Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jen.
    • By Jen. 13th Sep 19, 10:37 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Jen.
    AMOMA.com Closure and Upcoming Bookings
    • 13th Sep 19, 10:37 PM
    AMOMA.com Closure and Upcoming Bookings 13th Sep 19 at 10:37 PM
    Today I received the following email from AMOMA.com
    ďCease trading notification

Your booking will probably be cancelled by our suppliers.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Dear Clients,

Since its creation, AMOMA has always strived, with success, to find the best value for money for its customers.

Entities that claim to act as "price comparators" are, in effect, media agencies that redirect consumers to entities like ours against paying a cost per click. These media agencies are sometimes owned by companies operating in the same segment as ours, which has a negative impact on free competition. They are currently in a dominant position in the market and we think that this is to the detriment of the end consumers. Indeed, having taken the place that is theirs today, these entities unilaterally impose unsustainable financial conditions for us, because we work at the fair price to benefit our customers, not to benefit these media agencies.

The result is a market concentration in which only a very small circle of majors Online Travel Agencies can survive. You probably also know that the public authorities are currently opening investigation procedures against these entities, notably in Australia, Spain - and most recently, as reported in the press, in the United States.

However, these commercial practices that are unilaterally imposed on us make the continuation of our activities impossible. We therefore regret to have to inform you of the cessation of our activities, with immediate effect.

For those who have booked rooms via our website:
    Contact the reserved hotel to inquire about the provision of the service.
    Contact your payment institution or your travel insurance.
    While we regret to have to announce the above, we send you, Ladies and Gentlemen, Dear Clients, our best regards. ď
    In April this year, I made a booking for the Hilton Leeds for 2 nights in December. This booking was paid in full at the time £144.
    I have already contacted the hotel to confirm if the booking has been cancelled, if it has - how do I go about getting this money refunded? I guess AMOMA wonít be refunding me... I paid using my Capital One credit card, am I likely to receive a refund from them?
Page 6
    • smileykay
    • By smileykay 19th Sep 19, 9:51 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    smileykay
    Confirmed booking and payment
    I booked through Amoma in August for a stay in Feb 2020 in Rio during carnival.

I have contacted the hotel on 17th September and they have emailed saying hotel booking is confirmed and paid for.

As it's during carnival, and hasn't been cancelled so can't claim back money or indeed cancel as Amoma are no longer trading, I am a bit worried about what could still happen based on some of the posts on this forum.

1. Hotel could still cancelled. I intend to check again before our stay
    2. Hotel says it's paid for but I can't tell if hotel has been paid. If they have, great. If they haven't and attempt when we check-in, I doubt we could afford inflated rack rates during carnival.
    3. I can book another hotel on free cancellation terms but normally cancellation is only until day before check-in.

Any ideas?
    • born again
    • By born again 19th Sep 19, 11:45 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    born again
    I booked through Amoma in August for a stay in Feb 2020 in Rio during carnival.

I have contacted the hotel on 17th September and they have emailed saying hotel booking is confirmed and paid for.

Any ideas?
    Originally posted by smileykay
    You have 120 days to make a chargeback via Visa from the date of debit, or where it is a future based event (such as this) 120 days from the date of your stay. So long as it is less than 540 days from the actual debit date.
    I would expect Mastercard to be the same timescales.

If the hotel say they have been paid then you should be OK. Just be aware if you book another room and your original one is available. You could end up paying for 2...
    • SueGos
    • By SueGos 19th Sep 19, 4:15 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SueGos
    Hotel says reservation still active
    Hi
    We have a booking in Nice for the end of October through Amoma. The hotel says the reservation is still active but through Hotel Beds. They invoice after our stay they have said. So the hotel hasnít cancelled but Iím worried we will arrive and it wonít be honoured. I have emailed Hotel Beds on generic form several times but no reply. Any advice? My instinct is to book another room and put a claim in with the credit card anyway.
    Thanks!
    • Therealalig
    • By Therealalig 20th Sep 19, 10:09 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Therealalig
    Our current stay in Spain was cancelled by hotelbeds with the hotel, was booked through Amoma.
    I'd book again on credit card and request refund to be safe.
    • Higherbound
    • By Higherbound 21st Sep 19, 6:39 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Higherbound
    I had a hotel booking through Amoma this weekend. I contacted the hotel after receiving the "ceased trading" notice from Amoma and they confirmed the booking and the price. However, on arrival, the hotel said the supplier had cancelled the booking and that if I wanted the room, I would have to pay a different (and higher) price. Despite my protests, the hotel would not budge, and at 2am in the morning after an horrendous 18 hr journey, I had little choice but to accept.

I've already raised a chargeback/section 75 claim with my credit card company. Will this also cover the additional cost of the hotel?
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 21st Sep 19, 9:29 AM
    • 11,359 Posts
    • 14,056 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I've already raised a chargeback/section 75 claim with my credit card company. Will this also cover the additional cost of the hotel?
    Originally posted by Higherbound
    As I understand it, Section 75 claims can include consequential losses like this, but chargeback simply refunds the original payment.
    • tpl89
    • By tpl89 21st Sep 19, 3:41 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tpl89
    I didn't even get the e-mail from Amoma saying they had ceased trading, only found out when I wanted to check my booking documents on their website!

I contacted the hotel via twitter who confirmed to me that my booking had been cancelled so I've re-booked the hotel and have raised a dispute with my credit card provider. Fingers crossed, otherwise I'm £400 out of pocket.
    • SueGos
    • By SueGos 22nd Sep 19, 11:57 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SueGos
    Thanks
    Thanks, yes despite Hotel saying it is active, Iím sure it will be cancelled. I got a reply from hotel beds, they are just a technology platform, no customer services, no details of bookings etc. Will put claim in with credit card and book another hotel so we know we have got a hotel sorted!
    • Chino
    • By Chino 22nd Sep 19, 1:00 PM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 746 Thanks
    Chino
    Will put claim in with credit card
    Originally posted by SueGos
    And what is it that you will claim for? Your change of mind?

You have already said:
    The hotel says the reservation is still active
    Originally posted by SueGos
    • SueGos
    • By SueGos 22nd Sep 19, 9:04 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SueGos
    And what is it that you will claim for? Your change of mind?

You have already said:
    Originally posted by Chino
    I certainly havenít changed my mind, Amoma have gone bust, have taken our money and we know the hotel has not yet had their money. I doubt they are going to get their money so it will get cancelled. Many people have been saying they have arrived to find the booking cancelled and the hotel are charging a lot more. A reservation being active isnít guaranteeing us anything as many others have said. We are travelling with our 4 year old daughter so being without a hotel is not an option. I would very much like to simply stay in the hotel room that I have booked and paid for but there are no guarantees of that so, thanks but I havenít ďchanged my mindĒ. We will put a claim in with the credit card due to Amoma going bust, we may have to wait until we get confirmation of the cancellation but I have now booked another hotel so we definitely have accommodation.
    • jnarmstrong
    • By jnarmstrong 24th Sep 19, 9:27 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jnarmstrong
    Amoma booking
    Arrived at my hotel in Croatia to find out the booking I'd made (on the 10th Sept19, for a stay 22nd-29th Sept19) through Amoma.com had been cancelled by a company called Sunhotels.com on the 13th Sept19. I had no emails/correspondence from anyone before I arrived. I had printed all my confirmations and even contacted the hotel to make sure all was ok with the booking on the 11th Sept19, and the 1st I heard of Amoma going into liquidation was when I was trying to check into the hotel on Sunday to find out the booking had been cancelled. My travel insurance did not include cover for companies ceasing trading, so I contacted the bank (booked on credit card) and they have opened a dispute. Fortunately the hotel had a room for us (we have a 21 month old daughter) so we are having to pay the hotel directly again at their higher rates (hopefully covered by consequential loss?). Arriving on a Sunday wasn't helpful, neither was Thomas Cook also ceasing trading that next day. Stressful start to our holiday, and over 3 hours in phone calls trying to find out information. I hope all will be covered through the credit card protection, but really not sure. I hope other people get some information before they travel, and check your travel insurance for this kind of cover - it's not until you need it that you find out it's not necessarily a standard cover.
    • scotbruce
    • By scotbruce 24th Sep 19, 1:22 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    scotbruce
    Amoma ceased trading email received 13/09/19, Visa chargeback commenced with Tescobank 14/09/19, evidence supplied on 18/09/19 and full payment credited back to account on 24/09/19.

Well pleased, but just a shame I couldn’t claim for consequential loss (greater cost of re-booking hotel room) as per a Section 75 claim.
    • born again
    • By born again 24th Sep 19, 5:07 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    born again

Well pleased, but just a shame I couldnít claim for consequential loss (greater cost of re-booking hotel room) as per a Section 75 claim.
    Originally posted by scotbruce
    Any card provider will do a chargeback where that is a option.

What you need to do is submit a separate consequential loss claim under S75. If it was a case of having to pay more for the same room, then it should not be a issue. If you instead booked a much better room (say 5* instead of 1*) then expect to have a fight on your hands to prove just why you took that action.
    • Jen.
    • By Jen. 24th Sep 19, 5:22 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Jen.
    Update - Capital One Disputeís asked me to forward relevant information (I sent cease trading email, original booking email and confirmation from Hilton that the booking had been cancelled by AMOMA)
    Around 5 working days later I received a text to call them re Dispute. I was asked if I had ATOL protection or Insurance, I said I hadnít as this was just a couple of nights in a neighbouring city. It didnít seem to matter, so Iím not sure why I was asked... he told me within 48 hours I would receive a payment back into my account which the merchant (AMOMA?) has 90 days to Dispute. If not, the refund is mine.
    Seems a long wait but Iím confident AMOMA wonít challenge it.
    • scotbruce
    • By scotbruce 24th Sep 19, 5:53 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    scotbruce
    Any card provider will do a chargeback where that is a option.

What you need to do is submit a separate consequential loss claim under S75. If it was a case of having to pay more for the same room, then it should not be a issue. If you instead booked a much better room (say 5* instead of 1*) then expect to have a fight on your hands to prove just why you took that action.
    Originally posted by born again
    I was told that it had to be a chargeback, not an S75, cos it involved a 3rd party, i.e. Amoma.

Has anyone reading this thread had a similar situation and successfully claimed consequential loss, please?

Tia.
    • born again
    • By born again 24th Sep 19, 6:18 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    born again
    I was told that it had to be a chargeback, not an S75, cos it involved a 3rd party, i.e. Amoma.

Has anyone reading this thread had a similar situation and successfully claimed consequential loss, please?

Tia.
    Originally posted by scotbruce
    Who debited your card?

If it was amona then S75 is not applicable. If the original payment was to the hotel, then it would.

A chargeback will be actioned as that way the card provider does not have to pay. S75 means card provider gives you the money.
    • scotbruce
    • By scotbruce 24th Sep 19, 6:32 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    scotbruce
    Who debited your card?

If it was amona then S75 is not applicable. If the original payment was to the hotel, then it would.

A chargeback will be actioned as that way the card provider does not have to pay. S75 means card provider gives you the money.
    Originally posted by born again
    Yeah, it was Amoma, hence the chargeback, not S75.
    • CBurden20
    • By CBurden20 25th Sep 19, 9:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CBurden20
    I am also staying in the Titanic in Berlin in November, Iím just curious if you have heard anything from the hotel? I contacted them and they can still see my booking but they are not sure if it has been paid
    • nilsrune
    • By nilsrune 30th Sep 19, 8:34 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nilsrune
    Norwegian Bank
    My bank, Norwegian Bank, says they cannot decide on my charge back claim until VISA says OK. Norwegian Bank has forwarded my case to VISA after asking for proof of the bankruptcy and the cancellation. I cannot send more evidence than the notification from Amoma. My hotel is a ski hotel and is closed till the end of the year, so no reply from them. However, I've booked, but not paid, another hotel with a possibility to cancel 14 days ahead of arrival.These options comes with an extra charge, but I think it's worth it.
    • born again
    • By born again 30th Sep 19, 6:07 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    born again
    My bank, Norwegian Bank, says they cannot decide on my charge back claim until VISA says OK. Norwegian Bank has forwarded my case to VISA after asking for proof of the bankruptcy and the cancellation. I cannot send more evidence than the notification from Amoma.
    Originally posted by nilsrune
    ????

https://www.amoma.com

Has the proof you need to provide to the bank.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

62Posts Today

2,918Users online

Martin's Twitter