PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Spill the beans... on uses for old plastic carrier bags

Comments

• I'm a bit of a plastic bag freak, they always get re-used! I usually carry one in my backpack/bag (neatly folded into a triangle :) ) and use it to carry unexpected shopping or to sit on if I need to! I prefer a bag for life for these as I can carry more/have more room for my bum!

I've found that they're very good for washing things like tarpaulins and garden furniture - they don't soak up muck like a cloth or sponge so they're good for just rubbing muddy dirt off with a bit of water. You can always go over them with a cloth afterwards if you need something to be fully clean.

Like another poster, I also pack things in them to go camping; they keep dry things dry and help you find things.

With regard to the "bag for life" debate: when you give them back to the supermarket, do they recycle them? Does that help make them more carbon-effective? It certainly means less plastic waste in land-fill.
  • I use them for kitchen non compostable stuff by hanging on cupboard door knob. I'm an Avon rep so I use them for my customers delivers. If they breed in my carrier bag holder I donate some bags to charity shops. I always carry cloth bags in my handbag. Making us pay for carrier bags was a really good idea! I'm always thinking of other uses for every day items! Drives my boyfriend mad.
  • As Saver0811 says, the Tesco carriers are most definitely bio degradable. I used a couple to cover the summer lounger in the garage and when I went to remove them I was faced with a pile of confetti!
    Rarely use carrier bags at the SM, we take our own re-usable ones - one I bought 18 years ago, a large plastic covered Liberty bag, is still used every week for shopping.
    Normal people worry me.
  • Egghi
    Egghi Posts: 23 Forumite
    I always bring my own reusable bag when I go to supermarkets or I select the 'no bags' option if the shopping is delivered. Nevertheless I have sooo many plastic bags to get rid of!!!!
    We have never bought bags for the bins, so this is where ours are going but I really think it will never happen to get rid of all of them. In a way is good as we recycle them but it always amazes me how we manage to have so many not brining them home from our shopping tours.... !!:mad:
  • If you're moving house, put your plates and breakables inside carrier bags before wrapping in newspapers and packing away. This stops newsprint going on the items and is less washing up to do at the other end.

If sending any gifts by post, use carrier bags to fill in gaps and stop the items moving around and getting broken en-route. You can also do this for padding out boxes when moving home.

When decorating, put a carrier bag over your hand before using the paint roller. This stops you getting the splashback up your arms. If it's a bit annoying loose, use a rubber band to hold it in place. Also, larger carrier bags can be used to line your roller tray (put tray inside carrier and secure with either a knot or a bit of sellotape) and then pour in paint. One less thing to wash & clean afterwards.
  • I hardly ever have plastic bags as I have trained myself to keep bags in the car for when I go shopping and my DD bought me a lovely Cath Kidson on two tears ago which I carry with me with my book or knitting in when I go to pick up the grandchildren from school.
  • me too!! Much better than a bin!
  • The best thing to do with carrier bags is to refuse them when a shop offers you one and use re-usable bags instead - much better for the environment.

The sooner the Welsh 5p levy on single-use carrier bags is rolled-our to the rest of the Uk, the better!
  • You have to look at both ends of a bag's lifecycle. One plastic 'bag for life' takes as much energy as 28 single use ones to make. A canvas bag would need to be used at least 131 times to offset the carbon footprint of making it.

Following up on this, I do reuse my jute bags to the point that one of them started to fall to pieces, I went to the Sainsbury customer service (it was one of the origial 'SO' Sainsbury Organic ones) desk to ask for a replacement (in the same way as the plastic bags for life) to be told "no, you have to buy a replacement"!!!

I have been meaning to contact Sainsbury on this issue, but as yet haven't, although it may be a cause that MSE could take on for me, as it seems crackers that they won't replace them!!
  • I use them for putting large bits of food in the freezer, like bakers bread or large bits of meat.
    I admittedly buy a roll of bags from lidl 20 for 99p (small clear/whitish) bin liners but look exactly like a carrier bag because I want clean ones and rarley buy plastic bags as I have a few canvas bags and plastic boxes.
    Like everyone else I use them for bins, the upstairs ones when full go into one and then I use to light fire to save adding to the landfill.

Scince my council except more things to recycle and take food waste my black bag rubbish is small, but as I do not use a black bag, I get feed sacks FREE from a farm and leave one outside the back door and put rubbish into there untill full, tie with my FREE baler twine from the farm. Most farmers would be happy to give away bags a twine as it collects up fast unless they buy feed in for bulk bins.

My dad doesnt use canvas bags for shopping, he uses a cardboard box and then reuses it untill it is no more. I know an old boy who uses an old hessian feed sack for his shopping.
    :mad: Trying to stay cool under the pressure of life.:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport