PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

JML Handy Heater

Anyone tried it? Online reviews are v mixed, so confusing!
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I actually have one now, but still haven't tried it. Why not? Because the heater hangs down from the plug socket, meaning that you have to have a certain drop between the socket and the floor in your ryder to operate it (it doesn't seem go like extension leads, presumably because they lay flat on the floor). So although i have one, I won't be using it anytime soon.

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It's a low powered 500 watt heater. It will probably heat your ankles if you sit close to it.

Which is better? 500W heater where you are limited in where it can be located for £40. It may not even be enough to counter the heat loss.
    Or
    A 2KW heater for £10 that you can move about?

Both will use the same amount of electricity to raise the temperature by one degree (assuming no draughts)
  • Techno
    Techno Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We bought one to add a little extra heat in the motorhome as you are limited to the number of amps you can draw when on hookup. It was OK but do need enough clearance and I wouldn't get one for the house.
    ;) If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
  • VfM4meplse
    unforeseen wrote: »
    It's a low powered 500 watt heater. It will probably heat your ankles if you sit close to it.

Which is better? 500W heater where you are limited in where it can be located for £40. It may not even be enough to counter the heat loss.
    Or
    A 2KW heater for £10 that you can move about?

Both will use the same amount of electricity to raise the temperature by one degree (assuming no draughts)
    I am lucky enough to wfh once a week, as is my brother in his own home. We both really wanted something small and efficient so we could sit in our respective studies with the door closed and not feel the chill, so he bought 2 @ BOGOHP, which worked out at GBP 30 a piece (my keyboard has become Americanised for some reason).

He'd completely renovated his home (hence modern high powerpoints, complete with USB chargers) and found the Handy Heater to work well for him. 60p for heating the room for the whole working day is an acceptable price to pay. a 2KW heater would cost closer to GBP 2.50. So I could pay GBP 5 vs GBP 20+ over 8 weeks. I keep stuff for years, and with further usage the extra cost could easily be recouped by 2020.

All this is academic of course, until I get new sockets in!

• coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,671 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    They are an innovative idea and no doubt have particular applications that they fit better than anything else. My worry would be longevity: electronics in close proximity to a high density heating element, as the two don’t tend to play well together. Be interested to know how long the heaters last.
  • unforeseen
    found the Handy Heater to work well for him. 60p for heating the room for the whole working day is an acceptable price to pay. a 2KW heater would cost closer to GBP 2.50
    As I said, both the 500W & 2KW heaters will use the same amount of electricity to raise the temperature by a certain amount.

If the 500W heater uses 60p of electricity to raise/hold the temp at x degs then the 2KW will use the same unless it is grossly inefficient. It doesn't use 4 times the amount because it has 4 times the power.
  • VfM4meplse
    unforeseen wrote: »
    As I said, both the 500W & 2KW heaters will use the same amount of electricity to raise the temperature by a certain amount.

If the 500W heater uses 60p of electricity to raise/hold the temp at x degs then the 2KW will use the same unless it is grossly inefficient. It doesn't use 4 times the amount because it has 4 times the power.
    I don't have a thermostat in my study, and guessing the electric devices have internal thermostat and cut-off mechanisms to prevent overheating but AFAIK none of them have external thermostats? The chances are I would switch any device on and keep it running. I can't imagine switching it on and off all day.

• unforeseen
    The internal thermostat works the same way as an external one by reacting to the air temperature around it. In a fan heaters case it's the temperature of the air being drawn in.

The only difference is that the fan heater will act on air temp at foot level and an external one is normally 4ft up a wall.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,671 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I don't have a thermostat in my study, and guessing the electric devices have internal thermostat and cut-off mechanisms to prevent overheating but AFAIK none of them have external thermostats? The chances are I would switch any device on and keep it running. I can't imagine switching it on and off all day.

The mini heaters I've seen let you set a target room temperature on the digital display and the heater then aims to maintain that temperature, which is neat.

Not sure they would last too long near floor level; they might get blocked up with carpet fluff, etc.
  • I bought one of these on a whim in Asda yesterday, and was trying it out in my home office today and I can honestly say, its pants. My office is smaill 2m x 3m and had the heater running all morning, and it made very little difference to the heat in the room.

I was hoping to use it rather than heating the entire house, but no the central heating has just had to go on. Handy Heater might be able to heat a small cupboard, but not thisroom, will be taking it back to Asda, today to get my money back. Shame as I really wanted this to work.

Cheers

Peter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family