Pensioners with younger partners won't be able to claim pension credit under new rules - MSE News

Options

Comments

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    LHW99 wrote: »
    Nothing can have been learned from the WASPE fiasco.

What we learned from the WASPI fiasco is:

1) It doesn't matter how much notice you give because people who want to believe they've been cheated will protest regardless.

(In fact, it is a bad idea to give too much notice, because then when the change happens, the evidence that you gave notice becomes mothballed and forgotten. Back issues of newspapers and magazines plus a mass of anecdotal evidence show beyond doubt that the majority of the population were well aware of the changes to State Pension Age made by the 1995 Pensions Act. But WASPI's lie that there was no notice has some credibility because no-one remembers what was in the newspapers in 1994 and 1995. You have to use Factiva which very few people have access to.

By contrast if the changes made by the 1995 Pensions Act had taken effect five years later, nobody would be able to claim that they didn't know because all the newspaper articles, leaflets and TV news items would be too fresh in everyone's minds.)

2) It doesn't matter whether they protest as they won't get what they want. WASPI has been soundly defeated on every single front. When the judicial review takes place in June they still aren't going to get their £30,000 cheque from the Government.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 January 2019 at 1:17PM
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    What we learned from the WASPI fiasco is:

1) It doesn't matter how much notice you give because people who want to believe they've been cheated will protest regardless.

(In fact, it is a bad idea to give too much notice, because then when the change happens, the evidence that you gave notice becomes mothballed and forgotten. Back issues of newspapers and magazines plus a mass of anecdotal evidence show beyond doubt that the majority of the population were well aware of the changes to State Pension Age made by the 1995 Pensions Act. But WASPI's lie that there was no notice has some credibility because no-one remembers what was in the newspapers in 1994 and 1995. You have to use Factiva which very few people have access to.

By contrast if the changes made by the 1995 Pensions Act had taken effect five years later, nobody would be able to claim that they didn't know because all the newspaper articles, leaflets and TV news items would be too fresh in everyone's minds.)

2) It doesn't matter whether they protest as they won't get what they want. WASPI has been soundly defeated on every single front. When the judicial review takes place in June they still aren't going to get their £30,000 cheque from the Government.

Exactly. My mum died in 1995, after being house-bound for at least 3 months. She didn't read the Financial Times or Hansard - just the tabloids and women's magazines - yet she certainly knew all about the changes, because she had gripe about it (on my and my sister's behalf).

My theory is that these WASPI women did read about the changes in the mid 1990s - but ignored them on the grounds that 'this only applies to pensioners - nothing to do with 39 year old me'.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    MSE_Naomi wrote: »
    Pensioners who live in a couple will only be able to make a new claim for pension credit when both partners are over the state pension age, under new rules to come into effect in May]

Seems reasonable enough.
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    “ Pensioners who live in a couple will only be able to make a new claim for pension credit when both partners are over the state pension age, under new rules to come into effect in May]
    Originally posted by MSE Naomi
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Seems reasonable enough.

Back in the 1940s, the problem of men not being able to claim the married rate State pension until their (usually younger) wives also reached State pension age was addressed by - lowering women's State pension age from 65 to 60. And now look at all the problems that caused !
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    LHW99 wrote: »
    I see the original plan was brought out in 2012 (from the end of the MSE article). So 7 years notice, which I thought was going to be 10 years for these sort of changes. Nothing can have been learned from the WASPE fiasco.
    Why are we still giving any time to this bunch of women (WASPI) who had an ill-conceived plan that was doomed to failure?
  • Silvertabby
    edited 17 January 2019 at 2:34PM
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Why are we still giving any time to this bunch of women (WASPI) who had an ill-conceived plan that was doomed to failure?

Brace yourself for the whinging when the results of the review are in, confirming that the changes WERE right and equitable. No doubt there are some silly minnies out there who have already spent their 'windfall' !
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Brace yourself for the whinging when the results of the review are in, confirming that the changes WERE right and equitable. No doubt there are some silly minnies out there who have already spent their 'windfall' !
    Well I haven't as I never expected anything to come of it.

As you may remember I'm a woman impacted by both women's state pension age changes but never agreed with WASPI's 'ask'.

I am however enjoying spending my state pension and the spare money from not having to buy a weekly bus ticket. :j
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Well I haven't as I never expected anything to come of it.

As you may remember I'm a woman impacted by both women's state pension age changes but never agreed with WASPI's 'ask'.

I am however enjoying spending my state pension and the spare money from not having to buy a weekly bus ticket. :j

Me too. Another 3 years to go before I get my State pension, but I still retired at 60 as planned. I had to fight for equality - especially as a woman in the Armed Forces in the 70s and 80s - so the last thing I would want is to go backwards.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Me too. Another 3 years to go before I get my State pension, but I still retired at 60 as planned. I had to fight for equality - especially as a woman in the Armed Forces in the 70s and 80s - so the last thing I would want is to go backwards.
    Yes, I remembered you were one of the 'born in 1960's' women totally disregarded by WASPI.

Anyway, enough of the 'silly minnies'.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    My theory is that these WASPI women did read about the changes in the mid 1990s - but ignored them on the grounds that 'this only applies to pensioners - nothing to do with 39 year old me'.

My theory is that many heard about the rises, heard that it was going to be 65 in 2020 and assumed it didn't apply to them as they were 60 before 2020.

Seems incredulous that they thought there would be an overnight rise from 60 to 65 but many did.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure