PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Owe landlord money? Needing new address!?

Back story- So I have a now 2 year old when we moved in she was turning 1. Place was great until it got ghetto noticing mould come through paint things falling apart that’s what you get when you pay 725 a month. I guess. Landlords dad lives in building constantly watching us, people have broke into the building nothing was done by landlord or police I called. Empty beer and needle tissues outside our door. Drunk people under us bugging us for money, ride, to use my phone sending their adult kids up to use my phone. Fastford a lot of !!!! we dealt with living there We were lucky to find a house unfortunately it was going to leave our current landlord a short notice. So I called her half month told her we are gone at the end of this month. No longer on a lease for months. Our new landlords we didn’t put our current one on the lease because she is also chines and hard to understand also because I didn’t trust what she would say we were great tenants and I know for a fact there are no damages and I told her she can keep the damage because I felt bad it wasn’t a full notice but it was not safe for our daughter to live there. She was fine with it. 3 days later she shows up at our apartment ringing my doorbell I was at work and my bf was in boxers so didn’t answer so I called and she said!!!!
THIS IS WHY IM POSTING- she said her husband told her we owe them half months rent because the short notice I said no that’s only if we are on a lease and she said we are. I told her no it went up month ago she then said ohhh yeh no it’s because you didn’t give us a full notice. Never heard of that unless on a lease. I’ve been told by everyone I told that it’s not true and to just get out SHE ALSO said I HAVE to give her my new address and I said I forgot we only found the house a few days ago! I know it I’m just not giving it to her because I do not want her showing up. I dealt with hell living there! Life threatening Situations where nothing was done about it. Told her I would give it to her when we go through the empty apartment to make sure no damages.
I am posting because is this allowed? It’s not to forward mail because I can pick that up at her restaurant if needed I have no important mail that I didn’t already change the address to. Also the half months rent because of short notice I would understand if it was stated in the agreement that I signed or told to when we moved in. But it’s not so? I have 2 weeks then we are out. And I deal with really bad panic attacks and anxiety & I feel like she will harass me as long as I’m there. Sorry I had to make it long so you could understand how badly we needed out.

Comments

• Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Shaylynp wrote: »
    Back story- So I have a now 2 year old when we moved in she was turning 1. Place was great until it got ghetto noticing mould come through paint things falling apart that’s what you get when you pay 725 a month. I guess. Landlords dad lives in building constantly watching us, people have broke into the building nothing was done by landlord or police I called. Empty beer and needle tissues outside our door. Drunk people under us bugging us for money, ride, to use my phone sending their adult kids up to use my phone. Fastford a lot of !!!! we dealt with living there We were lucky to find a house unfortunately it was going to leave our current landlord a short notice.
    All irrelevant unfortunately.
    So I called her half month told her we are gone at the end of this month. No longer on a lease for months. Our new landlords we didn’t put our current one on the lease because she is also chines and hard to understand also because I didn’t trust what she would say we were great tenants and I know for a fact there are no damages and I told her she can keep the damage because I felt bad it wasn’t a full notice but it was not safe for our daughter to live there. She was fine with it. 3 days later she shows up at our apartment ringing my doorbell I was at work and my bf was in boxers so didn’t answer so I called and she said!!!!
    Depending on the wording of your initial contract you may need to give 2 months notice or more for which you would be liable to pay rent.

Please read...
    Ending/renewing an AST
  • Annie35
    Annie35 Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    You don't have to give your new address no.

Are you saying you will let her keep the deposit in payment of short notice? Likely that will be the end of it if so & you can enjoy your new place
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    In the absence of anything in your contract after an AST ends and you go onto a periodic tenancy, its a month to month agreement. The landlord cant ask you to leave without giving a months notice and you can't just upsticks and go without also giving a months notice. If you leave early you have to pay until the end of the month.

So in fairness your LL is right and everyone you spoke to is wrong.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Back story- So I have a now 2 year old when we moved in she was turning 1. Place was great until it got ghetto noticing mould come through paint things falling apart that’s what you get when you pay 725 a month. I guess. Landlords dad lives in building constantly watching us, people have broke into the building nothing was done by landlord or police I called. Empty beer and needle tissues outside our door. Drunk people under us bugging us for money, ride, to use my phone sending their adult kids up to use my phone. Fastford a lot of !!!! we dealt with living there We were lucky to find a house unfortunately it was going to leave our current landlord a short notice. So I called her half month told her we are gone at the end of this month. No longer on a lease for months. Our new landlords we didn’t put our current one on the lease because she is also chines and hard to understand also because I didn’t trust what she would say we were great tenants and I know for a fact there are no damages and I told her she can keep the damage because I felt bad it wasn’t a full notice but it was not safe for our daughter to live there. She was fine with it. 3 days later she shows up at our apartment ringing my doorbell I was at work and my bf was in boxers so didn’t answer so I called and she said!!!!
    THIS IS WHY IM POSTING- she said her husband told her we owe them half months rent because the short notice I said no that’s only if we are on a lease and she said we are. I told her no it went up month ago she then said ohhh yeh no it’s because you didn’t give us a full notice. Never heard of that unless on a lease. I’ve been told by everyone I told that it’s not true and to just get out SHE ALSO said I HAVE to give her my new address and I said I forgot we only found the house a few days ago! I know it I’m just not giving it to her because I do not want her showing up. I dealt with hell living there! Life threatening Situations where nothing was done about it. Told her I would give it to her when we go through the empty apartment to make sure no damages.
    I am posting because is this allowed? It’s not to forward mail because I can pick that up at her restaurant if needed I have no important mail that I didn’t already change the address to. Also the half months rent because of short notice I would understand if it was stated in the agreement that I signed or told to when we moved in. But it’s not so? I have 2 weeks then we are out. And I deal with really bad panic attacks and anxiety & I feel like she will harass me as long as I’m there. Sorry I had to make it long so you could understand how badly we needed out.

You did have a lease and it was either a Contractual or Statutory Periodic Tenancy assuming this is in England or Wales. Read the information in the link provided by Slithery to find out how a periodic tenancy can be ended but based on the information you've given I'd be very surprised if you'd given sufficient notice despite what EVERYONE is telling you.

You don't need to supply your former landlord with your new address and she doesn't have to forward your post or take it to her restaurant for you to collect but as you say that you've changed your address for the important stuff that probably doesn't matter.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    In the absence of anything in your contract after an AST ends and you go onto a periodic tenancy, its a month to month agreement. The landlord cant ask you to leave without giving a months notice and you can't just upsticks and go without also giving a months notice. If you leave early you have to pay until the end of the month.

So in fairness your LL is right and everyone you spoke to is wrong.

Thought it was 2 months?
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Marvel1 wrote: »
    Thought it was 2 months?

2 months from landlord, 1 month from tenant.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite

So much irrelevant information, but if you don't want to give her your address then don't.
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    she is also chines and hard to understand
    how ironic.

As others have said a lot of the issues you were having are irrelevant and nothing to do with the landlord, e.g. people asking to use your phone.

To answer what I think was your question, no you do not need to give the old landlord your new address, but if your landlord thinks it is worthwhile to pursue you they might find out your address another way.

Did the new landlord not ask for a reference from the old landlord?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure