FTL: Faster than light $2.50 until about midday today!

Weird_Nev
Weird_Nev Posts: 1,383 Forumite
edited 5 July 2013 at 6:19AM in Gaming MoneySaving
Hey all,
I wouldn't be recommending this game unless I loved it. I paid $10 and thought that was good value, but for $2.50 this is some great value for money gaming!

Faster Than Light

In short, it's an old Skool strategy game. You are a space ship captain, on a very important mission. Under resourced, and in a hostile galaxy, it is your job to guide your craft across several star systems until you meet your final destiny. Buy upgrades, recruit staff, and come to the rescue of those in distress whilst avoiding the clutches of Pirates. It's hard, very hard (I recommend you play on easy until you get to grips with it) and fate can be a cruel mistress. You'll always be balancing the health of the ship with the health of the people on it, and power from shield to weapons and back again. However, with skill and just a smidge of luck, perhaps you can save the universe!

(Check PC sepcs before purchase, whilst not requiiring a powerhouse you do need 3D accelerated graphics to play and your computer must suppost at least 1280x720 resolution)

(hints and tips without being spoilers: Spacebar pauses. Learn to use this to your advantage. Door control is very important for fighting fires and intruders. Keep close check on fuel. Spend as long as possible in each sector before jumping out. Keep your staff healthy!)

Comments

• Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Even at the full price i paid, it's a bargain. Quite addictive....or it was until i found Terraria!
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Steve-o
    Steve-o Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    Are the events random, and/or does each play-through feel the same?
    I have no signature.
  • Steve-o
    And it's also showing up as $9.99 for me. :(
    I have no signature.
  • Retrogamer
    Steve-o wrote: »
    Are the events random, and/or does each play-through feel the same?

A lot of stuff is random. It never feels the same playing through it and sometimes a decision that was good in one game, will be bad in the next.
  • Steve-o
    I was quite shocked at the system requirements needed for this, for what is only a 2D game. Unless there is massively complicated AI going on under the hood, it seems like sloppy programming.
    I have no signature.
  • Weird_Nev
    I was quite shocked at the system requirements needed for this, for what is only a 2D game. Unless there is massively complicated AI going on under the hood, it seems like sloppy programming.
    It doesn't need much. And it's not only "2d", a lot of stuff is 2D projected 3D renderings. You don't even "need" a 3D Gfx card, a rarity these days. There's certainly nothing complex about the AI.

Each play through feels unique enough for me to have perhaps 100 play throughs (or attempts). There are plenty of random events, and some scripts only come to play in certain sectors. With each sector being randomly generated, and the galaxy map also being random, it feels pretty fresh. There's also loads of ships to unlock, some of which promote a very different playing style from the initial ship.

Anyway, It's worth the money in my eyes. Hope some people managed to grab it at the bargain price.
  • Steve-o
    Minimum 2Ghz processor needed. My laptop is only 1.5Ghz. Thinking about it, the processor in my phone is faster. :rotfl:
    I have no signature.
  • Retrogamer
    2Ghz for old school single cores i believe
  • Weird_Nev
    Minimum 2Ghz processor needed. My laptop is only 1.5Ghz. Thinking about it, the processor in my phone is faster. :rotfl:
    you need to learn the difference between RISC and CISC architecture.

FTL runs fine on my 4 year old mid range laptop.
  • Weird_Nev
    Now $4.99 in the Steam Sale
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills