Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 21st Feb 05, 10:39 PM
    • 2,080Posts
    • 3,436Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Eating in Edinburgh
    • 21st Feb 05, 10:39 PM
    Eating in Edinburgh 21st Feb 05 at 10:39 PM
    Need ideas where to go for 18th birthday meal with daughter in Edinburgh. We eat all sorts of different foods, only barrier is a steakhouse/fish restaurant as I am a vegetarian, and they tend not to do too much in the veggie line. Nothing too posh, as silver service makes her nervous, but we love Italian, Indian, Mexican, practically anything really. Any ideas for us for central Edinburgh? Our hotel is just off Royal Mile, so old Town places would be good too.
    Any ideas please, as last thing I want to do after shopping is trail about looking for somewhere to eat!!!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 23-09-2008 at 2:56 PM.
Page 2
  • Edinburghlass
    It sounded like a great w/end for you both Anne_Marie and lots of good ideas for other people to read.

Can you update us on the present and birthday cake too
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 9th Mar 05, 10:05 PM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Thanks Cat72 and Edinburghlass. Sorry forgot to update about the pressie and cake (shame on me!) Apart from the fortune spent in Edinburgh, got her simple aquamarine white gold solitaire, which she absolutely loves, it went down very well. Also a gothic gown, which she had picked herself, so obviously delighted with that. Cake done at Asda, sneaked photograph from her room, surprised she didn't notice that one, her favourite Gwen Stefani signed photo. Was thrilled with the cake which cost under a tenner, and only took about 10 mins. Little one was so thrilled she burst into tears, and had to re-do her make-up! Ordered balloons via link on this site, and they were included in every photograph taken. Her Dad got her a lovely bunch of flowers - don't think he is a meanie, we bought all her pressies, but the flowers just from him, as he is out of the country just now. Poor man may have to stay away a bit longer to pay for all this expense! Forgot to say that I was treated to Sunday lunch for Mother's Day, and she did pay for the bottle of wine too. I expect that will be the last drink she will buy me for quite some time! Also did use thesilvercard and saved over 6 at Frankensteins, so was well worth getting it, and no doubt will be able to use it lots more. Think that was the only money saving bit of the whole weekend, oh and we brought back the bottle of champagne we had taken with us ...... we were too tired to drink it! It will keep for another day!
    We popped into the National Museum of Scotland for a little while, I just can't resist going there, it is so fascinating. Worth it just to see the Millenium clock, and its free.
    Still haven't managed to pluck up the courage to go on one of the ghost tours. I was spooked enough years ago in broad daylight in Greyfriars graveyard, had really bad feeling and had to get out of there. Found out a bit later was at the mausoleum of Bloody Mackenzie who had put hundreds of Covenanters to their death. Never had the courage to go back, what a woose I am! Did pass by on Monday, and said we should go as it was such a beautiful day, but got sidetracked (possibly deliberately!). Anyway, one of these days........
    Thanks again to all, what wonderful people you all are.
  • Edinburghlass
    As there were some great places for eating in Edinburgh posted here I am going to make it a sticky
  • crichierules
    Thought i'd add my experience. I stayed at the Holiday Inn on Leith walk (just 5 mins from Princes St).
    The nearest pub from there was the Wetherspoons (attached to the cinema complex) directly across the street. Between nine of us, all the food was great and pretty cheap. All 9 of us had pints or bottles and 18 pounds covered a round which is the cheapest we found all weekend.
    Also spent time in Frankensteins at night and the atmosphere was magic, no food but fun all the same.
    Found a small pub called Acanthas which is just off Princes St at the west end of the station but can't remember the street. That had a great atmosphere and nice decor etc.
    • matthwnm
    • By matthwnm 15th Apr 05, 8:02 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    matthwnm
    Greek restaurant in Edinburgh? Santorini?
    Hi all

Thanks for the great ideas in this thread, will try some out.

My fiancee and I are spending a few days in Edinburgh later in the year. We particularlt like Greek food and our we've found that there is a restaurant called Santorini (and its close to where we will be staying). Has anybody tried this or any other Greek restaurant in Edinburgh? What did you think?

Thanks all

Matthew
    Last edited by matthwnm; 28-04-2005 at 7:10 AM.
  • coolbreezes
    I use 5pm regularly thanks and it has great offers and sample menus.

Didnt know about the silver card but thanks to you I do now and just about to apply for it. Many thanks
    • IvanOpinion
    • By IvanOpinion 6th Sep 05, 11:55 AM
    • 20,032 Posts
    • 19,864 Thanks
    IvanOpinion
    Got to say that I was amazed at the number of 'all you can eat' places in Edinburgh ... just wish I had have had a few more days to fit them in.

The one we did try was the all you can eat chinese restaurant 'Jimmy Cheungs'. I have had better chinese food but for a simple buffet banquet boith DW and I were very impressed, a great selection of dishes for starters, and main course and some simple desserts ... I made a little piglet of myself.

Owing to a simple accident by a waiter .. namely spilling a small amount of ice cold water down my back (certainly made me jump) ... they removed the charge for all drinks from our bill ... whoohoo.

Like crichierules we also stayed in the Holiday Inn Express, excellent rooms and decent continental breakfast (I was warned not to take a room at the front because they can be noisey.

Ivan

PS: One other things about your street beggars. We threw a few pence at a girl with a dog and the next day we saw the same girl dressed up a bit (with same dog) walking down the street with several big bags of clothes ... ever had the feeling you were had? Next time the clown in the lime green outfit and the drum gets the money.
    Last edited by IvanOpinion; 06-09-2005 at 12:13 PM.
    Ivan has left the building ... but reserves the right of reply!
    Use PM to keep in touch
  • Edinburghlass
    And don't forget Benny's (sp) down the Royal Mile for positively the best bag of chips to be had at midnight
    • IvanOpinion
    • By IvanOpinion 8th Sep 05, 12:18 PM
    • 20,032 Posts
    • 19,864 Thanks
    IvanOpinion
    And don't forget Benny's (sp) down the Royal Mile for positively the best bag of chips to be had at midnight
    by Edinburghlass
    Its all in who buys them and what the girls are checking out while they are being cooked.

Ivan
    Ivan has left the building ... but reserves the right of reply!
    Use PM to keep in touch
  • norman
    eating in edinburgh
    walk up past the KINGS THEATRE , past the BP Station there is a VG small

Chinese Restaurant (forget the name) they have super VEGGIE & other

choices AND ARE VERY reasonable-- "PANDA INN" just remembered!!

THE CLAY OVEN approx 900 metres further on , at CHURCHILL is about

the best INDO-PAK restaurant of about 80 in EDINBURGH & have VG

veggie options. I have eaten @ both for over 15 years
    Last edited by norman; 21-03-2006 at 8:18 AM. Reason: just remembered
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • Vital Spark
    IS (International Starters) in Commercial Quay fronting onto the Scottish Executive Offices is ideal for both herbies and carnies. Staff and atmosphere friendly but be sure to tell them that one of the group is veggie and that you want the veggie dishes served along with teh carnies. The order comes in waves.

Ask Fraser or Kerry to sing happy birthday as they bring the cake out. Tee hee hee!
    Last edited by Vital Spark; 29-10-2005 at 3:26 PM.
    • MINMOUSE
    • By MINMOUSE 29th Oct 05, 6:56 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    MINMOUSE
    Vittoria's restaurant is amazing, I went there with friends a few weeks ago and was bowled over. I have been a veggie since I was 12 and am so used to been giving very little choice when dining out but the selection was hige, service brilliant and really well priced

http://www.vittoriarestaurant.com/
  • Mark LJ
    I appreciate that this is mainly a vegetarian thread but as its been turned into a sticky for places to eat in Edinburgh I thought I'd add my favourite if thats ok. Its actually a steak restaurant called McKirdys Steak House in Morrison Street. Service is fast and friendly - the steaks themselves are tremendous. They also do a wonderful haggis, which I believe they've won awards for.
    • Flossiesdoll
    • By Flossiesdoll 3rd Feb 06, 10:25 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Flossiesdoll
    If you want Indian, Suruchi and The Kalpna are fantastic. David Bann's and Black Bo's are good, and I really like Fenwick, which isn't vegetarian but always has a good veggie option.
    • Flossiesdoll
    • By Flossiesdoll 3rd Feb 06, 10:28 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Flossiesdoll
    My fiancee and I are spending a few days in Edinburgh later in the year. We particularlt like Greek food and our we've found that there is a restaurant called Santorini (and its close to where we will be staying). Has anybody tried this or any other Greek restaurant in Edinburgh? What did you think?
    by matthwnm
    I've been in a couple of times and really liked it, very authentic.

Someone mentioned Acanthus - Acanthus is long gone. It's Jimmy Chung's Chinese buffet now.
  • competitionscafe
    I second the recommendations for David Banns and Urban Angel.

Spoon on Blackfriars Street (off Royal Mile) is a very good choice for lunch or brunch.

Fishers on Thistle Street is good for Seafood and the Thai restaurant opposite Fishers is good too.

Another great spot for lunch is La Cuisine d'Odile in the basement of the French Institute (13 Randolph Crescent, West End) - bit of an Edinburgh 'secret' this one (You wouldn't know it was there if you walked past) and they do a 2 course lunch for 6.95 I think it is - good homely French cooking.

Other good places:

Bellini, La Bruschetta, Circus Caf! Deli, The First Coast, La Garrigue,
    Keepers, Martin Wishart, Namaste, La Partenope, Plaisir du Chocolat, Rincon de Espana, Rogue, Le Caf! St Honore, Skippers Bistro, Sweet Melinda's, Valvona & Crolla.

More ideas:
    http://www.finewinediary.com/restaurants/edguide.shtml
    Last edited by competitionscafe; 14-03-2006 at 4:47 PM.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • norman
    If you want Indian, Suruchi and The Kalpna are fantastic. David Bann's and Black Bo's are good, and I really like Fenwick, which isn't vegetarian but always has a good veggie option.
    by Flossiesdoll

IF you like Suruchi & Kalpna`s , you WILL LOVE "The CLAY OVEN"

@ Churchill (Morningside)
  • Edinburghlass
    Can certainly recommend Maxies Bistro and Wine Bar, Johnston Terrace or Victoria Terrace depending on which entrance you use.

Had a lovely meal here last night and couldn't have asked for friendlier service.
    Nothing was too much trouble and a special cheesy pasta was quickly rustled up for my daughter who wasn't too keen on the menu. Chef Norman has kids himself and knew straight away what to offer!

The special was fillet steak with brie and it went down really well as did the deep fried crispy brie

Located very near to the Castle, good for lunch or worth trying before the Witchery Tour at 9.30 pm.

www.maxies.co.uk
  • norman
    ref the above
    I forgot to mention "The Back Stage Bistro" - just round the corner from the King`s Theatre (in Valleyfield Street) EH3 Small but GOOD -- May have to book. Go across to the "Scotmid" store and buy a bottle of wine. Look for their "Specials" I bought a VG french bottle, reduced from 5 to 3. Take it to the Bistro-- they do BYOB. AND when standing @ that corner & look up towards the BP Station & see "The Panda Inn" -- SUPERB small but good "Chinese" Restaurant. They have alcohol!
  • Nessie1702
    For all those folk that love steak, try the "Buffalo Grill". There are two branches, Chapel Street and Raeburn Place, Stockbridge. They also do veggie options

We always go to the Chapel Street branch and the staff there are really friendly and welcoming, the food is great, and its BYOB with £1 corkage - makes for a reasonable day out!

http://www.buffalogrill.co.uk/Main.htm
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,966Posts Today

8,288Users online

Martin's Twitter