Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Graham1
    • By Graham1 26th Aug 19, 10:54 AM
    • 443Posts
    • 167Thanks
    Graham1
    Shell energy broadband - any feedback from recent joiners ?
    • 26th Aug 19, 10:54 AM
    Shell energy broadband - any feedback from recent joiners ? 26th Aug 19 at 10:54 AM
    Do any recent joiners to Shell energy broadband have any feedback to share about it ?

I am referring to their standard ADSL 'fast broadband' 'up to 11Mbps' service, not their fibre offerings.

I am always suspicious of very cheap providers as they probably over-commit their available bandwidth more than most. But as we are quite far from the exchange and on an EO line we only get a 2Mbps sync speed anyway. I am wondering if this service would be good enough.

Any feedback on how much it slows down (or stops) during peak evening hours would be useful.
Page 2
    • See Em
    • By See Em 19th Sep 19, 4:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    See Em
    A few points from my experience and related to other comments on this thread.
    I signed up for the ADSL ie GBP 16.99pm (+ GBP75 credit to be 31Oct)
    1. During the sign up process there are links to docs. One link is to the promotion and explains how and when the GBP75 will be paid.
    2. I was planning to cancel before cooling off but got a message saying the router was in the post so I hung in there.
    3. everything fine with change over - all works
    4. got my first bill yesterday and was not happy. Its more than I expected and VAT is listed separately. I checked my quote and the general T&C doc which both state clearly that GBP16.99 includes VAT and para 5.6 in the T&C says all charges are inclusive of VAT. Yet the doc that explains bills says monthly charges are exclusive of VAT. I sent an email and have not heard back yet.
    5. Still thinking about it and wondering if the SHELL "why is my first bill more" FAQ might explain it all - basically the first bill for me is a few days more than a month (10 Sept - 15 Oct) and just so happens to have a monthly charge of approx GBP16.90 + vat = GBP20.28
    6 The SHELL chat bot is very energy centric with nothing for broadband.
    7. fingers crossed this all works out after a few months - if not I've switched to something more than the previous provider.
    Last edited by See Em; 19-09-2019 at 5:00 PM. Reason: correct mistate
    • cisko65
    • By cisko65 25th Sep 19, 4:19 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    cisko65
    Hi MSE Chris, my message refers to a mix of the previous one:

I started to sign up for Shell's superfast broadband (Average 35Mb) + landline. MSE shows this package as 22.99 monthly cost and, considering the 75 offer, an effective one of 16.74. I accessed Shell's website via MSE, but I'm not taken automatically to the deal, in fact I have to enter what Kind of package I want and the 22.99 one is not shown.

Sorry for such a long message. Maybe the solution to my query is obvious, but I can't get it myself.
    Thanks
    • MSE Chris
    • By MSE Chris 25th Sep 19, 4:24 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    MSE Chris
    Hi MSE Chris, my message refers to a mix of the previous one:

I started to sign up for Shell's superfast broadband (Average 35Mb) + landline. MSE shows this package as 22.99 monthly cost and, considering the 75 offer, an effective one of 16.74. I accessed Shell's website via MSE, but I'm not taken automatically to the deal, in fact I have to enter what Kind of package I want and the 22.99 one is not shown.

Sorry for such a long message. Maybe the solution to my query is obvious, but I can't get it myself.
    Thanks
    Originally posted by cisko65
    Hi,

I suspect you may be going to Shell Energy's Broadband site directly.

If you enter your postcode on our site here: https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com

When you find the 16.74 deal, click 'Get Deal' and you'll then be redirected to Shell Energy's application form. On that page, it'll state at the top:

Enter your postcode and click next to continue. You'll then be presented with the 22.99 option to select.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any questions.
    • cisko65
    • By cisko65 27th Sep 19, 7:00 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    cisko65
    shell energy broadband+landline
    Hi,

I suspect you may be going to Shell Energy's Broadband site directly.

If you enter your postcode on our site here: https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com

When you find the 16.74 deal, click 'Get Deal' and you'll then be redirected to Shell Energy's application form. On that page, it'll state at the top:

Enter your postcode and click next to continue. You'll then be presented with the 22.99 option to select.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any questions.
    Originally posted by MSE Chris
    Thanks Chris.
    I go through the MSE page
    https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/?_ga=2.193346605.1236032942.1569605215-1642066056.1556355738#search

I enter my post code and selections of Mb speed etc. and I get the 22.90 package details. When I click 'Get deal' (Sorry, I can't copy the screenshot I did) I am redirected to Shell Energy's application form. At the topOn that page, it states :

''In partnership with''
    ''Exclusive offer
    75 etc.''

From there I select 'Not an energy customer? (and not the Log In). But after registering I am asked what I want and the 22.99 option doesn't appear.
    I am a bit lost...
    Hope you have time to reply to me again. Thanks
    • cisko65
    • By cisko65 28th Sep 19, 10:59 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    cisko65
    shell energy broadband+landline
    Thanks Chris.
    I go through the MSE page
    https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/?_ga=2.193346605.1236032942.1569605215-1642066056.1556355738#search

I enter my post code and selections of Mb speed etc. and I get the 22.90 package details. When I click 'Get deal' (Sorry, I can't copy the screenshot I did) I am redirected to Shell Energy's application form. At the topOn that page, it states :

''In partnership with''
    ''Exclusive offer
    75 etc.''

From there I select 'Not an energy customer? (and not the Log In). But after registering I am asked what I want and the 22.99 option doesn't appear.
    I am a bit lost...
    Hope you have time to reply to me again. Thanks
    Originally posted by cisko65
    I managed to do it!
    Thanks
    • TonyR48
    • By TonyR48 1st Oct 19, 11:18 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TonyR48
    Very poor Shell Energy Broadband customer service
    I was interested in Shell Broadband after seeing it on the MSE
    site in August 2019. The MSE site showed it as 16.99 pcm with a 75 discount at the end of October, ie. a total monthly payment of 10.74 pcm. I was transferred to the Shell Energy Broadband website and I joined, it commenced 10th September 2019. I received an email confirming it was 16.99.
    Not long after, I received a bill showing what I would have to pay, it was c16.90 PLUS VAT! now over 20.

I sent them a complaint using their online form, but received no reply.
    I rang their Customer Service/Bill enquiries number, and waited while an automated voice message kept saying they were busy. I gave up after 16 minutes.
    I've since emailed them, and yet again no reply.

I checked the original email from Shell that said it was 16.99 and it changed while I was looking at it, to plus vat!!! Is this legal?

So can't recommend them at all at the moment.

TonyR
    • MSE Chris
    • By MSE Chris 1st Oct 19, 11:32 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    MSE Chris
    I was interested in Shell Broadband after seeing it on the MSE
    site in August 2019. The MSE site showed it as 16.99 pcm with a 75 discount at the end of October, ie. a total monthly payment of 10.74 pcm. I was transferred to the Shell Energy Broadband website and I joined, it commenced 10th September 2019. I received an email confirming it was 16.99.
    Not long after, I received a bill showing what I would have to pay, it was c16.90 PLUS VAT! now over 20.

I sent them a complaint using their online form, but received no reply.
    I rang their Customer Service/Bill enquiries number, and waited while an automated voice message kept saying they were busy. I gave up after 16 minutes.
    I've since emailed them, and yet again no reply.

I checked the original email from Shell that said it was 16.99 and it changed while I was looking at it, to plus vat!!! Is this legal?

So can't recommend them at all at the moment.

TonyR
    Originally posted by TonyR48
    Hi TonyR,

I think without a copy of your bill, it's difficult for us to answer this one. Perhaps this FAQ from Shell helps explain why your first bill may be different:

https://help.shellenergy.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360001044418-Why-is-my-first-bill-higher-than-I-expected-

If that doesn't explain the difference here, then you will need to contact Shell directly. It has a live chat function on it's site which you can access here:

https://www.shellenergy.co.uk/contact-us

Type the word "Chat" in the box and you'll be given the option to chat with someone if they're available.

MSE Chris
    • mnbvcxz
    • By mnbvcxz 1st Oct 19, 1:31 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    mnbvcxz
    10/09/2019 - 15/10/2019 is a month and five days.

So that seems entirely consistent with shells faq. They charged you for five days at the standard rate or 19.99 and then for a full month at 16.99, presumably to be followed by seventeen more months at 16.99.

By my calculations with 30.44 days in the average month they have rounded it up by about a sixth of a penny. I bet you they keep it too!

You can see your offer price listed in their historical price list at https://www.shellenergy.co.uk/info/broadband/pricing

Poor of them not to answer you enquiries though.
    • MSE Chris
    • By MSE Chris 1st Oct 19, 1:35 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    MSE Chris
    Hi Chris, Thanks. This is a copy of the bill amount they say is due:
    Monthly charges From - To Charge
    Caller display (in advance) 10/09/2019 - 15/10/2019 0.00
    Fast Broadband (in advance) 10/09/2019 - 15/10/2019 21.88
    Line rental (in advance) 10/09/2019 - 15/10/2019 0.00
    Promotional Discount 5 10/09/2019 - 15/10/2019 4.98 CR
    Total 16.90
    Total
    Total charges 16.90
    VAT at 20% 3.38
    Total charges this period 20.28
    Originally posted by TonyR48
    Hi,

I was just about to reply until I saw mnbvcxz had beat me to it.

The billing period is for 35 days and I suspect this is because your Direct Debit is set to come out on the 15th of each month following this billing period.

I'm disappointed Shell were unable to respond to you but do try their chat feature as I've personally found it to be quite quick/helpful myself in the past.

Best,

MSE Chris
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 1st Oct 19, 1:46 PM
    • 15,638 Posts
    • 83,135 Thanks
    GDB2222
    I signed up with Shell, and I found their customer service very good. They answered my questions promptly, and they sent the router in plenty of time. The actual ADSL is provided by BT Openreach, so is out o9f their control, anyway.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • Irene.S
    • By Irene.S 5th Oct 19, 1:11 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Irene.S
    Shell Fast Broadband - no 75 credit and VAT added as extra
    Hi Chris, Id be grateful for your help. I signed up in August through the MSE link for the Shell Fast Broadband offer for 16.99 with a 75 automatic bill credit. My offer stated that the 16.99 included VAT but my October bill has 20% VAT added to it and I have not received the automatic 75 credit as the offer promised.
    • Truthful
    • By Truthful 10th Oct 19, 11:56 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Truthful
    Shell Broadband VAT
    Hi !

I`ve just received my first bill and the VAT has also been added on at the end. The pricing has turned out to be a lot higher than my previous supplier.
    • Truthful
    • By Truthful 10th Oct 19, 12:13 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Truthful
    Shell Broadband
    I`m confused by my billing with Shell Broadband. It`s showing total charges 29.06, more than my previous supplier . It includes Voicemail 1.65 and evening and weekend calls 3.76. However the VAT is added on at the end ! I thought the VAT was supposed to be included in the package ?? I did ask them if I would receive a penalty charge if I reverted to my previous supplier and they didn`t answer. Looking at the other threads there seems to be some confusion over the billing and we don`t always get the right answers.
    • ThePounds
    • By ThePounds 12th Oct 19, 9:23 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ThePounds
    I was with Sky for a few years and had negotiated a good deal to renew with them in Aug 2018 but they were not able to beat the Shell price this year so I went ahead and swapped.

All went very smoothly, good communications and the router turned-up much quicker than expected. Changeover day was all good too and everything has been up-and-running fine since then, with consistent service and no down-time that I'm aware of.

1st bill, quite naturally, was for 1 month plus the few extra days, although a few hours after they issued it they said there was an error and adjusted it down a little. 2nd bill just arrived covering 09/10 to 08/11:
    Caller display (in advance) 0
    Fast BB (in advance) 18.32
    Line rental 0
    Promotional discount5 4.17 credit
    Package Total 14.15
    VAT 2.83
    TOTAL 16.98

So that seems to tally with what I was expecting. I'll keep an eye out for the 75 discount due at end of this this month.

I've not had reason to contact them, so can't comment on customer service levels, but so far I'm quite happy.
    • shammydodger
    • By shammydodger 12th Oct 19, 6:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    shammydodger
    Shell Energy Broadband First Bill Shambles inc. VAT Added On
    I signed up to their Superfast Fibre and Landline deal, via MSE link, for 31.99/mth, with promotional reduction of 9/mth and 75 bill credit to be paid on or about 31st December. I have a welcome email from them, dated 18th Sep 2019, that has all these salient details and that also contains a summary box of charges at the bottom that explicitly states that (excluding any call costs), the total monthly charges will be 22.99. In brackets below this figure is the all-important phrase: this includes VAT.
    My service went live on 3rd October.
    Imagine my unpleasant surprise when I received my first bill to discover that, for the period 3rd October to 8th November, they had charged me 27.59 which, itemised, consisted of 22.99 for my package and 4.60 VAT! By my own calculations, because the period was for longer than a calendar month, the total should actually have been 27.64, so I am 5p up on the deal. At the moment!
    I called their customer services and was speaking to them for 15 minutes, trying to explain my problem with the VAT, but he wouldn't listen to the point I was trying to make. "I've been 2 years in this job, I know what I'm talking about", he said. Well, tell me this, then, sunshine: why does your supposed clear-as-a-bell, itemised bill fail to show the charges broken down into (a) a service charge for a calendar month plus 6 days, VAT excluded and (b) the VAT for the same period? You've charged me, as far as I can tell, the flat monthly fee of 22.99 inclusive of VAT, PLUS an additional VAT charge of another 20%. The additional 6 days you seem to have forgotten about!
    Like I said, I'm currently 5p up on the deal by my reckoning, but my confidence that it will remain that way over the next 12 months has gone into hibernation if they can't see my issue with that.
    Oh, and the itemised bill didn't become visible unless I first viewed the email in my browser and then clicked on the link "View My Bill" embedded in that page. A direct Login to my account would only show a summary bill. Yes, very simple billing indeed!
    Last edited by shammydodger; 12-10-2019 at 6:54 PM.
    • lizardking
    • By lizardking 17th Oct 19, 10:23 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 362 Thanks
    lizardking
    If only I'd known in advance..

So the router as others have mentioned is terrible, it only comes with 4x100mbit ports which was a standard introduced in 1995 and the wireless is only 2.5ghz. Imagine a cheap router from 8+ years ago and you get the idea.

The prices listed in the MSE broadband checker don't actually match with what is on offer, looking at 12month Superfast Fibre Plus you have it listed as '29.99/mth Shell Energy Broadband line rental & broadband' when it is actually 36.99!

As for the billing this is my first one..

From 4th Oct to 8th Nov 2019
    • Caller display (in advance)

• Superfast Fibre Plus Broadband (in advance)

• Line rental (in advance)

• Promotional Discount 9

8.75credit
    • Package total27.21
    • Total before VAT

• VAT at 20%

Total charges:32.65

If anyone can work out how they have come up with any of those numbers I'll be impressed.

Oh and the worst part is they are a virtual broadband supplier and you are actually on the talktalk network.
    • mnbvcxz
    • By mnbvcxz 18th Oct 19, 5:15 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    mnbvcxz
    Lizard king, I think they are charging you 28 a month. What price were you expecting?

I based this on 28 for one month plus 4.60 for the extra four days. But it is hard to be sure what price the four days are based on.

I agree it is sneaky that you will end up paying 18 or 12 months at the discounted price but also an extra four days at the undiscounted price. But it is pennies in the end I guess.

So it's a bit of a guesstimate, was I close to something that makes sense?(
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 19th Oct 19, 4:40 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    In the T&Cs Shell say they won't be paying out till December, so ......
    Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 19th Oct 19, 4:46 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Recently signed up for the Shell deal and the speed seems to be OK. Previously with Sky based NowTV. I've found there isn't much to choose between suppliers. Customer service with Shell is very poor, but they have sorted out one problem and promised to sort another. It's just a pain to have to keep chasing and repeating the requests.
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 19th Oct 19, 4:56 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Like yourself I was disappointed by the first bill. Even allowing for three extra days the 19 odd just didn't add up. Shell eventually agreed their calculations weren't right and they would send a bacs to my bank. When I chased this I wad told it would take 10 days! Fingers crossed next month will.be for the quoted 16.99.

The 75 credit has also moved from Oct to Dec.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,016Posts Today

7,719Users online

Martin's Twitter