Great 'What Terms Don't You Know?' Hunt

Comments

• melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i think it might help to have the difference between unlawful and illegal defined (as far as reclaiming charged goes) - just because it can be a flash point for arguements if the wrong one is used and although i have a feel for it, i don't think i could put in one sentence how they're different.
    :happyhear
  • leaphaze
    leaphaze Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ra2000 wrote: »
    I can help you on this one : both terms refer to the stock market (ie the dealing in stocks and shares)

A Bear market is when people are SELLING their shares - basically they fear the market is falling and want to get out quick.

A Bull market is when people are BUYING shares - basically they feel the shares are undervalued and want to buy in as they see these shares cheap.

A simple way to think of the difference as they can be confusing is to look at the second letter in each :
    b E ar = s E ll
    b U ll = b U y

Interesting way to remember.

What I want to know is where these terms originated - and why?
    Wearing my other one today.
  • Bokkens
    Bokkens Posts: 505 Forumite
    'What Terms Don't You Know?' by definition people won't know the terms that they don't know.
    Here is a few I hope they will help others understand their circumstances.

Actuaries,Adverse Selection,AER,APR,Annuity,Asset allocation decisions,Assets,Asymmetric information,Bankruptcy,Bear market,Black monday,Bond,Bridging loan,Broker,Budget,Bull martket,Capital gains tax,Cash flow statement,CSA,Compounding,Conspicuous consumption,consumer society,Consumer soverignty,Co-operative,Council tax,Credit,Credit crunch,Current asset ratio,Cyclical,Debt,Debtor,Defined benefit,Dependant child,Diversification,Dividends,Economies of scale,Equity release scheme,Equity withdrawal,Equity,Equivalised,Ethical investment,EEA,Excess,Financial balance sheet,Financial constraint,Financial exclusion,Financial intermediaries,Fixed cost,Flat rate,Friendly societies,Funded scheme,Gilts,Graduate earning premium,GDP,Gross income,Heuristics,HMCR,Housing associations,Household reference person,,Household saving ratio,Human capital,Income tax,Income,IFAs,Independant risks,ISAs,Inflation,Informal economy,Inheritance tax,Insolvency,IPT,Insurance,Interest rate,Interest,Interest only mortgage,Intestate,joint tenants,KFI,Liability,Liberalisation,Liquid assets,LTV,Market timing,Means tested,Mis-selling,Moral hazard(Ins),MIG,Mortgage,National insurance(NI),Negative equity,Net income,Net savings,Net worth,Occupation,Occupational pension,Opportunity cost,Other things being equal,Overdraft,Owner occupation,Paid employment,Pension,PAYG pension scheme,Pensioner,Peril,Personal pension,Portfolio,Pound cost averaging,Premium bonds,Prime market,Prime lenders,Principle sum,Private pension,Probability,Productivity,Progressive tax,Pure risk,Recession,Redistribution of income,Registered civil partner,Register social landlords(RSL's),Renting,Repayment mortgage,retirment,Right to buy,Risk society,Risk,Risk aversion,Savings,Secured debt,Self insurance,Shares,Small print,Social class,Social norms,Social status,Stamp duty,Standard of living,State additional pension,State pension age,State pension,Status symbol,Stock market,Stock market crash,Sub prime,Symbolic consumption,Tennants in common,Term,Time preference,Trade off,Transferable skills,Trusts,Uncertainty,Un skilled,Unit trusts,Unpaid work,Unsecured debt,Utmost good faith(insurance),Welfare state,Working life,Write off,
    That's it my head aches.
    Previously known as Bokken,registered at MSE in Nov 04,computer glich deleted my access but it is fun building up my stars from scratch,again.:D
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    i think it might help to have the difference between unlawful and illegal defined (as far as reclaiming charged goes) - just because it can be a flash point for arguements if the wrong one is used and although i have a feel for it, i don't think i could put in one sentence how they're different.

I thought I would consult the "oracle" Martin and had a read through his articles but he is just as confusing :o

The way I view it is the amount charged by banks is unlawful but charging is not illegal :confused:
  • Bokkens
    Bokkens Posts: 505 Forumite
    They aren't different they both mean the same a breaking of a law or accepted rule.
    Collins dictionary states;
    1/Forbidden by law,unlawfal,illicit.
    2/Unauthorised or prohibited by a code of official or accepted rules.
    Previously known as Bokken,registered at MSE in Nov 04,computer glich deleted my access but it is fun building up my stars from scratch,again.:D
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just to quickly say the difference beween unlawful and illegal in common parlence is

Unlawful applies to civil offences
    Illegal criminal ones.

Thus you can unlawfully break a contract but it isn't a crime so its not illegal :)

martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I dont know what your eventual plan for this post is, but, it should end up in a prominant position on the front page as a thread so anyone who comes up with a new one can post it.

and have a dedicated member of the crew check the thread once a day-ish (when I say dedicated I mean if its one person, they will know if SOA has been mentioned again so they can ignore it if they know its allready there) we all know people just post stuff without searching first.
  • horsewidow
    horsewidow Posts: 67 Forumite
    Its easy actually.
    Unlawful is against the law, as in law of the land
    Illegal is a sick bird of prey.

Hope this clears things up.
  • DdraigGoch
    DdraigGoch Posts: 730 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Please can someone explain what the AQA stands for - it seems to be an income of some sort, but I really can't work it out!

Thanks in advance
    DG
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    I think it would be handy to have the different benefits in the glossary.

As in WTC (working tax credits) and IB (incapacity benefit), for example, but there's loads more.

I know them myself but it's common for people to ask what they are so I'm guessing many don't.

DG - AQA is a site which pays people for answering questions typed in by other users. People on here have made a fair amount of money by doing this in their own time but you have to pass a test I think. There is a thread about it somewhere if you search the forums - I can't think where it is right now.

Edited to add a link to the AQA website: http://www.63336.com/ The threads appear to be on the debt free wannabe thread. HTH

Unless there is another use of it on here?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure