Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 8th Sep 19, 6:22 AM
    • 7,418Posts
    • 10,794Thanks
    surfsister
    0 WOW
    Copenhagen any tips?
    • 8th Sep 19, 6:22 AM
    0 WOW
    Copenhagen any tips? 8th Sep 19 at 6:22 AM
    Soon going to Copenhagen any tips? places to go/ bus trips or tickets for a day/week/ good eating places/ free things too do etc.

thanks
Page 1
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 8th Sep 19, 7:01 AM
    • 883 Posts
    • 1,081 Thanks
    ibizafan
    • 8th Sep 19, 7:01 AM
    • 8th Sep 19, 7:01 AM
    The best place to look is Tripadvisor. Weíre going there in a couple of weeks on a cruise, and are hoping to do a walking tour. Again, Tripadvisor is a great starting point. I have also got the guide book Top 10 Copenhagen.
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 8th Sep 19, 7:19 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 8th Sep 19, 7:19 AM
    • 8th Sep 19, 7:19 AM
    Our local library has plenty of up to date travel guides which are a good starting point.

A lot depends on how well stocked your library is nowadays.

As mentioned above, the Top 10 guides are very useful. If possible just take the library book with you.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 8th Sep 19, 7:46 AM
    • 8,383 Posts
    • 6,986 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 8th Sep 19, 7:46 AM
    • 8th Sep 19, 7:46 AM
    Top tip. Have a healthy bank balance.

Great city for walking. Boat trip is worthwhile. If you get bored jump on a train to Malmo.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 8th Sep 19, 8:02 AM
    • 8,722 Posts
    • 5,460 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 8th Sep 19, 8:02 AM
    • 8th Sep 19, 8:02 AM
    Last time I was there I used a pre-Airbnb type site to book an apartment in someone's house in a suburb for a week. Option of a bit of self-catering can save a lot. It was a 20 min 'commute' to the city centre each day. Malmo in Sweden is well worth a visit. Meals out are really expensive, I think a huge salad in one of the cafes overlooking the quaint harbour was the best possible value, even all the locals were getting them.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 8th Sep 19, 8:16 AM
    • 26,796 Posts
    • 70,562 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 8th Sep 19, 8:16 AM
    • 8th Sep 19, 8:16 AM
    Tivoli Gardens are wonderful. The oldest theme park, with modern rides inside the beautiful old exteriors.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 8th Sep 19, 8:31 AM
    • 2,205 Posts
    • 2,038 Thanks
    Ballard
    • 8th Sep 19, 8:31 AM
    • 8th Sep 19, 8:31 AM
    If you have time you can take a train up to Helsingor to see the castle which Shakespeare used in Hamlet. An excellent stop on the way would be he Louisiana Museum of Modern Art.

Another out of town trip that I enjoyed was to Roskilde.

I donít think that either of these trips was a huge distance.

Within the city itself Christiania was a bit of an eye opener.

As has already been mentioned, itís far from a cheap city.

(I think that youíve put this in the wrong thread. Youíre more likely to get responses in the general overseas thread if you can get it moved)
    I hate verisimilitude.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 9th Sep 19, 6:24 AM
    • 7,418 Posts
    • 10,794 Thanks
    surfsister
    • 9th Sep 19, 6:24 AM
    • 9th Sep 19, 6:24 AM
    thanks all excellent advice yes air b and b or uni accommodation looks good. yes have 3 books from library now!!

Malmo sounds great & salad in square & castle. thanks all.

Wonder if mods could move to correct place as don't know how or where to ask?

Wonder if there is a runaround all in ticket for bus/train?

off to work to read my books!
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 9th Sep 19, 6:25 AM
    • 7,418 Posts
    • 10,794 Thanks
    surfsister
    • 9th Sep 19, 6:25 AM
    • 9th Sep 19, 6:25 AM
    Last time I was there I used a pre-Airbnb type site to book an apartment in someone's house in a suburb for a week. Option of a bit of self-catering can save a lot. It was a 20 min 'commute' to the city centre each day. Malmo in Sweden is well worth a visit. Meals out are really expensive, I think a huge salad in one of the cafes overlooking the quaint harbour was the best possible value, even all the locals were getting them.
    Originally posted by buglawton
    luckily flight was £12 return but may live on salads!!
    • JGB1955
    • By JGB1955 9th Sep 19, 6:32 AM
    • 355 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    JGB1955
    You can buy a City Pass Small, covering all buses, boats and trains within the inner zones for 200DKK for 72 hours. A pass covering most of Zealand is double that cost. https://dinoffentligetransport.dk/citypass

If you want to go to Malmo, Flixbus is really cheap. I'm going to Copenhagen in a couple of weeks and my return bus trip to Sweden has cost me less than £10.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 9th Sep 19, 7:50 AM
    • 26,796 Posts
    • 70,562 Thanks
    pollypenny
    thanks all excellent advice yes air b and b or uni accommodation looks good. yes have 3 books from library now!!

Malmo sounds great & salad in square & castle. thanks all.

Wonder if mods could move to correct place as don't know how or where to ask?

Wonder if there is a runaround all in ticket for bus/train?

off to work to read my books!
    Originally posted by surfsister

We didn't find Copenhagen much more expensive than London.

If you make it to Helsingborg there's a smashing street food place in a warehouse right by the old dock, now a museum.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 10th Sep 19, 1:03 PM
    • 7,137 Posts
    • 5,624 Thanks
    ohreally
    Where's the deal?
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3408003
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 19th Sep 19, 5:23 PM
    • 7,418 Posts
    • 10,794 Thanks
    surfsister
    So far the deals is £10 return to Malmo, a city pass for transport, and cheap salad in the square. I did ask mods to move this to correct place but nothing happened so e are discussing anyway. Thanks guys.
    • jaybeetoo
    • By jaybeetoo 28th Sep 19, 10:17 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    jaybeetoo
    The ebikes for rent are a great way to see the city. They have a big screen with Google maps. If you don’t know what to see, the have pre-prepared tour routes.

https://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/bycyklen-gdk495345
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 28th Sep 19, 10:42 PM
    • 17,739 Posts
    • 13,854 Thanks
    hollydays
    Try the speciality chocolate liquorice , sounds horrible but is really nice.
    Don't jaywalk. The Danes like to follow rules and never do it.
    • in my wellies
    • By in my wellies 28th Sep 19, 11:30 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 764 Thanks
    in my wellies
    When on a cruise we did a bicycle tour in English which lasted around two hours and covered all the main sights in the city. The whole city is very bike friendly. Since then my son has moved there.

An early morning (before the crowds) walk up the Round Tower (Rundetarn) gives a great view of the city for about £3. The Botanical Garden is free but there is a charge for the Palm House.
    Interesting 'foodie' market across the main road from the main Metro station.
    I've walked to all the attractions within the city very easily - it's a small city with little traffic, having said that I'm not in a hurry to pack in as much as I can
    If buying a single Metro ticket from the airport to the city center the machine only accepts cards or coins, not notes. I thought everyone traveled with cards but on two occasions I've helped couples who only had notes.

Try the speciality chocolate liquorice , sounds horrible but is really nice.
    Don't jaywalk. The Danes like to follow rules and never do it.
    Originally posted by hollydays
    Very true. Jaywalking also includes cycle paths
    Last edited by in my wellies; 28-09-2019 at 11:34 PM.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 2nd Oct 19, 11:26 AM
    • 5,511 Posts
    • 3,939 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 2nd Oct 19, 4:38 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 1,081 Thanks
    ibizafan
    We were there last week as we were on a Baltic Cruise. We did a free walking tour which was 90 minutes and called the Classical Tour. There is another at 11.am called the Grand Tour which takes three hours. We didnít get there in time for that one. The Classical tour ends at the indoor food market, where two smorgasbord sandwiches and a pint of beer cost £29. Very tasty though!
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 2nd Oct 19, 8:02 PM
    • 4,413 Posts
    • 54,923 Thanks
    camelot1001
    The Church of Our Saviour is well worth a visit. You can climb the outside of the spire for fantastic views.

Not for the faint hearted!
    • benjus
    • By benjus 3rd Oct 19, 1:02 PM
    • 5,317 Posts
    • 3,273 Thanks
    benjus
    I second the recommendation for the Louisiana Museum - it is a wonderful place. You can buy a combined entry and rail ticket at the main railway station in Copenhagen - saves a bit of money, as well as having to queue for a ticket when you arrive at the museum.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

40Posts Today

3,686Users online

Martin's Twitter