Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 21st Feb 05, 10:39 PM
    • 2,080Posts
    • 3,436Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Eating in Edinburgh
    • 21st Feb 05, 10:39 PM
    Eating in Edinburgh 21st Feb 05 at 10:39 PM
    Need ideas where to go for 18th birthday meal with daughter in Edinburgh. We eat all sorts of different foods, only barrier is a steakhouse/fish restaurant as I am a vegetarian, and they tend not to do too much in the veggie line. Nothing too posh, as silver service makes her nervous, but we love Italian, Indian, Mexican, practically anything really. Any ideas for us for central Edinburgh? Our hotel is just off Royal Mile, so old Town places would be good too.
    Any ideas please, as last thing I want to do after shopping is trail about looking for somewhere to eat!!!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 23-09-2008 at 2:56 PM.
Page 9
    • smitchy73
    • By smitchy73 13th Oct 11, 1:52 PM
    • 1,801 Posts
    • 3,524 Thanks
    smitchy73
    Darios on Lothian Road is amazing. I think a few people dismiss it as it is attached to a chip shop. The staff are great, food is yummy and the whole experience is amazing.

Last time I was there my LO was asleep so we didn't order him anything thinking he would sleep right through. He woke up near the end and the waiter brought him garlic bread, followed by ice cream all free of charge. They were brilliant with kids aswell.

TBH its the only resteraunt where I feel the service is good enough to leave a tip!
    Originally posted by nikki2804
    Is this the place jut up from the Crowne Plaze, tried it once before the chippy part late on after a gig and had chips n cheese and it was in a paper/foil bag, was amazing, may check out as going back next week for a couple of days, this time with kids in tow
    Only got a couple of nights eating to worry about but will be very tempted to try this place.
    2015/16 - 200 High Street Vouchers/Vodafone Prize pack+Beats Headphones(600)
    Thanks to all the comp posters.
    • Bean Counter
    • By Bean Counter 15th Dec 11, 4:39 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    Bean Counter
    Hi,

Apologies as I have not read through the thread but would appreciate some suggestions of somewhere to go for Sunday lunch in centre of Edinburgh. We will have been round the German market etc.

Not looking for a big meal, but have one autistic son to cater for and as long as they do chicken nuggets & chips or fish & chips we will be fine. Fast food places are a definate no!

Thanks in advance.
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life
    • GhostWarrior
    • By GhostWarrior 21st Dec 11, 8:34 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    GhostWarrior

Alexander Graham Bell on George Street is a really nice Wetherspoon, quite quiet as well.
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 4th Apr 12, 6:41 PM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    My goodness, surprised to see that this thread that I started, is still alive after all this time. My daughter is now 25 years old and married. Where has the time gone?

Thought I would pop in again and see what suggestions that you have for a daughter and mother "girlie" (I use the term very loosely in my case ), couple of days in Edinburgh in June? Been so long since I have been there, as been living in Cyprus for a few years now. Popping back to Scotland for a family wedding, so daughter and myself are treating ourselves, as we so loved our girlie weekends, and don't get the chance nowadays.

Still love all kinds of food, still vegetarian, daughter isn't, but likes veggie food. At least these days you can get veggie food anywhere, so not a big problem. Just like to hear of any really good bars/restaurants. We are staying in the old town, so would prefer eateries in that area. (I'm not getting any younger, and will have enough bother battling with the ups and downs in the old town, without walking miles elsewhere. )
    • mvteng
    • By mvteng 5th Apr 12, 9:05 AM
    • 484 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    mvteng
    As you say, veggie generally isnt a problem anymore

David Banns is a purely veggie restaurant, its pretty modern food / decor & preety nice upmarket http://www.davidbann.com/

However, my new favourite restaurant (which caters very well for my veggie wife) is Hamams http://www.hanams.com/. Decor is basic, but food is amazing & very good value.

For italian, missoni is a new addition & is really really nice food, generally pretty expensive, but it is a nice experience, & they're often of 5pm.co.uk

All would need a reservation for fridays or saturdays.

Hope you enjoy
    Last edited by mvteng; 05-04-2012 at 9:10 AM.
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 5th Apr 12, 1:13 PM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Thank you very much Mvteng, just what I was looking for. Hanam's looks just the ticket, will definitely look that up. Interesting to see the shisha pipe. Not seen that being offered before in Scotland, but very common in North Cyprus and Turkey.

Have been to Bann's in the past, and it's always been good. Missoni sounds lovely, so may give that a try. I don't know why, but Italian restaurants always seem to be expensive, no matter where they are....apart from maybe Italy.

Thanks again, you have been most helpful.
    • mvteng
    • By mvteng 11th Apr 12, 3:42 PM
    • 484 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    mvteng
    If you go to Hanams, remember its BYOB
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 15th Apr 12, 11:35 PM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Thanks, yes I noticed that. Will pass on info to daughter, so that she reminds me nearer the time.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 22nd Apr 12, 10:10 PM
    • 3,607 Posts
    • 40,651 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Found nice little cafe today on rose street (the rose bud? something rose themed) 3.95 for lunch time special which today was steak and ale pie with mash, fish chips and mushy peas, kedgeree or um something else. DD had pie, I had kedgeree, both good.
    • gothrockchic1
    • By gothrockchic1 25th Nov 12, 9:36 AM
    • 1,953 Posts
    • 5,744 Thanks
    gothrockchic1
    For all of the Vegetarians (I am one) The Old Hoose is great place for veggie food and has large portions which is cheap!
    Make 2018 in 2018 No.11 325.34 /2018
    • maggiesoup
    • By maggiesoup 11th May 15, 11:45 AM
    • 589 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    maggiesoup
    Vietnamese food
    Still think the Pho House bottom of Grove Street (5 mins Haymarket Station) is great value for money and staff are lovely. It's a wee place (approx 30 covers) only opens in the evenings but authentic food.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 22nd Aug 17, 11:51 AM
    • 9,554 Posts
    • 10,075 Thanks
    pogofish
    We had a rather excellent meal at Laila's Bistro near the top of Cockburn St last weekend. Its a new place on me as I've not been into the centre of Edinburgh for a while.

http://lailas-bistro.co.uk

Not the cheapest place of course - considering its location/time of year - 70 for a full meal for two adults and two kids but a pleasant interior, away from the hubbub outside, with really nice young staff who pulled-out the stops to make it a bit special for the boy's birthday. Still unlicensed, the corkage was reasonable and we got a quid-off a bottle of wine from the offie across the road by mentioning their name.

The night before, Mrs Fish and I escaped the kids for a while and had a splendid curry in the Passage to India at the top of Leith Walk - a small place, more or less opposite the Playhouse.

An absolutely splendid curry and pretty reasonable too-boot!
    Last edited by pogofish; 22-08-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

644Posts Today

7,144Users online

Martin's Twitter