Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • taurusgb
    • By taurusgb 15th Sep 19, 9:28 PM
    • 892Posts
    • 7,366Thanks
    taurusgb
    Fraud (disputed) credit card transaction with Lloyds
    • 15th Sep 19, 9:28 PM
    Fraud (disputed) credit card transaction with Lloyds 15th Sep 19 at 9:28 PM
    On our way to catch a ferry yesterday, we filled up at a Total garage in Calais. The cost for the diesel we filled up with was 54 Euro. Tonight I logged into my Lloyds account to check what exchange rate I had been charged and saw that there were two transactions listed under pending for the Total garage, the one I made and another for 134 (the euro amount wasn't available).

I've just got off the phone to Lloyds and I'm furious. Firstly I had to wait 30 minutes to speak to an advisor, only to be told that even though I "say" I did not make the second purchase, it is not counted as fraud because I had already made a transaction with Total, this apparantly means a fraud can never be committed with any provider that you have ever made a purchase from. It is therefore "only" a dispute, and as a dispute, I cannot take any action until the amount moves from pending to my account. After this happens, they will investigate and it "may" be resolved in my favour. He further went on to say that he couldn't say whether they would ring-fence the disputed amount, that he had no idea how long an investigation might take. I finally gave up when he asked me IF I would like the call logged? For goodness sake - why wouldn't that be automatic?

Anyway, can anyone tell me please what the usual timeline is in cases like this? and what, if anything, I can do to get this sorted out swiftly?
    People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
Page 2
    • nick74
    • By nick74 18th Sep 19, 10:15 AM
    • 348 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    nick74
    Can you not log into your account and send them a message?
    That's what I do with Barclaycard. I always receive a reply within 24 hours.
    Originally posted by Socajam
    No, that would mean Lloyds moving into the 21st century and allowing people to send them online messages. Lloyds have never had this facility.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 18th Sep 19, 12:02 PM
    • 1,953 Posts
    • 1,643 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    What UK disputes staff should be doing is complaining to Visa and MasterCard about this practice - not to stop it but to have it properly administered and regulated.

The AFD will pre-authorise the maximum amount it can dispense and then authorise the actual amount dispensed and that can lead to more of the available balance being ring-fenced than is appropriate.

The process should actually work in one of two ways, and this is the basis of the complaint. Either, the pre-authorisation for the maximum allowable should stand and cover the actual amount dispensed (which will be less and therefore the authorisation amount will cover it) or (and this would be the preferred solution) the AFD will seek authorisation for both the maximum allowable (the pre-auth) and the actual amount dispensed, but must reverse the pre-auth immediately prior to seeking authorisation for the actual amount.

Any other method will cause problems, and anyone analysing/devising/approving the auth rules for AFDs should have spotted this problem long before the process was adopted. Obviously, if the French process is derived from domestically-approved processes and isn't part of any international rule set, getting them to change their ways is going to be difficult (as it ever was) but that's what card companies should employ rules experts to do.

That's how it worked in my day (groan, grumble & general granddad noises).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,115Posts Today

7,399Users online

Martin's Twitter