Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 29th Aug 19, 4:44 PM
    • 4,768Posts
    • 44,056Thanks
    dolly84
    NST September - A Simple September
    • 29th Aug 19, 4:44 PM
    NST September - A Simple September 29th Aug 19 at 4:44 PM
    NST: September 2019
    A Simple September

I always find September a bit like the New Year. The kids are going back to school, routines are getting back to normal, the house needs a really good clean after the holidays and I need to get back on top of everything again. With indulgent times looming later in the year for those of us who celebrate it, September seemed a good month to really scale things back a bit.

So with that in mind the theme for September is simplicity. Enjoy simple pleasures, cut down on things coming in to your space, get rid of things (in the best way possible) that are cluttering your home, only buy what you really need (this is aimed at me in particular), think about every unnecessary penny you spend moving you further away from your long term goals. Shop local, shop sustainably.

The rules:
    • The challenge runs for the month of September.
    • Pay to your debt/mortgage/savings first and live off the remainder.
    • Plan your spends in advance - budget carefully.
    • Take your lunch to work everyday, keep away from vending machines/canteens.
    • Aim for 15 NSDs (keep one if you only buy reduced goods, or medication, or fuel).

Anyone care to join me?
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
Page 8
    • second chance
    • By second chance 9th Sep 19, 10:08 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    second chance
    Thank you yes I will do that.. didnít mean to whinge ... just hard sometimes when it seems like the rest of the world doesnít seem to have a care ( I know this isnít true)
    On the plus I got some reduced foods and have meal planned for the week
    Nsd tomorrow hopefully x
    Stepchange dmp £8018
    Debt free date Aug 2021

Emergency fund needs refuelling!

Aiming for a debt free stress free life with some money in the bank!
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 9th Sep 19, 10:15 AM
    • 3,079 Posts
    • 33,458 Thanks
    mothernerd
    I an also feeling fed up because of what I'm not getting done. I have decided to run away from home (only to my mother's). Yesterday I was determined to get downstairs to tackle whatever mess has accumulated whilst I've been stuck upstairs. Then I thought about getting back upstairs next time I wanted the bathroom and decided to stay here.

Having to choose between eating and going to the bathroom feels like a rubbish choice - I didn't starve but am running out of options so I've decide I need to be at the bungalow for a few days and give my leg time to heal properly. I've already started to gather the things I need (including use it up bits of toiletries) and think about what else I need (going to take the salad stuff, some fruit and ingredients for a couple of batch cook meals - one of the things I wanted to do this weekend) plus laptop, sewing, embroidery, CPAP machine, books, chargers.

My only problem now is that I think I am the only one awake and there's no way I can carry stuff downstairs - hauling myself up and down takes enough effort. Feeling nostalgic for the days when I could shuffle up and down the stairs on my bottom. It's going to take me a while to gather everything together so maybe DS3 will be awake then.

Going to put my positive head on and find some new ways to do more. I have chopped celery sticks etc at mum's before, maybe I can add cooking one or two things there each week (rather than when I get home between 8pm and 9pm). Sew and ponder time turtles. As always any lessons i learn during this temporary incapacity will be passed on to you in the fullness of time.

Kerry Woman hope you are okay. It's okay if you don't want to talk, I go quiet too but know we are all thinking about you. Hope the move brings in a new positive phase in your life. Hugs, congratulations, gasps of awe, shock and admiration as appropriate to all turtles. If it's tough, just keep plodding. If you're going through hell, just keep going.

I am grateful for a visit from DS2 and the small dog he is minding, bananas, yoghurt, cheese spread and crispbread and all the foodstuffs that have kept me going in between my trips downstairs, to Beloved for bringing things upstairs for me, for finding useful stuff to occupy my time and new ways of working, for dishwashers and washing machines (some work has been done) for my rag bag (cleaned parts of the bathroom).

Will also
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST Oct No 1 No Debt No mortgage
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 9th Sep 19, 10:52 AM
    • 2,945 Posts
    • 21,221 Thanks
    Calling14
    Morning it is still .

Friday - night out brilliant time and overspent on my budget by £1. Only £11 spent, 2 brilliant bands and lots of fun.

Saturday - Pleased hairdressers was very cheap and hair looks so much better. Then the plumber saga continues £45 spent fitting new tap however the new tap has a slight drip as well. Tap faulty. So going to bite the bullet and get some drainage work done I need doing as drainage pipe doesn't run down, need hole making in outside wall to solve it. Quoted a decent price and he will replace my tap then saves a callout fee. I will exchange spare tap I have through work to a more practical one today.

Sunday cleaned offices, went lovely seaside walk, had a toasted teacake and mug of tea sat by the sea for brekkie £2.50, then Lidlee few items needed £7.50 and home by 10.30am. Productive house clean, clothes sort and gardening day. . Roast chicken for lunch again, just so cheap and lots of leftovers for next day or so.

Today I am hoping for a NSD. Going to count it already so then it will happen so have 2NSD in total.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now Jan 2019 £2737/£5457

PAYDBX 2019 #16 £2737/5457 £2720 to go
    EFund #9 £60/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge no 33
    £565/£2000

• f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 9th Sep 19, 1:19 PM
    • 2,544 Posts
    • 23,493 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Today is NSD3. I have everything I need until tomorrow. Dh is gone for most of this week, he is back properly on Sunday so I am going hardcore frugal and hardcore tidying. Budget for the week is £22. Got masses done this morning, tidying frenzy, I even wore a dress today. Only four rooms left to beat into submission. There is plenty of stuff in those rooms that can leave the house.

Gratitudes: having a lovely dh, nobody being sick, 9 rooms being clean, my lists, having a choice. Washing machines.
    MFW5/16 £118,340 10/17£109,49 12/17 £108,8 1/18 £108,33/18 £108,5 4/18£108,1 5/18£106,9 6/18£105,9, 7/18£105,3 8/18£103,9 9/18£102,9 10/18£101,9 11/18£101,3 12/18£100,7 1/19 £99,999 2/19 99,500 1/3 £98,91/4 £98,5 1/5 £97,9 1/6 £97,5 1/7 £96,9. 1/8 £96,500 1/9 £95,970.00 1/10 £95,500 MFW 2019 #65
    L&C Referal code- https://referme.to/GNNHtJo
    • MSE Molly
    • By MSE Molly 9th Sep 19, 1:33 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    MSE Molly
    Hi all,

Love reading all your challenges on here! I particularly like the NSTs and want to give it a go myself!

I'm hoping to create an MSE blog post of my journey when I attempt it in October - could you tell me some of your top tips?

I really want to go for the full 15 NSDs - but I have no idea where to start!

I will certainly credit this forum thread when the time comes!

Can't wait to hear from you all

- MSE Molly

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter,MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    To report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 9th Sep 19, 2:45 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 22,247 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    NSD No 6

Washing all done and hanging upstairs to dry. Absolutely poured all last night and still continuing to do so.

Made a sort of sausage topping for a baked potato for dinner using up bits and pieces from the fridge and cupboard. Should be enough for tomorrow as well - I'll tart it up a bit with some butter beans and have it with some mash from the freezer.

Got out some recipe books to look for ideas to use up some chicken and more of the sausages.

Plodding on with the cleaning but Himself seems to have "lost" one of the hoover tools. I shall have to go through the cupboard under the stairs to find it, Oh joy!!!

Hope everyone is well.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 9th Sep 19, 3:04 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 22,247 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Hello MSE Molly

Welcome. Do you have a budget? I think that's the first and most important thing.

My personal tip is to have a kind of flexible meal plan if that makes sense. I mean have meals in mind and make sure you have the ingredients, have some ready already frozen to avoid buying take aways, buy items when you see them reduced but only if you know you'll use them and above all use everything up. Don't waste anything. I think food is the one thing that most people can cut down on if they really try.

I'm sure there will be lots of people around with lots of tips very soon.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 9th Sep 19, 6:19 PM
    • 5,081 Posts
    • 45,257 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hello
    Just a quick one from me tonight as I managed a mere 3 hours and 10 mins of sleep last night. Add a full day of work and I'm really ready for bed.
    Not a nsd for me as I also had my stop tap replaced. £40 for me and all is well. Now I know I can switch it off if there is any sort of incident. As I was spending anyway I decided to do the grocery shop online - I've also ordered everything I need for my home made Christmas gifts. So this year I'm doing socks, blankets, cowls, tomato chutney, fruit gin and an attempt at Baileys. It's cost me less than a tenner for the remaining ingredients I need. So I think that might offer that as my top tip Molly. Don't underestimate the power of a home made gift if you have the time. I'm lucky in that I can knit and crochet, and I'm trying to find a love of cooking.
    Also, I really go with the idea of rounding down bank accounts daily to make payments to debt. That adds up really quickly. The best thing about being in this group as far as I'm concerned is the support I get from the other turtles - knowing that I'm not on my own that that nobody gets left behind.
    Mothernerd - take care of yourself and that leg. Hope that you're fighting fit very soon.
    Secondchance - hang on in there. There are good days and bad days... find the thing that makes you happy. I find a good nights sleep and some fresh air works well for me - and really enjoy the treat of reading a book or watching a box set, which I can do with little or no spends.
    NST October #11 nsd = 5
    I am honestly trying my best
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 9th Sep 19, 7:44 PM
    • 5,789 Posts
    • 46,213 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all
    Not much sleep last night here either, so not a huge amount achieved today. I had to do some work for my little business this morning. I drove as I had to take several boxes of stuff with me. We then had a power cut for a couple of hours this afternoon which prevented / delayed me doing some of the jobs I had planned, but I have made the most of the electricity this evening - made jam from the raspberries in the freezer and fridge (freeing up some much needed freezer space ), and I have a loaf in the breadmaker, as there is hardly any bread left.
    All meals were from home

Nothing spent, so I am on NSD 4 / 15

• Deni debt-free dreamer
    • By Deni debt-free dreamer 9th Sep 19, 10:08 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 3,037 Thanks
    Deni debt-free dreamer
    Evening everyone
    I'm claiming a NSD today - #1 I did spend but it was postage for my Bay of E parcels so that doesn't count does it??
    I've sold about 10 things and really pleased.
    Yesterday I sat in bed to read for a little while then caught up on my PT job. I had a bit of a panic about my FT job as it's very busy and i'm covering my boss' job - there are loads of issues to sort out and the workplace has been toxic (better without our boss). I'm trying not to get overwhelmed..... Today I took 1.5 hours for lunch as I decided to get out the office and came home for lunch. I went to the PO enroute to post some of my parcels. It was lovely to be home and I will do it again. Last week I only got one proper lunch break.
    Today I've been to my exercise class and eaten all meals from stores.
    Got a long day tomorrow but am taking salad for lunch and HM soup for tea.
    Nite all
    Dx
    Sealed pot challenge member #118

Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019 #96
    Total CCs 2,370.05/4,500

£2 savers club 33
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 9th Sep 19, 10:33 PM
    • 3,224 Posts
    • 30,628 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 10 checking in
    hi all

Another NSD today, racking them up now - at the dizzy heights of 3/15....won't be one tomorrow though as shopping day before my stint in the CS.

Will be taking a book or two in, plus a couple of items that I have found whilst clearing (not clothes).

Still drying out the dining room with the dehumidifier but more difficult as it's rained all day. Will get the carpet cleaner on it later in the week, see if that helps. Found lots of shot glasses that were on the window sill behind the blind, all full of water still .Well done CCL for getting your stop TAP fitted, you may never need it but if you do....money well spent.

All food from stores today for lunch & supper.

Wet day so made some preserves with things I had in. Will be handy for Christmas as I am one also who makes HM gifts CCL. I started this when we were too broke to buy anything & have continued because family/friends who receive them always say they really look forward to them.

Also did a bit more clearing in the sun room, with any luck we will be able to refurb it soon as it is in a bad state. And was full of tat. Less now.

second chance I hope you are feeling more positive, it looks like you have made a great start by doing the clearing & identifying some items you can sell as well as stuff to chuck. If the bills & debts are getting paid already, then that will be a real bonus. Lots of us have been in that position of feeling broke & fed up but you have made real positive steps already.

Mothernerd
    I hope your musings led to some ideas & strategies about how you can move forward with what you want to do, it does sound very difficult at present.

Checking in to say hi: Hello turtles!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 10th Sep 19, 6:31 AM
    • 4,768 Posts
    • 44,056 Thanks
    dolly84
    second chance - those people you think don't have a care in the world may just be burying their heads in the sand, at least you are doing the right things to improve your situation.

mothernerd - going to your mums sounds like the right thing to do.

MSE Molly - welcome. Top tips - take your own food/drinks/snacks with you, the food you buy out is rarely as good as you expect for what you pay, buy secondhand wherever possible, it saves an absolute fortune and is so much more fun. Don't try to be one of the crowd - I find the crowd is very spendy.

Dentist today for two hacking great fillings. Dreading it.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 10th Sep 19, 6:33 AM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 4,692 Thanks
    lcc86
    Morning all, just checking in, have to say I love how crafty and resourceful people on this forum are when it comes to homemade gifts! I wouldn't know where to start!

I didn't have a NSD yesterday, I have a week off work next week and have some jobs to do around the house so I bought a few bits online to help get that done, and I bought some turmeric tablets as well. Spent about £15 in total and it all came from my house fund (except the tablets). Today should be a NSD, have a long day at work ahead and won't be home until late, so that keeps me out of trouble!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original diary
    Trying to enjoy moments not things!
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 10th Sep 19, 7:23 AM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 4,857 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Morning turtles!

Not a NSD here today as I need to fill up my car, so will also pick up some heat protection spray that I need, should be a NSD tomorrow.

Went to the cinema last night with OH to watch IT Chapter 2, then home for an early night. I struggle with the cinema after work on a weekday, as it messes with eating times, then travelling home, etc. Still, it was nice to do something different!

I have my physio appointment today where I will hopefully get a referral for an MRI scan for my foot that has been painful for near on two years now and nothing seems to be helping it. It will be nice to possibly actually have a proper diagnosis for it, so we can go forwards with a better prepared treatment plan. I long for the day when I can run/wear heels/not be in pain when I walk
    Debt Target #08 - £0/£489.06 (0%)
    Debts busted: 7/10
    NSD Target: 4/15
    Annual Car Costs Fund: £218
    • greent
    • By greent 10th Sep 19, 8:10 AM
    • 8,189 Posts
    • 83,198 Thanks
    greent
    Still on 1 NSD. Not sure if I will achieve one today - have a nagging feeling that I *should* be heading to smkt for something, but I can't think what!

Still haven't managed to drop bags to CS - took them there yesterday but they were still closed to donations - will look at trying tomorrow Have added some more items in, so more stuff will eventually be leaving here! Added a tshirt (several small stains and holes) to recycling rag bag this morning. Also taking a large bag of pears in with me to work (popping in for update on training) as both trees are groaning with the weight of all the fruit. Gave my mum a huge bowlful last night, too.

Have another 10 days of both student children being here and then we lose them back to their uni cities - along with various items, freeing up (albeit temporarily) more space. Will also lose a lot of items from freezer, which will mean I can freezer pears and apples for future use

WM broke again yesterday - 4th time in less than 12 months... sigh (it's either 4.5 or 5.5 years old, and wasn't a cheap one....) Will look to get it repaired again (appears to be either the door lock (relatively cheap) or motherboard (not so cheap...) but choose another one - need something more reliable

SSDD - fingers crossed that you get your referral x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £3757/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £518.64/£500
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 10th Sep 19, 8:56 AM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 4,857 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Still on 1 NSD. Not sure if I will achieve one today - have a nagging feeling that I *should* be heading to smkt for something, but I can't think what!

Still haven't managed to drop bags to CS - took them there yesterday but they were still closed to donations - will look at trying tomorrow Have added some more items in, so more stuff will eventually be leaving here! Added a tshirt (several small stains and holes) to recycling rag bag this morning. Also taking a large bag of pears in with me to work (popping in for update on training) as both trees are groaning with the weight of all the fruit. Gave my mum a huge bowlful last night, too.

Have another 10 days of both student children being here and then we lose them back to their uni cities - along with various items, freeing up (albeit temporarily) more space. Will also lose a lot of items from freezer, which will mean I can freezer pears and apples for future use

WM broke again yesterday - 4th time in less than 12 months... sigh (it's either 4.5 or 5.5 years old, and wasn't a cheap one....) Will look to get it repaired again (appears to be either the door lock (relatively cheap) or motherboard (not so cheap...) but choose another one - need something more reliable

SSDD - fingers crossed that you get your referral x
    Originally posted by greent
    Thank you x
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 10th Sep 19, 10:48 AM
    • 2,544 Posts
    • 23,493 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Today is not a NSD as ds4 is off to his friends birthday party, will stick £10 in a card (from stash). DS2 announced, in the car this morning, that his trainers have holes in the bottom and he needs them for school tomorrow, so a trip to the cheap shoe shop is planned for after school. Will be another £20.

Cleared out quite a few pots from the yard, it is now about 2/3s clear for winter, the last of the tomatoes are still reddening but the plants have drooped badly. Will finish it off tomorrow = clear yard!

First load of laundry is drying on the line. Last load, on economy 30 minute wash, will go out after lunch and be dry by supper time = laundry finished!

Once again, Her0n has hal0 t0p vegan ice cream for 69p instead of £5 a pot. I may have accidentally bought 16 pots. I class that as a ys item.

Going to try and photograph more stuff to give away and get out of the house.

Football on tv tonight, beer-free beer in the fridge (designated adult), stuff is getting done. All food from stores - barley 'risotto' for tea tonight.
    MFW5/16 £118,340 10/17£109,49 12/17 £108,8 1/18 £108,33/18 £108,5 4/18£108,1 5/18£106,9 6/18£105,9, 7/18£105,3 8/18£103,9 9/18£102,9 10/18£101,9 11/18£101,3 12/18£100,7 1/19 £99,999 2/19 99,500 1/3 £98,91/4 £98,5 1/5 £97,9 1/6 £97,5 1/7 £96,9. 1/8 £96,500 1/9 £95,970.00 1/10 £95,500 MFW 2019 #65
    L&C Referal code- https://referme.to/GNNHtJo
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 10th Sep 19, 1:10 PM
    • 2,945 Posts
    • 21,221 Thanks
    Calling14
    Second chance - Don't worry I am sure everybody has whinged on here, me more than most. You do get to a point when you are fed up of being broke and struggling all the time. With the support of these lovely turtles your head eventually pops out of the sand. Keep going.

I need to get crafty, would love to give homemade xmas pressies. I can't Knit or crochet. Tomato chutney sounds nice maybe I might try something like that.

foxholes is Halo nice tasting? my daughter just said it tastes protein like and not great flavour. No idea what protein like means - kids !Barley risotto I liked than made it in the slow cooker last time. Will do that next week.

Still on 2 NSD, wanted small loaf today and some bananas oops plus chocolate. Totally lacking in energy this week and have a sore throat. Chicken should be used up to tea, had chicken salad butties for lunch. Omlette looking likely for tea.

Arranged to have drainage sorted out next week and got a replacement tap ready for fitting.

Had a very productive day in work as off Thurs/ Friday. Just need lots of hot lemon and honey to sort my throat out tonight plus early night. Will watch football first.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now Jan 2019 £2737/£5457

PAYDBX 2019 #16 £2737/5457 £2720 to go
    EFund #9 £60/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge no 33
    £565/£2000

• SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 10th Sep 19, 2:43 PM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 4,857 Thanks
    SSDD23
    No scan referral but the specialist I saw today suspects I may have damaged the supporting ligaments underneath my foot, so has taped those up and I must say it barely hurts at all whilst it is like this, so hopefully that is a sign of a correct diagnosis at last! Good thing today was already a planned spend day, as I have purchased some of the tape(s) she has used (she would quite happily have given me some but said she's not allowed to do it at the NHS clinics lol)

So, not the outcome I was expecting but I am not disappointed yet
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 10th Sep 19, 2:56 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 22,247 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    NSD No 7

Ironing done, house tidied and remainder of yesterday's meals for lunch and dinner today. Bolognese from freezer for the Boy's dinner.

Potted up the basil. It's looking a bit droopy but I think it'll perk up.

Still haven't found the missing bit of the hoover. Must be somewhere in that cupboard but I just can't see where.

SSDD23 - Hope the improvement on the foot continues
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

937Posts Today

7,028Users online

Martin's Twitter