Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • molokoid
    • By molokoid 29th Jun 08, 4:46 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 14Thanks
    molokoid
    Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?
    • 29th Jun 08, 4:46 PM
    Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route? 29th Jun 08 at 4:46 PM
    Hi all,

Moved into a house in Jan that has a bulk LPG tank, which was previously supplied (and the tank is owned by) Calor. The contract they were really keen for me to sign was quite a restrictive lock in one and after speaking and a bit of negotiating they dropped the standing charge and discounted the pence per litre by 12%. This only made me sceptical that they had a lot of fat in the price anyway and there seems to be limited information available on the net about bulk lpg supply (lots of websites that will find you the cheapest supply for a fee!). Seems to be crying out for a MSE article if there are enough bulk lpg owners out there.

Anyway, i read that there is some sort of regulation coming into the market which allows me to choose the supplier i wish and in turn they buy the tank off the previous owners. This seems to be a more market competitive way of doing it, but i can't find out when this is due to happen.

Are there any bulk lpg owners out there that can give me some advice?

TIA
Page 166
    • JerryW
    • By JerryW 4th May 19, 6:29 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    JerryW
    Totally agree. Sadly the LPG sector does not benefit from a regulator so all suppliers will try it on. It's high time the Government stepped in...
    Originally posted by Mister G
    There isn't an LPG regulator but there is an Ombudsman. It is funded by the industry itself and thus suspect - but claims it is independent. Although a couple of posters here say they have approached/will approach it, they have never fed back how they got on.
    • bobmac62
    • By bobmac62 6th Jun 19, 2:37 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    bobmac62
    Woldlink pricing june 2019
    ]Good news, Woldlink have advised June pricing at 27.89ppl + 5% VAT for those on monthly pricing schedule. This is down over 3ppl from May level. This is in stark contrast to the petrol/diesel pricing levels recently.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 6th Jun 19, 3:48 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    Mister G
    ]Good news, Woldlink have advised June pricing at 27.89ppl + 5% VAT for those on monthly pricing schedule. This is down over 3ppl from May level. This is in stark contrast to the petrol/diesel pricing levels recently.
    Originally posted by bobmac62
    Indeed, very good news. That probably makes LPG nearly as cheap to run as mains gas, and certainly cheaper than oil.
    • Benight
    • By Benight 10th Jun 19, 3:23 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Benight
    Originally posted by bobmac62
    Our Asda store recently dropped the drice of diesel by 3ppl. Petrol was reduced too, but not sure by how much.

Other local supermarkets were forced to follow suit.
    • bobmac62
    • By bobmac62 2nd Jul 19, 11:34 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    bobmac62
    Woldlink pricing july 2019
    LPG prices for July advised at 32.27ppl +5% VAT for those on monthly pricing schedule, up from 27.89ppl last month.
    • Phil.UK
    • By Phil.UK 29th Jul 19, 7:43 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Phil.UK
    For people looking for a real world price.
    I have just secured a new 2 year deal with Flogas for 33p/L for year 1, 35.5p/L for year 2. Plus £85 + 5% VAT standing charge for an underground tank.

This was as a new customer (moving into a new property) currently supplied by Flogas. I had initially moved to Avanti (who offered 33p/L / 36p/L plus £100 + 5% VAT standing charge) but Flogas called me 2 days after switching with the new offer.

This is in the Oxfordshire area.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Phil.UK; 29-07-2019 at 7:45 AM. Reason: Added standing charge info
    • bobmac62
    • By bobmac62 2nd Aug 19, 11:10 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    bobmac62
    Woldlink pricing august 2019
    Pricing for August now advised as 30.95ppl +5% VAT, down slightly from July's price of 32.27ppl.
    • shambly
    • By shambly 2nd Aug 19, 4:17 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    shambly
    We're currently surveying the market, having been with Flogas for 6 years (negotiating hard every 2 years). Currently paying a not-too-unreasonable 35p/L (it was 27.8p/L in year 1 including the cash back given).

So far, for the next two years, we have (prior to any negotiation)

Calor: 38p/L start. 3.5p/L increase every 3 months, so ending 2 years on 66p/L
    Flogas: 37p/L for year 1. 49p/L for year 2.
    Avanti: 33p/L for year 1. 3p/L increase every 6 months in year 2 so ending on 39p/L.
    HBS (local): flat rate of 45p/L for the two years

All bar Flogas can increase over those caps based on price of gas rather than operational costs and I know none will increase less than that cap....

Looks like I'll have to negotiate really hard this time around....
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 2nd Aug 19, 5:19 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    Mister G
    We're currently surveying the market, having been with Flogas for 6 years (negotiating hard every 2 years). Currently paying a not-too-unreasonable 35p/L (it was 27.8p/L in year 1 including the cash back given).

Avanti: 33p/L for year 1. 3p/L increase every 6 months in year 2 so ending on 39p/L.

All bar Flogas can increase over those caps based on price of gas rather than operational costs and I know none will increase less than that cap....

Originally posted by shambly
    I've been using HBS for several years now. Our buying club in the village (15 of us) have secured a price of 30ppl for the past 4 years. We are only 4 miles from their depot though!

Perhaps you could talk to your neighbours?
    • RandomTask
    • By RandomTask 27th Aug 19, 9:00 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    RandomTask

Originally posted by shambly
    I'm in Fife and had similar quotes, not nearly as good as 2 years ago.

Calor - 36p/L variable for 2 years or 38p/L fixed for 2 years.
    Avanti: 33p/L for year 1. 3p/L increase every 6 months.

Awaiting a quote from Flogas still.

I've previously had a better offer from Calor once I'd submitted the tank transfer paperwork with Avanti.
    • HuwYnyr
    • By HuwYnyr 28th Aug 19, 7:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    HuwYnyr
    I live on the Llŷn Peninsula and I’m due for my Contract Renewal with Calor. So in the meantime I’ve been shopping around for quotes before I had an answer from Calor.
    The first offer was by Avanti, who offered me 34ppl fixed for 1 year (+5% VAT) then variable for the 2nd year. £66 standing charge.

Flogas offered me 34ppl fixed for 1 year and then the price wouldn’t increase more than 3p during the 2nd year. £60 standing charge.

Calor then came with an offer of decreasing from my current 41ppl to 36ppl and capped for 6 months. Variable thereafter. I felt this offer was a joke, so I’ve emailed them back asking if they can match or beat the other offers I’ve been given. This was a week ago and yet no reply.
    • RandomTask
    • By RandomTask 2nd Sep 19, 2:12 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    RandomTask
    I emailed Avanti and said my usage was higher than I was quoted for initially - 3400 l/year which I think is about right.

They improved their offer to 31p/l fixed for 12 months then max 3p/l increase in a 6 month period. So I've asked to proceed with that.
    • bobmac62
    • By bobmac62 4th Sep 19, 7:49 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    bobmac62
    Woldlink pricingseptember 201999
    Monthly pricing from Woldlink advised at 29.15ppl +5% VAT, down slightly from August level of 30.95ppl
    • collectors
    • By collectors 26th Sep 19, 1:58 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    collectors
    Wold link just quoted me 37p a liter ???
    A couple of years ago i tried to join Woldlink but couldn't because they was affiliated with Flogas. Now, 2 years later i just asked for a quote & a young lady "[Name removed by Forum Team]" told me 37.5 pence per litre fixed for the first 12 months with Avanti, "i assume this is + vat"where i see others on this forum at 10p less. "This was for around 1800-2000L per year.
    Are they just a broker & can anyone recommend another supplier.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam2; 26-09-2019 at 7:45 PM.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 26th Sep 19, 3:11 PM
    • 24,955 Posts
    • 24,353 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Just had my renewal notice through from Calor. Currently 36.5p - unable to offer me a fixed price at present, instant +5p the moment the fix ends, max rise of +3.5p in any quarter else I can bail... So that could be 69.5p at the end of the two years... Hmm. To the emails, batman!
    • bobmac62
    • By bobmac62 15th Oct 19, 4:01 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    bobmac62
    Woldlink pricing october 2019
    Rather belatedly, Woldlink monthly pricing confirmed at 32.61ppl + 5% VAT, around 3ppl more than September. Oh dear, winter drawers on!
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Oct 19, 4:11 PM
    • 24,955 Posts
    • 24,353 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Just had my renewal notice through from Calor. Currently 36.5p - unable to offer me a fixed price at present, instant +5p the moment the fix ends, max rise of +3.5p in any quarter else I can bail... So that could be 69.5p at the end of the two years... Hmm. To the emails, batman!
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Avanti were the only ones that are happy to fix at all. 38p 1st year, floating in 2nd year, no more than 3p/quarter increase.

Cardiff - floating, starting at 43p
    Callow - floating, starting at 43.5p
    Flo - not even a reply.
    They're the only suppliers in this area, according to LPGA.

Bit of a difference to last time - 33p 1st year fix, £250 free gas...!
    • JerryW
    • By JerryW 16th Oct 19, 8:27 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    JerryW
    I have had a letter from Avanti, stating that now the 12 month fixed period has expired they are increasing the price by 7.15p/l (from 32.9p/l).
    The contract states a maximum increase of 3p in any six month period. However it has the usual get-out clause about underlying increases in the wholesale cost of gas

I will object, and see what happens ...
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th Oct 19, 8:35 AM
    • 24,955 Posts
    • 24,353 Thanks
    AdrianC
    When is a fix not a fix...?
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 16th Oct 19, 10:43 AM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    Mister G
    When is a fix not a fix...?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    When it's anything to do with LPG!

My local independent has just informed me of a rise from 30ppl to 33ppl, but at least he did me a fill at the old price.

Not too bad considering.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

698Posts Today

7,237Users online

Martin's Twitter