Is subway healthy?

peter12345678910
peter12345678910 Posts: 474 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
edited 15 January 2019 at 5:01PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
I normally eat the veggie delight with hearty Italian, no sauces as it tastes better, no soya veggie burger inside it as it has no taste. And non heated cheese.

They use to have fresh bread cooked smell, and now the breads seem a little off. There cheese is processed, black olives have dyes. There breads are supposed to be full of preservatives and now they never taste fresh. There jalapeno ...nice.

If I were to make a sandwich myself I would use vintage cheese, and better salads....even the wife had a stomach ache last time we went as the bread is never freshly baked except in the big shopping centres and always a bit off....she thinks the Mc Donalds veggie meal is better.

Am I the only one who thinks standards are falling with subway?
When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you. Nietzsche

Please note that at no point during this work was the kettle ever put out of commission and no chavs were harmed during the making of this post.

Comments

• Margins are very tight in a very competitive market so corners will be cut.
    It's probably healthier than KFC or McDs though.
  • Their bread has always been the thing that put me off - texture of cotton wool, and probably just as nutritious.

If you want to eat healthy - then buy healthy food.
    If you want to eat fast - then buy fast food.

Is subway healthy fast food? Well, you can pile on the salad, so it's better than many.
    But no-one is forcing you to buy it, so if you don't like it, then stop buying it.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • I never go to subway, all I'd be able to eat there is essentially a salad sandwich and I won't pay for that!

Cheese is never healthy though, for you or the dairy cows.
  • Their bread has always been the thing that put me off - texture of cotton wool, and probably just as nutritious.

If you want to eat healthy - then buy healthy food.
    If you want to eat fast - then buy fast food.

Is subway healthy fast food? Well, you can pile on the salad, so it's better than many.
    But no-one is forcing you to buy it, so if you don't like it, then stop buying it.

True nobody is forcing me to eat there, and essentially it is a salad sandwich with cheap iceberg lettuce and the cheapest and most processed cheese. I will try some new vegetarian recipes on YouTube, possibly I am getting lazy and impatient with food. I used to be a good cook...

Please note that at no point during this work was the kettle ever put out of commission and no chavs were harmed during the making of this post.
  • I never go to subway, all I'd be able to eat there is essentially a salad sandwich and I won't pay for that!

It is true, I did try vegan cheeses for a couple of months about 6 months ago and they are easy to make but they felt jelly like. And I enjoyed feeling healthier and cow products do make you feel bloated and cow like in life.

• Margins are very tight in a very competitive market so corners will be cut.
    It's probably healthier than KFC or McDs though.

I used to make my own bread with a very old bread machine, maybe I am also cutting corners, doing less and less....

• When ever I point my finger, I usually find I am pointing to myself.

• My local subway is a larger one and very busy, and they tend to have bread baking throughout the day so always seems fresh.

I do enjoy a subway from time to time, maybe once every 2 months, usually only if I haven't had time to prepare my own lunch and I don't fancy other fast food or a prepack sandwich.

I suppose like all catering businesses, they need to keep costs to a minimum so will use the cheapest ingredients where ever possible. And maybe they think most people will have one of the strong tasting sauces, so will mask or make up for the lower quality ingredients.
    Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite

That’s a bit random.
  • That’s a bit random.

Sone cheeses are worse, blue Stilton gave me very bad heart burn but I was eating it everyday. Feta has an important vitamin for veggies. Mature cheeses easier to digest, there is also pani cheese used in spinach curry dishes, and pizza has a similar cheese, many times for cheese, but moderation is the key with variety.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure