Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 29th Aug 19, 4:44 PM
    • 4,781Posts
    • 44,168Thanks
    dolly84
    NST September - A Simple September
    • 29th Aug 19, 4:44 PM
    NST September - A Simple September 29th Aug 19 at 4:44 PM
    NST: September 2019
    A Simple September

I always find September a bit like the New Year. The kids are going back to school, routines are getting back to normal, the house needs a really good clean after the holidays and I need to get back on top of everything again. With indulgent times looming later in the year for those of us who celebrate it, September seemed a good month to really scale things back a bit.

So with that in mind the theme for September is simplicity. Enjoy simple pleasures, cut down on things coming in to your space, get rid of things (in the best way possible) that are cluttering your home, only buy what you really need (this is aimed at me in particular), think about every unnecessary penny you spend moving you further away from your long term goals. Shop local, shop sustainably.

The rules:
    • The challenge runs for the month of September.
    • Pay to your debt/mortgage/savings first and live off the remainder.
    • Plan your spends in advance - budget carefully.
    • Take your lunch to work everyday, keep away from vending machines/canteens.
    • Aim for 15 NSDs (keep one if you only buy reduced goods, or medication, or fuel).

Anyone care to join me?
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
Page 10
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 12th Sep 19, 8:39 AM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 4,692 Thanks
    lcc86
    Morning all, just checking in to report a NSD yesterday. Today should be another, just plodding along at work. I have next week off so just making sure everything is covered. Had a session with my PT yesterday morning so very achey today, plan to go to the gym tonight as well. Going to get the slow cooker going when I get in from work and do a beef stew for OH, will make myself a veggie version as well.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original diary
    Trying to enjoy moments not things!
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 12th Sep 19, 10:58 AM
    • 1,547 Posts
    • 4,910 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Won't be a NSD today after all, was meant to be treated for lunch but that has now moved to tomorrow, so need to go out and buy some lunch! May as well utilise the spendy day, and order the rest of OH's birthday presents later should be able to make the NSD tomorrow instead now, though.
    Debt Target #08 - £125/£489.06 (25.5%)
    Debts busted: 7/10
    NSD Target: 4/15
    Annual Car Costs Fund: £218
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 12th Sep 19, 2:15 PM
    • 9,377 Posts
    • 71,972 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Think we are developing a collective turtle mind.
    Originally posted by mothernerd

We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistence is futile.

Sorry, but that's what came to mind when I read the start of your post mothernerd .
    NST October mudman #2; NSD 10/15; Ex 10/21; remove bagfuls 2(40)

Mortgage £15,451 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 12th Sep 19, 2:33 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 22,280 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    NSD No 8

I think my simple September must be verging on the boring for anybody reading. I just haven't been doing anything interesting but I'm quite enjoying the peace and quiet, reading and relaxing.

Ticking off jobs, eating from stores and generally trying to get organised and into a routine.

Foxholes - Think I'm going to have to take a leaf out of your book and do something productive.
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 12th Sep 19, 3:14 PM
    • 1,547 Posts
    • 4,910 Thanks
    SSDD23
    I'm actually excited - I have a night at home until OH gets home late tonight, where no one needs me for anything.

We are kid-free, I've been to the gym in the past couple of days, we are on top of the washing

Jesus, peace and quiet

(I say that, I'll still find a million things that need doing........)
    • PheoniX
    • By PheoniX 12th Sep 19, 5:09 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 2,551 Thanks
    PheoniX
    Think it's been a week since I've last checked in. Did some overtime shifts and have been at work nearly every day, lost track of spend days as there has been purchases involved here and there. Needed cat food, new glasses and did a little shop, all necessary but not bunched together.. So annoyed, rolled into the back of a car yesterday who slammed the brakes on at a roundabout No damage to the other car but £180 worth on mine could have been worse.

Sashanut - water damage sounds horrendous, hope your home is drying out
    Mothernerd - hope your mums doing ok after her tumble
    SSDD - that tape is miraculous, I managed huge running distances with a strapped Achilles without a twinge!
    Dolly - boo hiss to toothache!
    Ninja Saving Turtle
    SFD 1 Food 0 Fuel 0 Fun 0 Misc 0

• greent
    • By greent 12th Sep 19, 5:15 PM
    • 8,194 Posts
    • 83,257 Thanks
    greent
    WM repaired! :J - cost £125

Also spent at smkt today - bought entirely unnecessary but lovely hot pink flowers - now on display in kitchen in a purple glass jug Also bought 3 trays of bedding plants - have planted some up in pots and will swap over some more Summer bedding over the next week.

Found an item to start off new CS bag. Also a couple of things to try and sell on fb00k mktplace and some items to donate to school. Gave my mum a jar of chutney which I didn't like and also a rosemary plant I'd rooted from my huge old one (now gone - several small ones in pots as replacements)

Washing load no 1 on line....
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £3757/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £518.64/£500
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 12th Sep 19, 5:51 PM
    • 3,091 Posts
    • 33,588 Thanks
    mothernerd
    We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistence is futile.

Sorry, but that's what came to mind when I read the start of your post mothernerd .
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    Don't worry, it crossed my mind too. We kept using the BORG scale in exercise classes - measuring how much effort we were using. We had to try to keep in the middle range between 10 and 16, roughly being able to answer a question (was carry on a conversation but if i could still gasp a one word answer It counted). 17 to 20 was overdoing with 20 being needing CPR and call the ambulance.

Early on I mentioned 7 of 9 and was met with total incomprehension. Group was all women, some around my age, a couple of young mums and youngish instructors (including one male) but surely at least one of them, somewhere along the line, must have had a husband, boyfriend or son who watched Star Trek - it used to be pretty much unavoidable at one time, like Friends which seemed to live on for years being shown on one channel or another.

I've had a quiet day after a busy start. Reluctantly got up at 7.30 am to thrown myself into the morning routine (would have liked another couple of hours but didn't want to be in the cleaner's way). Packed away my breathing machine after I came out of the shower and my embroidery whilst the suncream was drying.

I put some things in the suitcase but then started to slow down. I put half the couch back together (cover removed, arm up, cushion back in position) then had to sit down before doing the other half. Went in the kitchen to check on food (what I was leaving, what I was taking home, what needed buying) and decided to make two wraps and sat and ate them slowly.

All I can think is that doing the washing yesterday (pegging out and walking up and down the yard) and a long time standing cooking and washing up have used up my available energy - I was a little bit dizzy and kept lurching sideways.

Mum was much better, having done nothing but rest since we got back from the hospital visit but was still going to have another 'do nothing' day (pleased about that). Cleaner had overslept so only arrived at 10 am.

I have left a nightie, spare t-shirt, pills for 1 day and a few oddments of toiletries in the drawer with 'my' dressing gown.

Took two books back to the library when I came home, paid a fine (60p) and brought 4 home (all paperbacks, light reading and from favourite authors - was a bit stuck on the ones I took back, will ebjoy them at another time but couldn't get into them).

I went to the chip shop for lunch (sorry, sorry, sorry) but brought up a new tub of cheese spread to have on crispbread (will top with the 5 tiny toms and one yellow pepper I had in my rucksack). Tea and maybe breakfast.

Haven't done anything more strenuous than reading all afternoon but seem to be coming round a bit now. Just been downstairs and did several rubbish trips including getting DS3 to stand on his pizza box mountain to squash them. They had cleared away most of the mess from near 'their' couch in the front room but unfortunately had only put it in small bags and dumped it in the kitchen so there were fruit flies all over them.

Have written lists of things I have left at mum's, things that need doing at mum's (subject to available energy) and things that need buying in the morning before I go back. Climbing stairs is less painful but still a big effort, going down is better except for the first step.

Today I am grateful for rest, reading and sorting the rubbish.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST Oct No 1 No Debt No mortgage
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 12th Sep 19, 6:34 PM
    • 9,377 Posts
    • 71,972 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for finishing work for the week, for recovering from being glutenised on Tues, for being well enough to do a workout, for working with some great people, for dd coming home tomorrow, for dry weather, for fresh rasps, for cycling on the telly.

Mortgage £15,451 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 12th Sep 19, 6:44 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 46,223 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening
    Just reporting in to claim another NSD, so I am now at 5/15
    Helped OH sweep the chimney this morning, and spent most of the rest of the day cleaning, not just because of the chimney sweeping, just that I had the vacuum cleaner out so thought I might as well give the lounge a good clean, nasty corners, behind furniture, attacked cobwebs, scrubbed hearth etc.
    All food from home as usual, managed a bit in the garden but not been able to face the ironing yet!

• sashanut
    • By sashanut 12th Sep 19, 10:38 PM
    • 3,229 Posts
    • 30,682 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 10 checking in
    Hi all

Checking in to report another NSD - now 5/15, not too shabby..

However, I definitely think Thursdays are a nono for me...last Thursday - flood (still drying but smelly ugh). This Thursday, well it was more of DDs problem but still...it involved 2 kittens locked in a car, her Airbnb 'lodger' being told to leave (by Airbnb), refusal to leave, DH having to go round, lodger being taken to A&E by him due to mental state & being admitted to hospital, kittens (only about 5 weeks old) taken by DDs friends to be looked after....you get the drift
    Next Thursday, I'm not getting up. At all.

before all this kicked off, I did get some things done, I made blackberry jelly & the Christmas version with sloe gin which I can put in hampers, picked the last of the plums & crab apples. Helped DH to hammer on screens round big shed (half done now). Washed rugs & on line as a blowy day. Cut the front grass

Made a lasagne & sponge pudding, healthy eh - so all food from stores. Hopefully tomorrow will be a quiet day....

Checking in to say hi: Hello Turtles!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 13th Sep 19, 6:17 AM
    • 2,551 Posts
    • 23,571 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Today will be NSD6. DH decided he was staying in his nice, comfy, warm bed for another night, so he is leaving this morning for his cold, hard, noisy field of friends.

Volunteered yesterday, lots of carrying heavy boxes up and down lots of stairs, so I will treat it as a workout.

Budgets all good. Single parent til Sunday night.

I am at the helm and in control. Feeling good. Going to attack the 'drawers of tat' in the kitchen, and will go spelunking into some of the 'odds and sods' boxes.

Happy Friday the 13th!
    MFW5/16 £118,340 10/17£109,49 12/17 £108,8 1/18 £108,33/18 £108,5 4/18£108,1 5/18£106,9 6/18£105,9, 7/18£105,3 8/18£103,9 9/18£102,9 10/18£101,9 11/18£101,3 12/18£100,7 1/19 £99,999 2/19 99,500 1/3 £98,91/4 £98,5 1/5 £97,9 1/6 £97,5 1/7 £96,9. 1/8 £96,500 1/9 £95,970.00 1/10 £95,500 MFW 2019 #65
    L&C Referal code- https://referme.to/GNNHtJo
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 13th Sep 19, 8:46 AM
    • 1,547 Posts
    • 4,910 Thanks
    SSDD23
    As expected, I found things to do at home! I put some washing machine cleaner inside the washing machine and ran that, tidied up all rooms of the house, cleaned both toilets, tinted my eyebrows, and went and picked up some new flowers from our local co-op. I have to say, the ones I get from there always last 2-3 weeks, I'm very impressed!

Trying to be productive today to make my last day at work go faster, five days off next week cannot come soon enough

In life admin jobs, this morning I have:
    - phoned up and cancelled my breakdown cover that is now included with my bank accout
    - phoned up and cancelled a CC I cleared yesterday that has a monthly fee

I particularly hate jobs that involve cancelling/querying things, so pleased to have got those done at last. Much easier than trying to cancel my phone insurance the other day!

I keep waking up at around 3am at the moment for the last few days, very odd and it is interrupting my sleep pattern and making me tired the next day. Oh well, sure it will pass!

Oh, and NSD 6 today
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 13th Sep 19, 9:10 AM
    • 3,412 Posts
    • 34,915 Thanks
    XSpender
    Busy week at work this week and haven't managed to post much. I think I am on 3 NSDs would like to get another one today.

I was hoping my WFH day could be spent walking the dog and doing the house work but too busy so started last night and done a fair bit before work this morning. 2 loads of washing done too and on the line. I did a pretty deep clean last week so only a bit of dusting, hoovering and a quick swipe about the bathroom and it will be done as most of downstairs done already.

Not much room for maneuver in the budget. I am changing to SIM only today now my phone is unlocked, just need to see what I need to do with the PAC code to keep my number. DH has a small tax rebate to claim this weekend. Hoping there is enough left in the fun pot for a 1 course meal out at our favorite pub as it is our wedding anniversary on Sunday. I have the makings of apple crumble at home so will have 1 course and then have crumble when we get back. Must remember to get a tub of ice cream to go with it. I prefer custard but DH and DS are team ice-cream all the way
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 13th Sep 19, 9:21 AM
    • 1,547 Posts
    • 4,910 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Busy week at work this week and haven't managed to post much. I think I am on 3 NSDs would like to get another one today.

I was hoping my WFH day could be spent walking the dog and doing the house work but too busy so started last night and done a fair bit before work this morning. 2 loads of washing done too and on the line. I did a pretty deep clean last week so only a bit of dusting, hoovering and a quick swipe about the bathroom and it will be done as most of downstairs done already.

Not much room for maneuver in the budget. I am changing to SIM only today now my phone is unlocked, just need to see what I need to do with the PAC code to keep my number. DH has a small tax rebate to claim this weekend. Hoping there is enough left in the fun pot for a 1 course meal out at our favorite pub as it is our wedding anniversary on Sunday. I have the makings of apple crumble at home so will have 1 course and then have crumble when we get back. Must remember to get a tub of ice cream to go with it. I prefer custard but DH and DS are team ice-cream all the way
    Originally posted by XSpender
    Happy anniversary for Sunday
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 13th Sep 19, 10:01 AM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 29,693 Thanks
    thriftylass
    ... as it is our wedding anniversary on Sunday.
    Originally posted by XSpender
    Happy anniversary for Sunday! It's ours two days later. Our first date was Sunday 15 years ago!

P.S. and no we didn't get married two days after our first date, rather 10 years and 2 days later, lol.
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 13th Sep 19, 10:26 AM
    • 9,377 Posts
    • 71,972 Thanks
    apple muncher
    XSpender - snap! to the wedding anniversary! We'll be at 18 years, and are always surprised at how many years it has been!

• Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 13th Sep 19, 3:19 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 22,280 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Happy anniversary, XSpender. I hope you enjoy your meal.

NSD No 9

Himself was at doctor today to see about his many and various ailments (at last). Blood tests and x rays to try to get to the bottom of it. Worryingly. the doctor has mentioned testing for diabetes. His late mother, sister and brother all suffered from this and it's something I've been concerned about for a while. We'll just have to wait and see.

Managed to get everything I needed to do done but by mid morning I was getting really bad stomach pains. Himself packed me off to bed where I've been until now. Starting to feel a little more human. No idea of the cause but after some toast and watching Downton I'm back off to bed.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 13th Sep 19, 4:31 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 46,223 Thanks
    DawnW
    Hello, just a check in to claim NSD 6 / 15
    Don't need anything, so didn't buy anything.
    Lovely sunny day, did a bit in the garden, and made a cake and a blackberry and apple crumble
    Dinner will be pesto pasta using HM pesto made from basil I grew in my mini greenhouse
    May tackle the ironing pile later

• dolly84
    • By dolly84 13th Sep 19, 5:00 PM
    • 4,781 Posts
    • 44,168 Thanks
    dolly84
    Happy Anniversary to those celebrating them.

Toni'sFriend - hope you feel better.

Worked today, I think I am going to tell them I am leaving. I've hated it since the beginning and just don't fit in. I think the filthy talk (including the C word many times a day) the talk about using drugs, the swearing constantly, the fact that I've never been trained so still don't know half of what I should and this has made it really hard to gel with everyone else.

DD has come home crying and saying she feels sad and lonely all the time, last week she was so positive about everything and she starts her new job tomorrow so she has lots going on, I am guessing it is hormonal but she worries me. The school is closed on Monday for the entrance exam (used to be on a Saturday) so at least I might have time to sort it out with her.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,346Posts Today

8,262Users online

Martin's Twitter