Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 29th Aug 19, 4:44 PM
    • 4,774Posts
    • 44,109Thanks
    dolly84
    NST September - A Simple September
    • 29th Aug 19, 4:44 PM
    NST September - A Simple September 29th Aug 19 at 4:44 PM
    NST: September 2019
    A Simple September

I always find September a bit like the New Year. The kids are going back to school, routines are getting back to normal, the house needs a really good clean after the holidays and I need to get back on top of everything again. With indulgent times looming later in the year for those of us who celebrate it, September seemed a good month to really scale things back a bit.

So with that in mind the theme for September is simplicity. Enjoy simple pleasures, cut down on things coming in to your space, get rid of things (in the best way possible) that are cluttering your home, only buy what you really need (this is aimed at me in particular), think about every unnecessary penny you spend moving you further away from your long term goals. Shop local, shop sustainably.

The rules:
    • The challenge runs for the month of September.
    • Pay to your debt/mortgage/savings first and live off the remainder.
    • Plan your spends in advance - budget carefully.
    • Take your lunch to work everyday, keep away from vending machines/canteens.
    • Aim for 15 NSDs (keep one if you only buy reduced goods, or medication, or fuel).

Anyone care to join me?
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
Page 9
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 10th Sep 19, 3:10 PM
    • 3,088 Posts
    • 33,538 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Lots of sewing getting done and eating healthier (packed a lot of fruit and salad stuff I had bought and some large yoghurts). Need to keep going on the current embroidery project as it's fairly intricate Celtic knots) and needs daylight so must make the most of available light. Yesterday evening I stuck to doing the edges (just straight lines with a little interruption in the middle).

Mum had binged on rhubarb and custard and was staying close to the bathroom. Improved later on but then had another episode in the middle of the night. I got up at 7 am to have my shower and mum shouted for me. After one of the bathroom visits she had 'missed' the bed as she was getting back in and ended up on the floor.

She asked me to bring her walker so that she could use it to get up. I wedged it in the corner so that it wouldn't move but the various weak points (wrist, arm, knees) meant that she could not get herself up and I couldn't lift her up by myself. I phoned DS2 and asked him to come and gave her breakfast, water, tea and her pills whilst we were waiting. I had used the sofa cushions to get her off the floor a bit.

DS2 lifted her easily as I expected. Mum hasn't injured herself but is a bit shaken. She washed and dressed in the clothes I had put out and then mummy of twins (and the twins) came to drive us to mum's neurology appointment. The myasthenia meds seem to be doing their job and the consultant gave us a prescription for six months worth 'in case we cannot get to an appointment for any reason'.

Mummy of twins went to the pharmacy and mum and I waited for her to have a blood test. This should have been done last week but with one appointment each, a large food delivery at both houses and waiting for the plumber to come back with parts to mend mum's boiler we sort of ran out of days. I then waited to book mum's next appointment (will post it out).

We all met up again in the pharmacy (they hadn't mentioned the 40 minute wait but these tablets are only available at the hospital) and the twins had got to the pulling things off the shelves stage (they're only 2 and a half).

We all had lunch at the award winning fish and chip shop on our way home. Mum's napping and I think we will be having an early night (after bakeoff).

Leg seems to be benefiting from the lack of stairs and I have even more to ponder (walkie talkies, more sleepovers at mum's?). Current battle is persuading her she should not have a rug. She needs a new curtain pole and mummy of twins sister (the other twin) brought her the arg0s catalogue. She says the rug will 'tie the room together', I think it's a trip hazard and if she doesn't fall, I will.

Today I am grateful for pleasant company, mum's excellent consultant and yummy chip shop dinner.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST Oct No 1 No Debt No mortgage
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 10th Sep 19, 3:11 PM
    • 3,581 Posts
    • 29,687 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Hello,

I just sneaked in through the back door to lurk this month. Not quiet ready to join in again yet as I kept dropping out the last few months. At the moment attempting this thing called shelftember. And the last 90 days is starting in October, when I hopefully will join here again too.

Good luck all
    NST Oct 19
    SFD 3/20 spends £314/520
    Exercise 8/18
    Debt - all 0% 414 to go from 5290
    DFD 12/2019 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 94600 (07/19) OP 1910
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 10th Sep 19, 7:46 PM
    • 9,374 Posts
    • 71,956 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Hiya thrifty - thanks for popping in!

Today I am grateful for a phone call with good news, for flexibility, for catching up with good friends, for enjoying my job, for good sleep, for the invention of soft toilet paper, for the space discovered when someone bought our futon from us, for peace and quiet.
    NST October mudman #2; NSD 10/15; Ex 10/21; remove bagfuls 2(40)

Mortgage £15,451 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
    • Deni debt-free dreamer
    • By Deni debt-free dreamer 10th Sep 19, 10:02 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 3,037 Thanks
    Deni debt-free dreamer
    Hi everyone
    NSD #2!! Had a 12 hour day in work with no lunch break so that definitely helped with the lack of spends! Got home at 9 and had HM soup for tea. Packed up some more eB** parcels ready to post tomorrow. DD2 has sent a link to duvet cover she wants & I have hygienist appointment tomorrow so will be a spend day.
    I will be glad of my bed tonight Dx
    Sealed pot challenge member #118

Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019 #96
    Total CCs 2,370.05/4,500

£2 savers club 33
    • shabbychic12
    • By shabbychic12 11th Sep 19, 6:28 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    shabbychic12
    Best month ever so far lve managed 4 nsd's. I think after 9 months of messing about lve finally got my mojo for frugality back in gear. Few spendy days ahead with the major one being the car mot can only see how it fares. Enjoy your Wednesday's x
    2019 early retirement wannabe
    Save £12K in 2019 no 94
    All this saving l'm turning into my Dad
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 11th Sep 19, 7:51 AM
    • 4,774 Posts
    • 44,109 Thanks
    dolly84
    Hello Thrifty.

SSDD - hope you get your foot sorted out.

Didn't do much yesterday after the dentist, I had injections in the bottom right and the top left so you can imagine what that was like. Raining here today so will make sure all the cleaning is done today, make curry for tea and I will take that for lunch tomorrow.
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 11th Sep 19, 8:15 AM
    • 1,545 Posts
    • 4,889 Thanks
    SSDD23
    I ran 5k last night for the first time in about a year to see if I could manage it with my foot taped up, could have gone worse! At least I know I can still run 5k

NSD 5 today

My legs and my stomach muscles ache today, to be expected when they haven't been used that way in a long time. Just waiting for my delivery of the tape to arrive so I can re-do my foot, unsurprisingly it did not survive a run and two showers
    Debt Target #08 - £125/£489.06 (25.5%)
    Debts busted: 7/10
    NSD Target: 4/15
    Annual Car Costs Fund: £218
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 11th Sep 19, 8:29 AM
    • 3,088 Posts
    • 33,538 Thanks
    mothernerd
    I'm feeling rested. Settled down at 11 pm and woke at 7.30 am with only one break in the night (I used to wake hourly all night - if I managed to sleep at night). I have tried to get more sleep after I took my morning pills but it wasn't happening. Sitting up with breakfast and planning to read quietly before I shower.

Mum is still asleep so I think we will both have a quiet day. Going to try doing my exercises later (they gave me a copy of the class exercises when I went for my six month review) but hink I will be doing sit down versions of most).

I haven't spent any money for several days. Using up the food I brought (topped and tailed the 'needing to be rescued' carrots last night whilst waiting for my toast and will peel them today). Going home today or early tomorrow - it's the cleaner's day - but will leave food for Friday and may overnight again, depending on how I feel.

Will be making progress on the complicated embroidery later on and have added a couple of items to be included in the October challenge (don't panic, I'll make some of them optional extras). I am living a slowed down simple life.

Forgot to mention that when DS3 was getting my bags to the front door he banged his head on the door frame. Told him that particular door was quite low so He came to the one by the front door - the baby of the family has now officially passed 6 foot 6 inches and outgrown everyone else - must be all that milk (he was breastfed until his first birthday and refused to entertain baby rice or anything but breastmilk).

Today I am grateful for the prospect of a peaceful, quiet day (mum is awake, wants to stay in bed but thinks she 'should' get up - ditch all those 'shoulds' now folks), for being warm well fed and inside and for time to let my body heal (miles of walking from the car park along hospital corridors and standing in queues).
    Last edited by mothernerd; 11-09-2019 at 8:33 AM. Reason: forget to do my gratitudes
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 11th Sep 19, 8:50 AM
    • 5,790 Posts
    • 46,219 Thanks
    DawnW
    Managed a NSD yesterday, so on 4 / 15 now. No idea if I will reach the target (I don't usually, because I tend to shop little and often). I will need a couple of things today
    Going out today, but not anticipating spending anything on that apart from fuel. OH wants to take some items to an auction house across the county, so we will take a picnic and make our own drinks (taking old camper van as some of the items are too big for the car).

DD wants OH to put up a large mirror he made for her new kitchen (I thought a kitchen mirror a bit odd, but she wanted one) so we will go and do that later, also take a large bay tree which has outgrown its pot and needs planting out. Sadly my garden is too small (they do get quite big), but she is pleased to have it. I have its baby replacement ready to go in a nicer pot later, too. More compost needed for that and some other things I intend to plant, so will also buy that today.

• Calling14
    • By Calling14 11th Sep 19, 1:05 PM
    • 2,947 Posts
    • 21,226 Thanks
    Calling14
    Hiya Thrifty. Very curious as to what you up to shelftember? You sit on a shelf for 90 days

Well I tried for a NSD and had a presale link for band I like who have just got back together. Tickets are for next year. I am weak.

Today I need to rise above one so called friend who is so racist I can't tolerate it. Will snap back soon. Not at me but about another friend of mine through social media, cull time I think.

Tomorrow off to Liverpool for a gig and overnight stay. Looking forward to catch up with friends. Just wish my cold would go away.

Grateful for
    Few days off work
    Sore throat not as bad today
    Looking forward to seeing grandkids at weekend, they have been away on hols, missed them.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now Jan 2019 £2737/£5457

PAYDBX 2019 #16 £2737/5457 £2720 to go
    EFund #9 £60/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge no 33
    £617/£2000

• thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 11th Sep 19, 2:45 PM
    • 3,581 Posts
    • 29,687 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Hiya Thrifty. Very curious as to what you up to shelftember? You sit on a shelf for 90 days

Originally posted by Calling14
    Yes, very efficient method not to spend

No, it means taking extreme care to first go shopping in your kitchen stocks (shelves, fridges, freezers) and only allowing a certain amount for fresh food like milk and fruit (i.e. £20/week). I might struggle as we have a small freezer. It's just a variations of the grocery challenge and/or NSD challenge. I just needed a new view on the same problem IYKWIM to rekindle my creativity in the kitchen, use what we have and save money.

The Last 90 day challenge is sth else. It is based on not waiting for the 1st of January to make positive changes/resolutions but use the rest of the year to get a head start so to say. Basically start now or never (officially on Oct the 1st with 90 days to go). Like if you're going to the gym only semi regularly. Make it a habit now before you give it all up for Christmas (don't do that obv.) and have to start all over again.

Both are just two ways for me to approach things differently as to see things interesting during my debt free journey.
    Last edited by thriftylass; 11-09-2019 at 3:27 PM.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 11th Sep 19, 3:11 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 22,256 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Still on NSD No 7

Just plodding along here. Nothing exciting happening but not spending much. Just a few things needed from Aldi.

Trying to get into a cleaning routine and doing a little extra job every day Trouble is I started washing paintwork down today and, of course, the more you do the more you see needing done. Oh well, at least I can see the difference even if no one else (ie Himself) can. I'm also trying to do things as they need done, put things away as soon as the're finished with, etc. The trouble with that is Himself then complains that he can't find anything. One of these days I'll get him organised.

Still trying new recipes. Chicken marinading in honey, mustard and a few other things at the moment. Apparently it smells delicious (I wouldn't know - no sense of smell). I noticed a few turtles make fruit gins of various kinds. Can someone tell me how to do that? It sounds fab.
    • greent
    • By greent 11th Sep 19, 3:23 PM
    • 8,192 Posts
    • 83,232 Thanks
    greent
    SSDD - Glad some progress is being made with your foot - hope you managed to tape it back up yourself ok

Whoop! - Finally managed to donate the 2 large bags of stuff to CS - added a set of 4 placemats to it this morning, too DS2 has also taken a too-small sports top to school for PTA 2nd hand uniform sales and a torn and paint-stained pair of jeans has gone to rag bag recycling.

NSD yesterday (now on 2 ) Definitely not one today - bought 2 tickets to see DS2's house music performance, paid for DD's eyetest - and new glasses (changed prescription and 1 dear lens) Am also going to take DS2 to barbers when he gets back on school bus. Ouch £ day!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £3757/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £518.64/£500
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 11th Sep 19, 3:38 PM
    • 9,374 Posts
    • 71,956 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Hi all,

Love reading all your challenges on here! I particularly like the NSTs and want to give it a go myself!

I'm hoping to create an MSE blog post of my journey when I attempt it in October - could you tell me some of your top tips?

I really want to go for the full 15 NSDs - but I have no idea where to start!

I will certainly credit this forum thread when the time comes!

Can't wait to hear from you all

- MSE Molly
    Originally posted by MSE Molly

Hi Molly,

I'd suggest that you do a trawl back through the NST challenge threads to get a true flavour of what we are about. Especially any run by mothernerd, as she often gives the back story to why and how we exist. Mothernerd is running the October challenge so she may include the back story anyway.

And if you go far enough back, they were all set up and run by ninjasavingkat as she extradited herself from debt and saved 10k to travel. It is quite a journey!

Happy reading! And we look forward to seeing you around in October.
    NST October mudman #2; NSD 10/15; Ex 10/21; remove bagfuls 2(40)

Mortgage £15,451 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 11th Sep 19, 4:54 PM
    • 4,774 Posts
    • 44,109 Thanks
    dolly84
    SSDD - well done on the 5k, I envy people who don't run for ages and then can still run, I have to do it 5 or more times a week to keep my level up.

Tesco grocery shop delivered today other than that no other money spent, shouldn't spend tomorrow either.

Yesterday I bought a lovely vintage inspired (could be vintage) marble and glass cheese dome to go on my dresser, it was £4.99 in Oxfam and I love it.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 11th Sep 19, 6:13 PM
    • 2,549 Posts
    • 23,540 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Calling - Halo is a little bit grainy - that is the proteiny thing. Not as sweet as normal icecream but still for a diet ice cream it is not bad - DS1 says it will be fine with a hot fudge or chocolate sauce. The swine!

Mothernerd - hugs for you after finding grandmothernerd(?) on the floor. Glad she is not hurt, but it is terrifying finding them on the floor -step gran fell twice while I was over there in summer. I agree with you about the rug. Unless you can wedge it under sofas or chairs on most of the edges.

Thrifty!! Every month is shelftember in my house. I love it.

Apple - congratulations on the good news, whatever it is.
    Dolly - caffeine pushes the anaesthetic through faster, so less numb, lisping, dribbly face, in case you have to be professional. Enjoy your cheese stand ( I am imagining a cake stand type affair with a glass dome) if it makes you smile when you see it, then it is worth it.

Today is NSD4. Loads more cleaned and sorted today -the back room has been vanquished - but I have to find a place for 4 bicycles now. So all the residual mess and tat is now in the kitchen, so I can sort through it all with the added benefit of being near a kettle, with a nice big table and chairs, and having a tv/radio to watch/listen to.

Yard is nearly cleared ready for winter. I have 2 rooms left of stuff to either sort, put away, or give away. 2 days without a man and I am EPIC (and have a clean and tidy 5/6ths of a house). I also have a strange sciatica-ish pain since this afternoon. Swings and roundabouts! DH due home in twenty minutes.

Even better, he is going away again tomorrow til Sunday. So I can get on with more stuff while I am being efficient.
    Yesterday I bought a tv aerial splitter (£2.50) via the rainforest shop so that I can split the signal and have a tv in the back room and the kitchen without having to poke wires through a hole in the pantry when changing rooms. It's not all glamour!
    Last edited by f0xh0les; 11-09-2019 at 6:16 PM.
    MFW5/16 £118,340 10/17£109,49 12/17 £108,8 1/18 £108,33/18 £108,5 4/18£108,1 5/18£106,9 6/18£105,9, 7/18£105,3 8/18£103,9 9/18£102,9 10/18£101,9 11/18£101,3 12/18£100,7 1/19 £99,999 2/19 99,500 1/3 £98,91/4 £98,5 1/5 £97,9 1/6 £97,5 1/7 £96,9. 1/8 £96,500 1/9 £95,970.00 1/10 £95,500 MFW 2019 #65
    L&C Referal code- https://referme.to/GNNHtJo
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 11th Sep 19, 7:44 PM
    • 3,088 Posts
    • 33,538 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Think we are developing a collective turtle mind. I was thinking of doing a 'last 3 months/ start it now, don't wait until January' thing and I've also read through this year's challenges and tried to pick out some themes. i was just thinking about putting the back story in again as we have quite a few newer turtles.

As expected we have had a quiet day. Mum had a lot of aches and pains and has been napping throughout the day. I encouraged her to stay in bed longer (had to open the blinds so the neighbours wouldn't think we were dead). Was 11 am before I felt up to dragging myself into the shower, then I sat in my dressing gown (making sure I was properly dry) until mum's manicurist phoned to ask if she could come early as she had had a cancellation.

It was about 2 pm before mum got dressed. She is still very shaken - keeps saying she never thought a time would come when she could not get up off the floor.

The weather cleared up so I've gathered all the washing and it's mostly dried outside. Made cauli/ broccoli cheese with frozen veg, value pasta and sauce using two ends of cheese I brought from home. We've both had a banana and finished off the ys strawberries with my blueberry yoghurt. Will be going home early tomorrow. Had two wraps with a smear of mayo, mustard (scraped out the last bit of the jar), watercress/ rocket/ spinach mixture and most of my remaining tomatoes.

Another chunk of complicated embroidery done and then switched to lavender bags, one completed, next one started (need some plain cotton to make the inners (have some at home).

We both had long conversations with mum's old boyfriend. I answered this morning (mum had heard the beep but went back to sleep when she realised I'd picked up). He phoned back this afternoon.

Just made toast, put the crusts out for the birds and put the padlock on the gate. Today I am grateful for a relaxing day, getting things done and toast (I think i only ever have it at mum's).
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 11th Sep 19, 11:07 PM
    • 3,228 Posts
    • 30,664 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 10 checking in
    Hi all

No NSD yesterday as predicted - but I did get one today 4/15

Resisted all blandishments to do more shopping, I went freezer diving & found plenty of items for lunch/supper for today, so all meals from stores. Made some Welsh cakes for afters, turned out OK & were pretty easy.

Don't seem to have made much progress today, but DH managed to fix the iron that I carelessly dropped - some plastic trim thingy (technical term) had come off - and also fixed a new toilet seat in the downstairs loo. He also fixed my new jelly making equipment to deal with all the blackberries/crab apples etc. that we have.

I've picked some blackberries - from the garden - about 3 times already - then put in fridge but a series of domestic crises meant that they'd gone mouldy by the time I got to them. So, picked a massive bowlful today & hopefully will make the jelly tomorrow. Thanks to my poor husbandry earlier in the year we have loads of them in the garden & they are really massive. Have recipe that I might use for Christmas hampers if it turns out OK.

Grass was looking long again almost to the state where I need a machete, so I cut that. Thought I would do just one bit of grass, but ended up doing the lot, am quite tired now.

Checking in when I can: Hello turtles!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 12th Sep 19, 6:05 AM
    • 4,774 Posts
    • 44,109 Thanks
    dolly84
    mothernerd - your poor mum, I hope her bumps and bruises get better.

f0xh0les - you are such a productive woman.

Work today - YAY - can you tell that was faked. I have toothache in a different tooth, great, and stomach cramps.
    • misstara
    • By misstara 12th Sep 19, 8:27 AM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 23,141 Thanks
    misstara
    I'm now up to 7/15 NSDs and today should be a NSD. It's very easy to get NSDs here compared to usual as I'm not buying any food, petrol, etc. My only spend since my last post has been £2.90 in bus fare to get to and back from the next village.

I've been continuing my twice daily walks and am now up to walking around 3 miles per day, still at a fairly slow pace. Picked a load of brambles yesterday and made a crumble for tea. Will pick more today to stash in the freezer.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £0
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £666.94 (16.4% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 23/60
    Emergency fund - £210/£1000. Car fund - £320/£1000.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

267Posts Today

2,513Users online

Martin's Twitter