Lowell Financial Ltd???

Options

Comments

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Surely they'll then know I am Mrs SS, at the address they have. At the moment they just seem to be fishing for a response. No debt actually mentioned.

The letter is a "we've been passed your details.. please get in touch to discuss" type of thing.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sea Shell - just ignore them, do not write, email or phone, ignore.

The time to respond is if they send you details of what they say you owe and/or what they are chasing you for and, at this point you send them a provit letter asking them to prove it is actually you who is the debtor.

Sample letter available here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247

Also do not give them any of your data, such as date of birth, full name, etc etc
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Surely they'll then know I am Mrs SS, at the address they have. At the moment they just seem to be fishing for a response. No debt actually mentioned.

The letter is a "we've been passed your details.. please get in touch to discuss" type of thing.

They are fishing. They probably have been given a debt owed by someone with a similar name and/or date of birth or perhaps some other details.

They are fishing to see if you are the debtor or just someone shares some commonality.

It's up to you how you want to play it really but if it genuinely isn't you then you should be able to get them to erase any data they erroneously have about you.
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    Well a further letter has now come saying I owe money dating back to 2010. £4000 odd quid. I guess I'd better start work on my prove it letter!!!

It definitely isn't me, as I've never had an account with the people they mention.

Nothing on Noddle either.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • waamo
    Options
    You could also include a Subject Access Request asking for any and all information they hold on you.

It is now free and might show some interesting information.
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    Should I use Recorded delivery, registered post or just 1st class with proof of postage ( from PO)?
  • waamo
    Options
    I don't see any point in paying extra for postage so use first class.
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    I'm amazed that it's legal for them to just trawl data for similar names etc, and then tell people they owe money without proof up-front. I have a pretty uncommon surname, so I wonder if these are the ones they target. Much smaller pool to fish from, rather than being a Mrs Smith.

It's all very well someone like me gets a letter like this (money savvy and meticulous over finances!! - "Spreadsheet Philippa"!!) with my MSE helpers on hand...but what of the more vulnerable person, who will get into a tail-spin over it and even pay, without question, for fear of being pursued further.

I'll report back what, if anything, I hear further from them. Hopefully a "Sorry, No, it's not you" letter.
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    I've had a response to my "prove it" from Lowell. Basically it says...

...we are currently undertaking an investigation into the account....until then all collections activity will cease...we'll be in touch again in due course.

So it's a case of wait and see (still).
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    I've not heard anything more back from them since this letter. Should I just file the correspondence now (to be shredded at some stage) or should I write again asking for their specific confirmation that the matter is now closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback