Ken Wood mincer, a baby bottle steriliserr and an iced tea maker.
    Last edited by mothernerd; 15-09-2019 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Stray parentheses
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST Oct No 1 No Debt No mortgage
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 15th Sep 19, 4:02 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 22,254 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    NSD No 10

Quiet day. To be honest I am feeling really tired and washed out so I spent most of the afternoon sleeping.

Making dinner now, The Boy will be here in about an hour and I'll be straight to bed again after he goes home.
    • Pollie
    • By Pollie 15th Sep 19, 4:19 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    Pollie
    Mothernerd, could you beg, borrow but perhaps not steal a water filter jug and see if that makes a difference to the taste of the water at your Mum's house? If it makes it palatable, may be an investment for the future.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

233Posts Today

2,835Users online

Martin's Twitter