How old is vintage?

I have an item of clothing and was wondering if I should list it as vintage? How old would an item of clothing have to be for you to call it vintage?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have an item of clothing and was wondering if I should list it as vintage? How old would an item of clothing have to be for you to call it vintage?

There is no proper definition. I am on several vintage forums and some insist on 50 years old as a cut off but others basically accept anything prior to about 1990 as vintage. I have certainly sold 1970s jewellery on eBay as vintage.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Plenty of brand new "Vintage" items for sale.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• alykatz
    alykatz Posts: 926 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I was always told 20 years before it can be classed as vintage and 100 for antique.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    alykatz wrote: »
    I was always told 20 years before it can be classed as vintage and 100 for antique.

100 years for antiques definitely but I think vintage very much depends on who it was that told you it was 20 years. I am on several groups that buy and sell vintage items and each one has their own definition of vintage and woe betide anyone who dares argue. I've never seen it as low as 20 years though, as that only goes back to1999!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    In the US anything over 20 years old was antique. Not sure if they still use that figure though?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• A few years ago I was selling my late husbands collection. All dated from 1950 to 1985 (ish). I listed them as vintage just the same as every other seller as this differentiated them from new or nearly new. It seemed to be an unwritten rule.
    However, EVERY time I listed I got a message from one man who sent me the same message - '19XX is not vintage. Your description is misleading and I will be reporting you to ebay.'
    I contacted ebay and they said block him, he is well known to be contacting many seller in the category.
    I had contact with 2 other sellers and they had received emails too
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    A vintage car is quite specific. It is a car built between 1919 and 1930.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Vintage simply means something that originated in a specific time period.
    You can have wine that is 2018 Vintage. It's not old of course.

Vintage clothing simply suggests that it is not new, and is of a particular period.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,297 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Whether something will sell in the vintage clothing category for more than it might in the general clothing category probably depends on the item itself - does it appear dated?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • alykatz
    alykatz Posts: 926 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    soolin wrote: »
    100 years for antiques definitely but I think vintage very much depends on who it was that told you it was 20 years. I am on several groups that buy and sell vintage items and each one has their own definition of vintage and woe betide anyone who dares argue. I've never seen it as low as 20 years though, as that only goes back to1999!
    To be honest, I can't remember now, it was over 30 years ago, I think you are right and it depends who you are talking to about vintage items in the first place. And I'm not a business seller like you, so not as well placed to know.

Given that eBay sellers use vintage new as a description for a lot of what they sell I do tend to mentally block out the vintage tag
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure