Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lw373
    • By lw373 12th Sep 19, 7:07 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 2Thanks
    lw373
    Paying off part of balance (whilst having DD setup for full balance)
    • 12th Sep 19, 7:07 PM
    Paying off part of balance (whilst having DD setup for full balance) 12th Sep 19 at 7:07 PM
    Hi all,

This is probably a stupid question but I wanted to make sure anyway

I wanted to make a small payment to pay off some of my balance on my card but I also have a DD set up to pay the full balance (this will go through no issues later this month). Will making a small payment show up negatively on my credit score/report at all? I was worried it would indicate an inability to pay off the balance (even though the balance will be paid off on the due date).

Like I said, silly question but I just wanted to check.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 12th Sep 19, 7:12 PM
    • 4,380 Posts
    • 3,912 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 12th Sep 19, 7:12 PM
    • 12th Sep 19, 7:12 PM
    ...I wanted to make a small payment to pay off some of my balance on my card but I also have a DD set up to pay the full balance (this will go through no issues later this month). Will making a small payment show up negatively on my credit score/report at all?...
    Originally posted by lw373
    The total amount you have paid in the monthly cycle will be recorded on your credit report. Nothing negative. Nothing positive. Just simply neutral.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• lw373
    • By lw373 12th Sep 19, 7:20 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    lw373
    • 12th Sep 19, 7:20 PM
    • 12th Sep 19, 7:20 PM
    The total amount you have paid in the monthly cycle will be recorded on your credit report. Nothing negative. Nothing positive. Just simply neutral.
    Originally posted by Willing2Learn
    Perfect, thanks!
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 15th Sep 19, 12:30 PM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 1,250 Thanks
    fifeken
    • 15th Sep 19, 12:30 PM
    • 15th Sep 19, 12:30 PM
    Beware some credit cards will take the full statement balance by DD despite you having already made a manual payment. There are several threads on here where it's been mentioned.

If you name the issuer someone may know if it affects you, or look up the latest Ts and Cs.
    • 2e0arr
    • By 2e0arr 15th Sep 19, 6:31 PM
    • 581 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    2e0arr
    • 15th Sep 19, 6:31 PM
    • 15th Sep 19, 6:31 PM
    each month when i get the statement i pay the balance except 5 on tesco and waitrose cards. they are both set to pay in full what i, but ony pay the 5 balance on each. thes two DD help trigger interest on my santander 123's .
    • born again
    • By born again 15th Sep 19, 7:19 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    born again
    • 15th Sep 19, 7:19 PM
    • 15th Sep 19, 7:19 PM
    Just make sure it's not within 5 days of DD being due. As the DD process can start that early.

Will not effect your credit score, not that makes any difference.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 15th Sep 19, 7:27 PM
    • 2,103 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    nickcc
    • 15th Sep 19, 7:27 PM
    • 15th Sep 19, 7:27 PM
    Beware some credit cards will take the full statement balance by DD despite you having already made a manual payment. There are several threads on here where it's been mentioned.

If you name the issuer someone may know if it affects you, or look up the latest Ts and Cs.
    Originally posted by fifeken
    Halifax certainly do. I paid off my foreign holiday spend in full when I returned home and they advised me to cancel my DD and reinstate it after the usual payment date.
    • IvanDP
    • By IvanDP 16th Sep 19, 10:52 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    IvanDP
    • 16th Sep 19, 10:52 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 10:52 PM
    I may be wrong, but i would have thought that if you make a manual payment, then the direct debit would just pay off the remaining balance after that payment has been taken into account.
    I very often make intermediate payments to my credit card, purely for convenience as I am paid weekly but as you know, direct debits are taken monthly.
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 17th Sep 19, 12:30 AM
    • 2,567 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    boo_star
    • 17th Sep 19, 12:30 AM
    • 17th Sep 19, 12:30 AM
    I may be wrong, but i would have thought that if you make a manual payment, then the direct debit would just pay off the remaining balance after that payment has been taken into account.
    I very often make intermediate payments to my credit card, purely for convenience as I am paid weekly but as you know, direct debits are taken monthly.
    Originally posted by IvanDP
    It depends on the issuer.

Some may adjust the DD up to a certain date. Others collect the full amount regardless.

Common sense would dictate that the former is preferable but not everyone uses it.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 17th Sep 19, 12:44 AM
    • 2,872 Posts
    • 2,383 Thanks
    phillw
    Common sense would dictate that the former is preferable but not everyone uses it.
    Originally posted by boo_star
    For the borrower it would be preferable to reduce the DD if you make a manual payment, but for the issuer not to.

I had a similar issue with halifax because of a refund. It was annoying.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 17th Sep 19, 7:44 AM
    • 2,103 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    nickcc
    All my credit card DD's are set to pay in full every month so no remaining balance in my case. Halifax (Lloyds) state in their terms and conditions their system still takes the full DD payment wether you pay it off prior to the payment date or not.
    • sazaccount
    • By sazaccount 17th Sep 19, 5:44 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    sazaccount
    It depends on your CC, I have an MBNA who will take the set DD (full amount until recently now just the min as I'm snoozing) even if a payment is made part month but my Amazon New Day does change the DD if a part payment is made *I think its* 5 days before DD is due, my amex might be the same but I can't remember of the top of my head.
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada
    • blue.peter
    • By blue.peter 18th Sep 19, 12:18 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    blue.peter

As others have said, it depends on the credit card.

AmEx do as you apparently expect.

However, I learnt the hard way that something quite different happens with my John Lewis Partnership Card. They stop the DD collection altogether if you make a payment between the statement date and the DD collection date. Had I not been on the ball and phoned them to ask why they hadn't collected, I'd have found myself paying interest that month.
    • StevieJ
    • By StevieJ 27th Sep 19, 1:13 PM
    • 19,591 Posts
    • 32,590 Thanks
    StevieJ
    Halifax certainly do. I paid off my foreign holiday spend in full when I returned home and they advised me to cancel my DD and reinstate it after the usual payment date.
    Originally posted by nickcc

They sent me a text as well
    'If you make extra payments to your credit cards at any time this will not reduce your direct debit'
    This is quite confusing but surely if you pay off your debt before the statement is produced, then the DD amount will be zero.
    Government: "Should we get a pet?" 52%: "Yes" Government: "OK, we'll get a cat" 1/2 of 52%: "Oh no, I hate cats. I wanted a dog."
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 27th Sep 19, 1:37 PM
    • 1,830 Posts
    • 1,348 Thanks
    18cc
    Strange - I have definitely paid off part of my Partnership card balance and they collected the remainder on the DD date. I will keep an eye out though now you have mentioned it.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 27th Sep 19, 3:37 PM
    • 2,103 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    nickcc
    They sent me a text as well
    This is quite confusing but surely if you pay off your debt before the statement is produced, then the DD amount will be zero.
    Originally posted by StevieJ
    You would think so but not in Halifax's case. Presumably Lloyds is the same as they're the same group. It seems once the DD payment amount has been calculated and you've been advised of this amount then nothing you do will change the DD.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

709Posts Today

6,137Users online

Martin's Twitter