Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Comments

• Hi Folks,

Here is this weekend's update.

- Saffron BS account updated with details to show current details about how the account can be opened (I think the details in my entry were true at the time I wrote it but have changed at some point since then)

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are on the first page
  • sully1311
    sully1311 Posts: 375
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Any rumours of the next Virgin Regular Saver issue?
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,820
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    sully1311 wrote: »
    Any rumours of the next Virgin Regular Saver issue?
    I don't understand what difference a rumour would make.

If Virgin Money decide to offer a new regular saver they will put it on their website and/or in their branches and that is all that matters.

I am pretty sure though that someone on this site will post here within a few minutes of it being announced.
  • vermania
    vermania Posts: 64
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Nottingham BS Go for Gold Follow On matures on 31 January. They wrote with maturity options on 15 January:
    To withdraw your money just let your branch know or write to us; including your passbook. If you want to transfer your funds externally, please note that they will be available from 1 February.

Letter promptly sent off with passbook asking for a bank transfer.

Individually written letter arrives today, with passbook, saying (paraphrase) "we charge £30 for CHAPS transfers. Please confirm you want to pay £30 for a CHAPS transfer by return... Or we could pay a check."

No mention of BACS/Faster Payment at all - though not even ruled out in the original letter. Just a little bit annoying that the cheque will probably arrive on 4 February, pay in earliest 5 February with all the faff, but probably won't fully clear until 11 February.

Maybe it is worth sharing on this thread which institutions have not yet adopted Faster Payments for maturity payments. It's been around long enough and Nottingham BS is surely large enough to manage it. Surely, it is easier for them?

Any other such experience with them?
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 25 January 2019 at 10:14PM
    vermania wrote: »
    Nottingham BS Go for Gold Follow On matures on 31 January. They wrote with maturity options on 15 January:

Letter promptly sent off with passbook asking for a bank transfer.

Individually written letter arrives today, with passbook, saying (paraphrase) "we charge £30 for CHAPS transfers. Please confirm you want to pay £30 for a CHAPS transfer by return... Or we could pay a check."

No mention of BACS/Faster Payment at all - though not even ruled out in the original letter. Just a little bit annoying that the cheque will probably arrive on 4 February, pay in earliest 5 February with all the faff, but probably won't fully clear until 11 February.

Maybe it is worth sharing on this thread which institutions have not yet adopted Faster Payments for maturity payments. It's been around long enough and Nottingham BS is surely large enough to manage it. Surely, it is easier for them?

Any other such experience with them?

Been with Notts BS for years and had dozens of RS with them.

Only painless and free option is a cheque in my experience.

No big deal in my opinion.

PS funds are actually available on the first.
    PPS fantastic institution and staff
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Been with Notts BS for years and had dozens of RS with them.

Agreed on all counts.

The other option if the maturity date is close to the start of a month is to get the matured funds transferred into other Notts RS accounts (in branch) with the balance paid by cheque. There isn't much to be gained from doing so, but it might be convenient for some people.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Been with Notts BS for years and had dozens of RS with them.

I've had half a dozen. OK.

It's inconvenient if you don't work near a bank. It means the money isn't actually available to me in a usable bank account until a week afterwards. In this day and age, etc. etc.

Thanks in any case. I'll leave it there as it's not a discussion thread.
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,095
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Some branches of some banks are into faster cheque clearance.

Could be worth checking.
  • Hi Everybody,

I cannot see anything that has changed for this weekend's update.

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are on the first page
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,805
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    For those who do not want to open their Monthly Saver over the phone, just want to let you know you could now open it online it will just take less than 5 min to open it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure