PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Meal ideas under £1

Comments

• ellieo
    ellieo Posts: 758
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    could anyone tell me how to make corned beef hash please
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    ellieo wrote: »
    could anyone tell me how to make corned beef hash please

I'm looking for the definitive CBH recipe but it seems that, if you ask 100 people for this, you get 101 answers.

The core ingredients do seem to be potato, onion and CB. The main question seems to be whether you boil and mash the potatoes (more time and washing up but healthier) or dice and fry them with the onion (quick, easy and s*d the arteries).

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=49020
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • ellieo
    ellieo Posts: 758
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ok thanks, i will take a look
  • falady wrote: »
    Hi princesstippytoes,

what are devilled mushrooms please?

Thanks,

Ali x

Devilled mushrooms are easy cheap and tasty. Fry mushrooms in olive oil or butter. Put in some garlic, worcestershire sauce, chilli flakes, and pepper. Then some cream or creme fraice. Make a bit of toast and put it on top and enjoy!
    Life is too short to waste a minute of it complaining about bad luck. Find joy in the simple things, show your love for those around you and be grateful for all that you have. :)
  • Morganmoo
    Morganmoo Posts: 103 Forumite
    Hi to everyone,
    My family love my home made fishcakes, it is really easy and cheap to make!
    Tin of Tuna or pink salmon (good for omega 3)
    Few potatoes
    butter/marg

Basically boil potatoes, mash, mix in butter/marg-however much you fancy, mix in a tin of tuna/pink salmon which can both be bought cheaply. Shape into fishcake rounds and bake until golden.
    Cheap/easy and quick!!
    You can add onion too.;)
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    shazziere wrote: »
    slightly off topic but....the 8p noodles have disappeared from my tesco.i'm gutted.Has anyone else noticed this?
    I noticed on the labels about 5 weeks ago that they were discontinuing them, as well as the value flour? Havent been to check if its all gone. But with the flour prices etc now I suppose it would have.
    I have often fed the whole family for less then £1 a head, and we eat well. But havent costed things of late, so I will have to come back to you on that one.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Last year i was a student living in non catered halls and now i live with my bf, but am still a fultime student so cheap meals are plentiful for us...however i do like to eat healthy meals too.

last year i ate a lot of:
    noodles with some bacon thrown in
    scrambled egg on toast
    jacket potatos with tuna and salad
    various salads with ham/cheese etc

now i have a bit more time and another mouth to feed its a little easier:
    hm burgers made with lean mince beef......the pack is £2.30 but we get at least four burgers

basmati rice, 2 rashers of bacon, an egg (foo yung) a few mushroom and a handful of frozen peas....all mixed in with a spalsh of soy sauce

hm leek and potato soup

cheese, spring onion and chilli on toast
    :cool:"More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them." - Harold J. Smith:cool:
  • Home made Carrot soup. SOOO cheap and SOOO yummy!

Carrots
    onion
    garlic clove
    chicken or vegetable stock cube
    water
    bay leaf ( optional)

Really goes creamy and tastes like there is a ton of cream in it, feels like you are having a naughty treat buts its a super food and low fat and healthy! and gives you one of your 5 a day! you can also sprinkle fresh corainder ontop as an optional extra.if you had it with home made bread OMG! I am drooling!
  • Morganmoo wrote: »
    Hi to everyone,
    My family love my home made fishcakes, it is really easy and cheap to make!
    Tin of Tuna or pink salmon (good for omega 3)
    Few potatoes
    butter/marg

Basically boil potatoes, mash, mix in butter/marg-however much you fancy, mix in a tin of tuna/pink salmon which can both be bought cheaply. Shape into fishcake rounds and bake until golden.
    Cheap/easy and quick!!
    You can add onion too.;)

do you tend to bake them in the oven or fry them? and do you think some sweetcorn could be added to the mix to bulk it up a bit?
  • also...

aldi do 4 chicken legs and 4 chicken thighs for 1.79
    I put all 4 legs in my slow cooker to make chicken stew and dumplings for the following day and the thighs I use to make a chicken curry for that evening.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure