Credit card v paypal

I'm considering making a £600ish online purchase from a company trading in the UK, and the checkout has two options:
Sign-into Paypal account or continue as guest.

Is there any difference in the protection using a credit card through a paypal account versus inputting credit card details as a guest? As a guest, am I relying on protection from the credit card company?

Comments

• If you use Paypal, you won't be entitled to the same S75 protection you would have if paying directly by credit card. It doesn't matter if you buy as a guest or whether you sign up for an account - personally I'd always opt for paying by credit card.
  • Nicholas
    Nicholas Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 September 2019 at 5:43PM
    If you use Paypal, you won't be entitled to the same S75 protection you would have if paying directly by credit card. It doesn't matter if you buy as a guest or whether you sign up for an account - personally I'd always opt for paying by credit card.

So if I pay as a paypal guest using a credit card I get full S75 protection?

Edit: I've re-read what you wrote and I think you are saying avoid paypal altogether? Bit difficult with this company because that is the only payment method offered. I suppose I will have to decide if I want to do business with them at all.
  • Personally, if I am purchasing anything of significant value (£100 or over) then I will always use a credit card and actively avoid PayPal...So if a company only has a PayPal option to pay for something valued over £100, then I will look elsewhere, even if it means paying a bit more...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Do not go as guest. It means you miss out on paypal protection...
    Life in the slow lane
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 20 September 2019 at 8:22PM
    You won't get s75 protection either way as continuing as a guest will just mean that you are using the credit card to fund paypal and transferring the funds using paypal without having a paypal account/without using your paypal account.

Is this a genuine UK company? This scenario where the website offers a choice of payment by paypal or payment by credit card which then takes you to a page which allows you to use paypal as a guest when you click on the pay by credit card link is familiar to me and is used by Chinese individuals masquerading as a UK company. Beware. A .co.uk domain name means NOTHING.
  • Ben8282 wrote: »
    Is this a genuine UK company? This scenario where the website offers a choice of payment by paypal or payment by credit card which then takes you to a page which allows you to use paypal as a guest when you click on the pay by credit card link is familiar to me and is used by Chinese individuals masquerading as a UK company. Beware. A .co.uk domain name means NOTHING.

They seem to be UK based
    ABOUT
    futeko.com was established in 2010 to sell the best of.. FUTure Entertainment teKhnOlogy. :)

Our core business has always been leading edge media playback devices, from the early Sigma/Realtek dedicated media players to the current Android based multi-purpose media boxes.

Our base and stock is in Manchester, UK.

We are wholly owned by the UK Limited Company SDHDIGITAL LTD. Registered in England #GB7129250. We are GB VAT registered.

Registered Office:

SDHDIGITAL LTD,
    Unit 200,
    275 Deansgate,
    Manchester,
    M3 4EL,
    United Kingdom.

They're mentioned alot on AVForums website, and their prices undercut Amazon by a fair bit. It's because they are cheaper and only use Paypal is why I am a bit wary.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 21 September 2019 at 2:10AM
    I do not wish to attempt to make a determination as to if this is a genuine UK company or not.
    However, I find it strange that their entire range of stock consists of 16 items.
    I also very much do not like the way that the various credit card symbols are displayed but when you cli9ck on them you are taken to the paypal payment page.This is the same as the fake Chinese websites and, again like the fake Chinese websites, gives no idea at this stage of the name of the company or person that the payment is being made to..
    I think in your case, assuming the saving is significant, I would first order one of the very low value items such as the UK/Europe adaptor plug at £8.99. You may not want it but one day it might come in hamdy so it wouldn't be a complete waste of money. When you get the paypal receipt e-mail after making the payment by credit card, you will be able to see where the money has gone. If it has gone to an individual with a Chinese sounding name or to the UK company named. You will also see how long it takes to receive the plug and if it has been dispatched in the UK or China.

I would like to add that there is nothing wrong, as such, with buying goods from Chinese individuals based in china providing that you do so knowingly and not as a result of such individuals pretending to be a UK company. In the case of my own experience the item in question, of relatively low value, was eventually received after a delay of a few weeks, and was posted in China. The item worked and was as described.

But irrespective of if this is a genuine UK company or not there will be NO s75 protection on this type of payment.
  • What are you buying?
  • Ironically, since I started this thread, Amazon have dropped some of their prices. :rotfl:
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    19 Jan 2010 Incorporation
    Model articles adopted (Amended Provisions)

Well they have been registered on companies house since the above date. Seem to be be run by a individual.
    Which could explain the limited numbers of products sold. As well as why they use paypal and not a merchant bank which would charge a lot more.
    Life in the slow lane
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport