DWP mistake in black and white!

Hi,
In August I attended a f2f assessment for transition from DLA to PIP, and whilst my Care component was increased, I lost my high rate mobility.
Needless to say MR came back as their decision upheld, so I started tribunal proceedings.
Today I have received all the paperwork that the DWP have sent to the Tribunal, so decided to go through it all.
On Activity Descriptor 12. Moving around, the assessor has written:

Therefore it is reasonable to suggest that she can stand and then move around more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided

Why am I having to fight for my high rate mobility to be restored, when the assessor has written that I am eligible for it?
I phoned DWP to ask for an explanation and was told as it was now going through the tribunal process, someone from DWP will go through my paperwork and this will probably be flagged up, meaning they will change their decision before it reaches the appeal hearing!

I would be interested to hear what you think about this.
Has similar happened to you?

Many thanks

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    DWP do sometimes change decision following MR and going to tribunal. If they do the appeal is halted (although you can still MR and appeal the revised decision if appropriate).

Although you have spoken to DWP it may be worth you writing to them to draw their attention to what you have discovered and invite them to review the decision prior to tribunal - would be interested to know what others think.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    I wouldn't hold my breath that somebody at DWP will notice it before the Tribunal but at least you have solid evidence that the initial decision was wrong.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Regardless of whether or not you write direct to DWP you should right to the tribunal service highlighting any errors, discrepancies and things you disagree with. Your letter will then be copied to DWP by the tribunal service (although I suspect DWP will not read it).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • cantcope
    cantcope Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    what the assessor has written doesnt necessarily agree with what the decision maker decided. you need to find the decision letter and the reasos for their decision. if that says the same then i'd not worry at all about your tribunal as theyll just make themselves look stupid. again.
    Last bet : 26th Oct 2006:j Debt free 25th Feb 2008:j Living "my" dream:T
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    $izzle$ wrote: »
    Hi,
    In August I attended a f2f assessment for transition from DLA to PIP, and whilst my Care component was increased, I lost my high rate mobility.
    Needless to say MR came back as their decision upheld, so I started tribunal proceedings.
    Today I have received all the paperwork that the DWP have sent to the Tribunal, so decided to go through it all.
    On Activity Descriptor 12. Moving around, the assessor has written:

Therefore it is reasonable to suggest that she can stand and then move around more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided

Why am I having to fight for my high rate mobility to be restored, when the assessor has written that I am eligible for it?
    I phoned DWP to ask for an explanation and was told as it was now going through the tribunal process, someone from DWP will go through my paperwork and this will probably be flagged up, meaning they will change their decision before it reaches the appeal hearing!

I would be interested to hear what you think about this.
    Has similar happened to you?

Many thanks

As someone else has said - you need to look at the decision letter and see why the decision maker made a different decision. They usually follow the assessor's recommendation but not in all cases. It may not be a mistake - the decision maker may have disagreed with the assessor.

IQ
  • Thank you all so much for your replies.
    If it ISa case of the decision maker disagreeing with the assessor, then it makes me wonder what we are paying Atos and the other company billions of pounds for, in that case, because my gp would have been happy to give them my health report for free, as she is doing with the tribunal.
    After all, she has treated me for years and knows exactly what is going on with my health, unlike the decision maker who doesn’t know me from Adam!
    I will definitely send a letter to the tribunal with a copy of the page showing what she wrote during my assessment, and wait and see what happens.
    Will report back.

Thanks again
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The DWP decision maker can override the assessors report. As others have said the reasons for this should be included in the DWP's evidence bundle - probably in the first few pages.

Getting supportive medical records / a letter from your GP confirming that you cannot reliably walk 20m for the majority of the time will be very useful. Also evidence from family members / carers / etc will all add to your case.
    It's worth writing a clear, concise statement to the Tribunal Service (TS) explaining why the assessor was correct and the DWP DM incorrect (quote the relevant page numbers from the DWP evidence bundle in your statement rather than sending the actual pages). Include the compelling evidence from your GP / extracts from medical records etc.

The TS will distribute evidence received to all parties ( the DWP, your representative if you have one). Another DWP decision will review this before the tribunal hearing, so it's in your interest to make your statement as clear and compelling as possible - just sending the page from the DWP evidence bundle may not be sufficient, and without clear explanation may just confuse.

This is a useful guide to navigating a PIP appeal -
    https://www.advicenow.org.uk/guides/how-win-pip-appeal
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I had a DWP decision maker override a decision made by health assessors (and another DM).

Basically I scored enough points for mobility but not for daily living. I was awarded full points for being unable to prepare a meal at all.

I put in a MR pointing out that the assessor had made reference to me being unable to use knives in the cooking part but then said I was safe to cut up a 3mm sized pill which was a contradiction and I felt I should score for needing assistance to take medication. I also stated that she'd failed to consider that I needed assistance with more than 3.5 hours of therapy a week. Combining those points with the points I already had should have gained me enhanced daily living.

The DWP awarded me standard daily living, they agreed that I needed help to take medication and with therapy but downgraded my meals award saying I could use a microwave. Someone point me towards seizure safe Tupperware dishes and I'll start using those, until then I'm still stuck over here in no cooking limbo.

I didn't appeal as I was already stressed out my box by this point.
  • Thank you also to Alice Holt and Glaswejen for your input too.
    I will be writing to the tribunal service, giving the page number, as they will have received exactly the same package of paperwork that I have received.

Glaswejen, I’m so sorry you weren’t able to appeal the Care component part of your claim, it is unacceptable that the stress you experienced made your condition worse, to the point where you felt you couldn’t fight them any more and just accepted their decision.

Take care everyone
    $izzle$
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    $izzle$ wrote: »
    Thank you also to Alice Holt and Glaswejen for your input too.
    I will be writing to the tribunal service, giving the page number, as they will have received exactly the same package of paperwork that I have received.

Glaswejen, I’m so sorry you weren’t able to appeal the Care component part of your claim, it is unacceptable that the stress you experienced made your condition worse, to the point where you felt you couldn’t fight them any more and just accepted their decision.

Take care everyone
    $izzle$

You'll breeze through a tribunal with evidence like that to be fair.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure