How to find out electricity supplier at new flat?

littlerock
littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
I am in the process of signing a contract to rent a flat. The agent took it on from the owners, who are not English and they went on holiday as soon as they had purchased it and left it for him to rent out. I am trying to find out the electricity supplier so that I can sign up for electricity at the flat when I move in shortly.

I am finding it impossible to find out who this is. I looked up ukpower networks online find out your supplier site and was referred to a map of the area but with no indication of who the power supplier was at the flat.

I then phoned up ukpowernetworks enquiries and got passed around a series of automated messages before being left hanging on a general enquiry route for ten minutes, with no sign I was likely to be answered.

Then I found another online query which claimed to identify your electricity supplier and MPAN number. However although there are 4 flats at the address where I am moving to (1,2,3,4) the only available flat number offered by this service is no 3. I am moving into flat no 2.

Anyone able to help?

Comments

• coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,669 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Try dialling 105 and see where that goes.
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    "Thank you for calling ukpowernetworks general enquiries. Our offices are now closed."
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Ask the agent to take you round and show you the electricity meter. Take a photo of the meter. Then you should have both starting reading and a meter serial no. Then I think you will have to persist with the distributor, I.e. UK Power Networks, to find out the supplier.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Have you tried this?

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/internet/en/help-and-advice/who-is-my-supplier/#itop

It worked second time for me (maybe the postcode needs to be in capitals?)
  • bwff
    bwff Posts: 30 Forumite
    littlerock wrote: »
    I am in the process of signing a contract to rent a flat. The agent took it on from the owners, who are not English and they went on holiday as soon as they had purchased it and left it for him to rent out. I am trying to find out the electricity supplier so that I can sign up for electricity at the flat when I move in shortly.

I am finding it impossible to find out who this is. I looked up ukpower networks online find out your supplier site and was referred to a map of the area but with no indication of who the power supplier was at the flat.

I then phoned up ukpowernetworks enquiries and got passed around a series of automated messages before being left hanging on a general enquiry route for ten minutes, with no sign I was likely to be answered.

Then I found another online query which claimed to identify your electricity supplier and MPAN number. However although there are 4 flats at the address where I am moving to (1,2,3,4) the only available flat number offered by this service is no 3. I am moving into flat no 2.

Anyone able to help?

If, as you imply, the agent has been instructed by the landlord to manage the property and let it out, then ask the agent.

If the agent cannot tell you, then walk away.

If the agent cannot even get this simple task in hand, god knows what else they don't know how to do, or indeed just fail to do. (like pay the bill whilst the property is awaiting a tenant)
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    As a landlord, last time we changed tenants, we had to pay the utility bills during changeover and then the incoming tenants decide on a new supplier when they move in.
    So, is the current supplier relevant???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport