Severn Trent Water proactive meter exchange programme

Hi All,

Is there anyone out there who has had a new water meter installed recently as part of Severn Trent's 'proactive meter exchange programme' and could tell me how long it took the engineer to do the job? Thanks.

Comments

• carly
    carly Posts: 1,414 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    1. First man turned up and looked at the current meter fitted under my sink. Sharp intake of breath and said that it was complicated and thast he couldnt do it. They would arrange for a senior engineer to call.

Subsequently, I had a letter from Severn Trent saying that my home was found to be unsuitable for a meter as the pipes / stopcock were faulty and That I would have to go onto their tariff based on RV of property.

I telephoned them and queried this, it seems the first man made up some storyto excuse his inability to do the job.

Another workman called two weeks later and completed the job in less than 30 mins. He laughed and couldnt understand why the first man hadnt done it. There was no problem whatsoever.
  • babe-ruth
    babe-ruth Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi All,

Is there anyone out there who has had a new water meter installed recently as part of Severn Trent's 'proactive meter exchange programme' and could tell me how long it took the engineer to do the job? Thanks.

Hello firefly, what exactly is a proactive meter please?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    babe-ruth wrote: »
    Hello firefly, what exactly is a proactive meter please?

Severn Trent's 'proactive meter exchange programme'

I assume it is a proactive programme of meter exchanges!
  • firefly1818
    firefly1818 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 26 July 2019 at 12:18PM
    Hi Carly, Thanks for your reply and I really wish that the engineer who came to my house had done the same as your first engineer i.e. walked away because I've had nothing but problems since the installation of the new water meter. The engineer was here for all of 10 minutes and in that time removed a secondary stop-tap and connected piping and replaced the former meter with the new one. There now seems to be a problem with the stop-tap which was stiff to turn and now it's too loose. Never had any problems with the stop-tap, water meter or water supply until this visit a couple of weeks ago so it's an issue caused by this engineer.
  • Correct, Cardew. I pinched the term from the Severn Trent Water letter :)
  • Hello, my meter was exchanged yesterday. Our engineer advised that the Proactive Meter Exchange Programme is replacing the old meter with a radio emmitting one so that the company can take meter readings using 'drive by' rather than having to come to the house. The engineer arrived, gave us 5 minutes to fill up some water containers and kettle then turned the water off. He was here for about 20 minutes then re-established the water and left. My meter is external to the house on the feed pipe by my front door. No issues since and all seems OK with the supply.  Hopefully it's not leaking and currently saturating the foundations..............damn it, now I feel I need to go and check :-)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback