Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sunni
    • By sunni 24th Jun 19, 7:29 PM
    • 782Posts
    • 30Thanks
    sunni
    BT seems a rip off for Broadband!! It was £37 a month, now £47!! Contract is up!
    • 24th Jun 19, 7:29 PM
    BT seems a rip off for Broadband!! It was £37 a month, now £47!! Contract is up! 24th Jun 19 at 7:29 PM
    So my contract with BT is up for BT Broadband (superfast fibre unlimited) anytime calls and line rental!

Was paying £37 a month now its up to £47 a month. They tried to get me a bundle package including TV but not interested as the freeview channels I have is all I need.

Haven't renewed my BT contract and thinking of changing to another provider like Vodafone or Post Office!

Decisions, decisions, BT seems a rip off!!
Page 2
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 14th Aug 19, 3:46 PM
    • 1,635 Posts
    • 1,195 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    I have had Fibre to the premises from BT for a 12 month contract 50mb per sec average 300+ on occasions. Now I want to move from BT, none of the opposition are allowed to operate the FTTP and have to use the old copper cable - top speed 11-13 mb. I thought monopolies were illegal!!!!!!!!! Anyone any advice on this one?
    Originally posted by Johnny Boy Suffolk
    Sorry but you are wrong.

Any ISP can use the BT Openreach FTTP BUT all the cheap ones will not touch it as it costs too much (in their eyes). Sky will be using the Openreach FTTP at some point this year but no timetable or prices have been given.

A partial list of FTTP ISPs can be found at https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fttp-providers

You can also add IDnet and Freeola to the list too.
    • Pluto88888
    • By Pluto88888 15th Aug 19, 10:35 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Pluto88888
    Try the smarty £18.75 payandgo back on offer this week unlimited deal
    Last edited by Pluto88888; 15-08-2019 at 10:40 PM.
    • allan2006
    • By allan2006 18th Aug 19, 8:23 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    allan2006
    What number are people calling for bt retentions to get these deals?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 18th Aug 19, 8:38 PM
    • 35,087 Posts
    • 22,171 Thanks
    DCFC79
    What number are people calling for bt retentions to get these deals?
    Originally posted by allan2006
    You google for an answer ?

Pop BT retentions into google and a number is mention in 1 of the links.
    • jiggy2
    • By jiggy2 19th Aug 19, 12:01 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    jiggy2
    Broadband superfast fibre 1 unlimited - download speed between 39 mbs and 64 mbs
    Landline - unlimited weekend calls

Still had 6 months to run on contract. BT called and they renewed for another 18 months - £23.99 per month for fibre and line rental (before saving as a result of line rental saver).
    Last edited by jiggy2; 19-08-2019 at 8:34 PM. Reason: Making line rental comment clearer
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 19th Aug 19, 12:30 PM
    • 5,532 Posts
    • 5,649 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    Broadband superfast fibre 1 unlimited - download speed between 39 mbs and 64 mbs
    Landline - unlimited weekend calls

Still had 6 months to run on contract. BT called and they renewed for another 18 months - £23.99 per month (before line rental saver).
    Originally posted by jiggy2
    If you are paying that before line rental, then it's very expensive.

That's what I pay all in for my sons phone/fibre broadband with Plusnet.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 19th Aug 19, 12:46 PM
    • 13,341 Posts
    • 6,092 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Do you mean £23.99 per month including line rental .
    Or as above but further 10 % reduction if paying ALR .
    • jiggy2
    • By jiggy2 19th Aug 19, 8:32 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    jiggy2
    Do you mean £23.99 per month including line rental .
    Or as above but further 10 % reduction if paying ALR .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Sorry I should have been clearer - I meant £23.99 including line rental (which then gets the further 10% reduction as a result of the Line Rental Saver). thanks
    • jiggy2
    • By jiggy2 19th Aug 19, 8:33 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    jiggy2
    If you are paying that before line rental, then it's very expensive.

That's what I pay all in for my sons phone/fibre broadband with Plusnet.
    Originally posted by poppasmurf_bewdley
    That is including line rental (but before the discount as a result of paying the annual rental in one go) - i should have been clearer!
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 16th Sep 19, 3:25 PM
    • 7,913 Posts
    • 3,933 Thanks
    Stompa
    I'm currently paying £40.48pm for Superfast Fibre 1 Unlimited and Anytime (excluding mobiles) calls. My contract is due to end soon, and this was due to increase to £52.48pm. My online offer was to continue at £40.48pm.

Gave them a call to see if they could improve on that and was offered £37.88. I instigated a switch to another provider after which I called them again and the best they could do was £35.98.

A couple of days later they've called me and offered £19.99pm, which includes Anytime calls to both landlines and mobiles. Why couldn't they have just made me a sensible offer in the first place!
    Stompa
    • bill888
    • By bill888 17th Sep 19, 1:53 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    bill888
    includes Anytime calls to both landlines and mobiles.
    Originally posted by Stompa
    hmm, I didn't think BT offered unlimited calls to mobiles on Anytime plan. Or did you mean free calls to 'BT mobile' numbers?

On subject of retention deals, most big ISPs have got wise and probably only offer best deal if they receive an order from another ISP to move your telephone number and/or broadband.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 17th Sep 19, 3:45 PM
    • 7,913 Posts
    • 3,933 Thanks
    Stompa
    hmm, I didn't think BT offered unlimited calls to mobiles on Anytime plan. Or did you mean free calls to 'BT mobile' numbers?
    Originally posted by bill888
    I thought that too, but on checking it doesn't appear to be a standard Anytime plan, but is called 'My Anytime & Mobile Calls add-on'. This is what the email they sent me says about it:

With My Anytime & Mobile Calls add-on, you'll get:

* inclusive calls to UK landlines every day
    Includes calls of up to an hour to 01, 02 and 03 numbers excluding the Channel Islands, indirect access numbers and dial-up internet access. Other exclusions apply.
    * inclusive calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers every day
    Calls of up to an hour, excluding calls to dial-up internet, Calling Card and dial-through access numbers. A fair usage policy applies: you get 1,000 minutes or 150 calls a month. If you go over, we'll charge for these calls until further notice.
    * inclusive calls to UK mobiles
    You can make free calls to mobile numbers from your landline.
    Calls to service numbers starting with 084, 087, 09 and 118 come with an access charge of 15p a minute plus a service charge set by the company you call. There's no set-up fee for these numbers.

For all chargeable calls you make outside of your calling plan, you'll have to pay standard rates and a set-up fee of 23p. Find out more about call charges in our tariff guide.

which suggests all mobile calls are free, not just those to BT mobile numbers.
    Stompa
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 17th Sep 19, 4:26 PM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    iniltous
    I have had Fibre to the premises from BT for a 12 month contract 50mb per sec average 300+ on occasions. Now I want to move from BT, none of the opposition are allowed to operate the FTTP and have to use the old copper cable - top speed 11-13 mb. I thought monopolies were illegal!!!!!!!!! Anyone any advice on this one?
    Originally posted by Johnny Boy Suffolk
    You are wrong, the competition are allowed to use Openreach FTTP in exactly the same way that BT are, if the ISP you would like to use doesnít offer FTTP, that is entirely their decision
    • bill888
    • By bill888 17th Sep 19, 5:22 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    bill888

My Anytime & Mobile Calls add-on

Originally posted by Stompa
    I tried a google search and couldn't find any reference to above call plan. However, upon studying the new BT Tariff guide (23 Aug), it does list it at a whopping £12 pm. (Sky is £10pm and Plusnet is £8pm)

It must be a new call plan which has yet to be announced.

It looks like the existing Unlimited Anytime calls at £9.99 will perhaps become My Anytime Calls add-on at £9.00.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 17th Sep 19, 6:03 PM
    • 7,913 Posts
    • 3,933 Thanks
    Stompa
    It looks like the existing Unlimited Anytime calls at £9.99 will perhaps become My Anytime Calls add-on at £9.00.
    Originally posted by bill888
    It's mentioned here:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/03/bt-customers-have-p5-mth-package-added-to-their-phone-bill---but/
    Stompa
    • polly tunnel
    • By polly tunnel 18th Sep 19, 9:57 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    polly tunnel
    Plenty of offers going through Quidco cashback site. (just search for "broadband"). e.g. 38Mbps fibre - £21.95pm with Origin + £52 cashback and £27.94pm if you want unlimited calls. Also, Now Broadband offering £25pm including anytime phone calls + £100 cashback (and only 12 months contract, so that £16.67pm for 38Mbps fibre)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,650Posts Today

8,591Users online

Martin's Twitter