Great Laser Eye Surgery Hunt

Comments

• Hi Cat
    just a quick note to say that i had mine done by Boots (although they stopped doing it the month after i had it done and didnt tell me) and it was painless and the best thing i ever did
  • I had Epi-Lasek surgery about 18 months ago with Optimax in Manchester. Very impressed with the results. Not only that they sent me an offer for buy one get one free so I got it all done for £495 (+£60 consultation).

The pain on the first night was incredible, however, my eyelids react badly to contact lenses so after a weekend of wearing the bandage lens I couldn't even open my eye. Once the lens was out though it was fine. Did take about 2 weeks for the haze to clear enough to get the other eye done.

Even if you are getting only one eye done, you still need someone to take you home. There is no way I could have gotten back if my Dad hadn't picked me up. When I opened my eyes it hurt, when I closed my eyes, the tears just built up behind my eyelid which hurt as well. When I had the second one done I must confess I ignored there advice with regards to pacing the pain killers and just ate all of theres while still in the clinic and had a stock of nurofen waiting for me at home. Seriously, jab yourself in the eye with a fork and leave it there while trying to fall asleep. It hurts. But it's worth it.

Aftercare was also very good.
    The guys in the locker room kid me about having a small vocabulary.
    I don't know why. Mine looks just as big as theirs.
  • deefadog
    deefadog Posts: 2,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Funny i was only talking about this today :)

To be honest i am after the best results and service, i think saving money is important, but i'd rather pay extra on my eyes :)

Do any of these companies do a discount if me and the wife want to have it done?
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Can this be successful for longsight aswell does anyone know please? I am 55 and for the last 5 years or so my sight has got worse to the point unless I find my glasses I cant read instructions on tablets bottles, cant read the paper, cant thread a needle.

Does it just work on short sight?
  • As you get older your eyesight naturally becomes longer (as the muscles get less effective), which is why many older short-sighted people are advised to only get one eye done. Your brain will compensate for the one poor eye, and then when you get older the poor eye will eventually become better than the corrected one, and again your brain will compensate.

So, while the surgery can correct long-sightedness, if you're older and your eyesight is deteriorating quickly then they might not consider you suitable.
  • Having had both of my eyes done under private medical insurance I acknowledge I am in a privileged position. I would however urge people contemplating this proceedure to be very careful in their choice of surgeon as one does not get a second chance if the operation goes wrong. This particular operation is extreemly delicate and requires a surgeon to make minute surgical movements. Errors cannot necessarily be corrected so all in all is saving money the prime consideration?
  • This is a bit off topic. I'm myopic and wear special contact lenses that you are allowed to sleep in. They last for a month and let alot more oxygen through than standard soft lenses (they are silicone hydrogels). If you have a fairly simple prescription (ie not too much astigmatism or particularly high lens powers) these could be a good and reversable choice.

I'm not too keen on laser as it is irreversable, can in some cases involve slicing into the cornea (lasik), no long term data exists for current procedures, it can affect night vision and contrast sensitvity. Also lasik cuts the corneal nerves which can sometimes lead to dry eyes as a result of reduced stimulation for tear production.

Obviously contacts have their pitfalls (eg infection risk, handling etc) but at least you can change your mind and prices are falling considerably of late. My advice I guess is do your research. Many people do seem happy with laser tho so I guess it is getting better with time.
  • anticlaus105, sounds like I wear the same type of lens as you! Mine are CibaVision night and day lenses and my prescription is -8. I started wearing them a few years ago as my 'final stage' before laser surgery (when I had the money which is looking further and further away!).

I would really love to be able to ditch lenses/glasses but am not sure whether this is be a viable option given my increased astigmatism. Also, I'm in my early 40s so I wonder if I'd have to wait a few more years to see if my eyes would be suitable for implants or whatever.
  • @ poorbabe: I do wear the Ciba N+D. Asda sell them for about £44 for 3 months supply BTW which seems cheap. Not sure about internet prices. Bausch and Lomb have released a toric silicone hydrogel (Purevision toric) that may be better for you but I can't recall what powers it goes up to (possibly only -6 on the sphere). It also has a lower oxygen performance than the ciba lens but is still passed for overnight wear. I'm surprised a toric version of the ciba lens isn't around yet.

Don't forget that after the age of 40 your reading vision will decline (sorry to ruin the party) due to presbyopia (the lens in your eye becoming less flexible with age). If you have laser you will still eventually need reading glasses but at -8 now you would still be better off i guess. Come to think of it you will start to need reading glasses over your contact anyway eventually. I'll shut up now...
  • W@LT
    W@LT Posts: 5 Forumite
    I am not really sure that when you are talking about a precision operation on your eyes you should be looking for 'Cheap'!!

Sure there are deals out there but please think long and hard before taking the cheapest option.

There is a lot at stake here so you need to be making a well informed decision before making your mind up.

First check out the technology that the clinic uses... Some lasers are years old.. Wavefront, Zyoptix & Intralase are good buzz words which indicate that the clinic concerned has invested well and is at the leading edge..

Also check out the surgeon (not the just the clinic).. Look into his qualifications and industry standing...

For continuity of care ake sure you have good access to the surgeon before and after surgery.....Some clinics use contracted roaming surgeons to do their operations. you may never see him again!!

Most of this info can be found on an independent web site dedicated to helping you make the right decision. https://www.lasik-eyes.co.uk

You only have one pair of eyes… Select wisely !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure